Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Grill & Grilled Mediterranean fast food replaces Burgers Dogs & Fries

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Grill & Grilled Mediterranean fast food replaces Burgers Dogs & Fries

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author

Pro Se
    Participant

Saw this one coming…

geoyui
    Participant

mbeaumont said:
    I don’t wish anyone bad luck with a downtown business, but I felt these guys were just so uninspired. I mean the name is beyond generic, and their sign looks like one of those mocked up businesses for an architectural rendering. Just screamed, “we’re not even trying”.

Hopefully they’ll put a little more thought and effort into their next endeavor. If they do, I wish them well.

With Graffiti Burger going under and now BDF, maybe there are just too many generic burger joints around town? I really hope something other then a burger/sandwich/pizza joint fills the open spaces.

mbeaumont
    Participant

geoyui said:
    I really hope something other then a burger/sandwich/pizza joint fills the open spaces.

Amen.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I had BDF a few times, and like captain janks, I thought it nicely filled the big fast food void downtown (no Wendy’s, no Burger King, and one lonely McDonald’s over at Grant & Main). While the food at BDF certainly wasn’t gourmet, I thought it was at least as good, if not slightly better than the aforementioned big chains.

My only complaint with BDF is that it was one of those M-F 11am-2pm type of places that are only there to serve lunch and not much else. Closed at night and closed on weekends do not help to make a vibrant urban environment. Of course, you have to do what you have to do to make money as a business and maybe there wasn’t enough demand for them on a Sunday… but I do hope that whatever comes next for that space can have longer hours to serve the growing Downtown population base of late night and weekend workers, visitors, conventioneers and residents.

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

First Cafe Lola and now BDF. Is Cinco the next domino to fall?

I’ve never been impressed with the food quality that the owners of these places have pushed out. There are too many other places around that have better quality food for the same price.

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

captain janks said:
    ringside’s burger IS good, no doubt, but it’s also like 8 bucks for just the burger. fries are like another 2 bucks, then im getting a coke on top of that. plus there’s a server so i have to tip the guy who brings it to my table. so thats like 15 bucks. right there, and i havent even gotten into the booze yet.

i could get a triple patty burger, large fries and a coke at BDF for 8 bucks. that leaves me 7 dollars to buy booze with :)

sure ringside’s quality was a step up… but its a totally different kind of place ya kno? if quality is the only deciding factor, i would just go to mitchells for lunch every day.

also hot dogs. sometimes id just want a nathans dog deep fried, which i don’t think ringside has on their menu.

Touche. The chips that come with the burgers at Ringside are home made and are quite delicious though. That could save you $2 and get you a frosty domestic draft at happy hour.

joev
    Participant

I think a Five Guys would do great there.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

murfmurphy said:

I’m pretty sure the owners sold Cinco a few years ago to someone else.

They also once did Frezno Eclectic Kitchen (where Union is now located), Dagwoodz and were once owners of The Pres Grill.

I have a feeling that this is not the last we’ve heard from Kevin & Lori Ames. ;)

Jman4ever
    Participant

geoyui said:
    With Graffiti Burger going under and now BDF, maybe there are just too many generic burger joints around town? I really hope something other then a burger/sandwich/pizza joint fills the open spaces.

Graffiti Burger going down… Hope not.
    Hope it is just the two shops that they have closed. (Clintonville and the Reynoldsburg one from a couple years ago)

surber17
    Participant

murfmurphy said:

I’ve never been impressed with the food quality that the owners of these places have pushed out. There are too many other places around that have better quality food for the same price.

I would love to see a survey of people who live at River South and where they eat. Was this place too far away? If they advertised to those residents and tried evening hours would it work?

leftovers

surber17 said:
    I would love to see a survey of people who live at River South and where they eat. Was this place too far away? If they advertised to those residents and tried evening hours would it work?

Cafe Napolitana just down the street is open 12-8 mon&tues, 12-10pm Wed to Sat

BD&F really just did the minimal amount of work for the most return. Imho, it is a shortsighted Walmart-esque approach that doesn’t lead to growth in the neighborhood.

I would love to see a more active local business at the Commons.

joev
    Participant

surber17 said:

I’m not sure their product would have appealed as a frequent dinner choice for residents of downtown.

mrpoppinzs

^ I live downtown and would like more evening options including casual fare.

captain janks
    Participant

Walker said:
    My only complaint with BDF is that it was one of those M-F 11am-2pm type of places that are only there to serve lunch and not much else. Closed at night and closed on weekends do not help to make a vibrant urban environment. Of course, you have to do what you have to do to make money as a business and maybe there wasn’t enough demand for them on a Sunday…

if you don’t serve alcohol, then its just not really worth it to stay open into the night. after 3PM, these places are DEAD. you just dont get enough people coming in after lunch and up until dinner to justify staying open. if you stayed open, you’d be losing money by paying the staff.

the vast majority of people who are downtown at lunch time are gone at 5pm. the handful of people who are down there aren’t enough to keep you open i dont think. and out of the people who ARE down there after 5pm, many of them don’t buy anything, they just want to take a poop and maybe smoke some crack in your bathroom real fast.

kind of a catch 22 i guess… not enough people to justify staying open, and not staying open doesn’t help attract people…

the saving grace is serving alcohol. every place that’s open down there past 6pm serves booze.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

I happen to glance over today and noticed a temporary sign hanging above the restaurant that said “Grill & Grill” Could be wrong.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE