Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bustling Urban Neighborhoods Create Parking Tension

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Bustling Urban Neighborhoods Create Parking Tension

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 212 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Bustling Urban Neighborhoods Create Parking Tension

July 12, 2013

by Mandie Trimble

89.7 NPR News Reporter

A new battle is brewing at Columbus City Hall, it’s a fight over parking spaces. People who live in busy, popular neighborhoods want the city to restrict some street parking to residents. Just this week German Village residents failed to get resident parking permits. As WOSU reports, the growing parking crunch is just one side effect of living and working in a bustling urban neighborhood.

READ MORE: http://wosu.org/2012/news/2013/07/12/bustling-urban-neighborhoods-create-parking-tension/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1er4kZ6F54

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Great response from Randy Bowman in the video.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

It’s a good response, but as a SN resident I think the fact of the matter is, that even with all the residential development in the area, there will never be enough housing stock for people that want to “play” in the SN. At this weeks Italian Village Society meeting the question was asked as to whether or not we’re a residential district, or an entertainment district, and unfortunately for some, the answer is both. Striking the balance between the two is where the issue lies.

Perhaps some businesses without dedicated lots, or small parking lots, could update their web or Facebook pages advising people of parking alternatives, or other forms of transportation. I’d also say that people, both residents and visitor’s need to get used to the idea that certain days and hours, you aren’t going to be able to find a spot in front of your destination. Sorry you had to walk half a block to your front door, sorry you had to park two blocks down from the bar, get over it.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

All the recent discussions really highlight the need for improved and alternative transportation. We’re never going to be able to provide enough parking to satisfy demand in our urban neighborhoods.

Graybeak
    Participant

Chances are, you will also never going to be able to get enough people to give up their cars to take advantage of improved and alternative transportation.

People just love the “convenience” of their cars!

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    Chances are, you will also never going to be able to get enough people to give up their cars to take advantage of improved and alternative transportation.

I pretty sure the parking issue demonstrates that cars aren’t always convenient.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

joshlapp said:
    I pretty sure the parking issue demonstrates that cars aren’t always convenient.

I dare say that’s what the quotes implied.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Graybeak said:

Yep.

Mercurius
    Participant

I live in Italian Village. I’m lucky in that I have ample off-street parking–but it’s been daunting in how much of an issue parking has been at neighborhood association meetings. The results of residents complaints about the lack of parking is quickly becoming counter productive to the ideals of new-urbanism and livability.

New builds are only being allowed minimal parking variances and residents of new builds are being denied permits. The results of this has been more surface parking in new developments, limiting density so there are less people with cars and/or no ground level retail–because that space is needed for garages.

I personally think we are just in a time of growing pains. We have bike and car share programs coming soon that I plan to utilize. We still need more density all through our urban core to generate enough demand for alternatives to single occupancy automobiles; e.g. street cars or light rail. If anyone wants to make a low interest loan to me, I’ll build some parking garages in the SN. I think they would be cash cows. I’d still like to see more density and higher quality in Italian Village–and all of our urban core.

Just a thought–but the City of Columbus owns three surface parking lots on High St., in The Short North. Any chance the city could issue bonds and build those surface lots into parking garages? There is also a huge surface lot behind Grandview Mercantile that could be much better utilized and I’m not sure that Lucky’s Towing is the best use for a large parcel of land in IV?

Generally I’ve found that people like money and there is market demand for more parking in The Short North.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Graybeak said:
    Chances are, you will also never going to be able to get enough people to give up their cars…

Just out of curiosity, how much is “enough”? Do you have a raw number or percentage in mind?

I own a car, and I don’t plan on giving it up either, because it’s the most convenient mode for certain tasks and trips. But that doesn’t mean that I also don’t utilize public transit and want to see more improvements made. I imagine that transit/bikes/buses can make a good secondary vehicle/choice for many people in specific neighborhoods.

Anti

Just thinking out loud…

This is one of the places where the “diversity” of the city becomes an issue. Our small city/big town aspect causes a lot of different worlds to collide.

Because our city is smaller and built towards cars, it’s much easier (than say in a national/global city) for suburbanites to hop in the car and drive down to the Short North for dinner, or bars, or whatever. However our city is large enough that once they reach the Short North we have the “big city” problem of no parking. This is often alleviated in larger cities by public transportation as people have said, but due to a host of other political/cultural clashes caused by our small city/big town aspect and the relative newness of Columbus’s boom, we’ve never had an elaborate network connecting to the suburbs. Further, our city is geographically large forcing any such network to be huge and it’s doubtful that the current suburban culture will even embrace such a network.

Vice versa, because our city is small and car friendly, many of the people living in the urban areas still work out in the suburbs. They then require a car at their urban apartment, and want a space, since well, they live there. Whereas in larger cities it’s much easier for people to live in the urban area, and work in the urban area, and have no car whatsoever.

We definitely seem to be in kind of a tween stage of our development that I think we’ll eventually grow out of. Over time it will become harder for suburbanites to jet into the urban core via car, more urban people will work in the urban areas, and someday inevitably (3 generations from now at this rate!) we’ll have a rail system connecting our suburban cores with downtown that suburbanites will actually use!

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker said:
    I imagine that transit/bikes/buses can make a good secondary vehicle/choice for many people in specific neighborhoods.

First, many people would have to consider transit/bikes/buses as viable options. While some do, it doesn’t seem that many do… or at least not enough to affect parking availability.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rus said:
    First, many people would have to consider transit/bikes/buses as viable options.

But how many is “many”? Are you talking about 90% of the population? 50%? 5%?

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker said:
    But how many is “many”? Are you talking about 90% of the population? 50%? 5%?

rus said:
    or at least not enough to affect parking availability.

… in a meaningful way

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

Walker said:
    Just out of curiosity, how much is “enough”? Do you have a raw number or percentage in mind?

I own a car, and I don’t plan on giving it up either, because it’s the most convenient mode for certain tasks and trips. But that doesn’t mean that I also don’t utilize public transit and want to see more improvements made. I imagine that transit/bikes/buses can make a good secondary vehicle/choice for many people in specific neighborhoods.

Our household fits this model. J rides his bike to work, whereas I drive. A lot of our friends living in the SN have a similar arrangement, with one set of roommates in a situation where one walks to work whereas the other drives to Marysville. Ironically, we all have off street parking so these growing permit wars don’t affect us. I don’t want to turn this into a bash COTA thread, but if my car is in the shop, or something as inconsequential as needing to get from one end of High in the SN to another, I’d rather walk, I’m more reliable.

Conversely, city planners should start asking themselves why there is one central “entertainment” district in town. I know German Village and Grandview have their own things going on, but nothing with the vibe that’s been such a success in the SN. I’d love to drive east on Main and see bars and galleries and shops popping up over there, just to distribute the load so to speak.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 212 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE