Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Grill & Grilled Mediterranean fast food replaces Burgers Dogs & Fries

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Grill & Grilled Mediterranean fast food replaces Burgers Dogs & Fries

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Noticed a sign on the window this afternoon:

“BDF is now closed. Exciting new concept coming soon. Thanks for 5 great years. -Staff at BDF”

leftovers

fingers crossed…Hoping they close the one at the Commons too.

bucki12

I think they closed on the 1st. They seemed to do a decent lunch crowd but the food was not very remarkable.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

bucki12 said:
    I think they closed on the 1st. They seemed to do a decent lunch crowd but the food was not very remarkable.

Hate to say it, but Wendy’s is better. Staff at BDF was friendly though.

joev
    Participant

They had crinkle-cut fries. Shudder.

leftovers

leftovers said:
    fingers crossed…Hoping they close the one at the Commons too.

I should clarify, I thought their hours were horrible for such a nice venue.

mbeaumont
    Participant

I don’t wish anyone bad luck with a downtown business, but I felt these guys were just so uninspired. I mean the name is beyond generic, and their sign looks like one of those mocked up businesses for an architectural rendering. Just screamed, “we’re not even trying”.

Hopefully they’ll put a little more thought and effort into their next endeavor. If they do, I wish them well.

GCrites80s
    Participant

mbeaumont said:
    I mean the name is beyond generic, and their sign looks like one of those mocked up businesses for an architectural rendering.

Like restaurants called Füd?

mbeaumont
    Participant

Is that a dig at Brü? That name didn’t bother me at all, and anyway they’re now called North High Brewing so it’s a moot point. I kinda like Füd! :D

GCrites80s
    Participant

I didn’t even know about the other place. That’s funny.

mbeaumont
    Participant

GCrites80s said:
    I didn’t even know about the other place. That’s funny.

Oh, haha! Never mind then! ;)

MHJ
    Participant

No surprise there. Food wasn’t very good at all. I hope something better takes its place.

captain janks
    Participant

Analogue Kid said:
    Hate to say it, but Wendy’s is better. Staff at BDF was friendly though.

LOL you’re off your rocker son. wendys has been crap since at least 2005. now maybe you’re talking about the wendys of yore when it was actually good?

joev said:
    They had crinkle-cut fries. Shudder.

oil temp and frying technique are what makes a good fry, not the shape. personally, i really liked BDF fries. now if you dont like crinkle b/c you dont like frozen, that makes sense… crinkles usually are the hallmark of a frozen fry… ive had awesome frozen fries and have had shitty fresh cut fries… it’s really all about the cooking.

mbeaumont said:
    I don’t wish anyone bad luck with a downtown business, but I felt these guys were just so uninspired. I mean the name is beyond generic, and their sign looks like one of those mocked up businesses for an architectural rendering. Just screamed, “we’re not even trying”.

Hopefully they’ll put a little more thought and effort into their next endeavor. If they do, I wish them well.

yeah they totally should have called it something like Prof. VJ Cornucopia’s Fantastic Foodmagorium & Great American Steakery…

really though, its whats on the INSIDE that counts. i peronally liked that the name was straight to the point. you know what they have before you even walk in the door. it was function over form. i can think of a number of places that should have spent less time coming up with a flashy sign and kitschy name, and spent more time making sure their food and their service was on point.

now let’s be clear… im not saying this place should have had a michelin star… but for what it was (a downtown, lunchtime burger spot) it was great. you could get in, get your burger and GTFO, and still have time to spare on your lunch break to sneak back into ringside and have a drink to get your mind right before you go back to your desk and slave away for your overlords.

i really liked the burgers. double baco cheese + bbq and cole slaw = THE SLAM. the staff was awesome too. everyone in there was super cool and super nice.

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

captain janks said:
    LOL you’re off your rocker son. wendys has been crap since at least 2005. now maybe you’re talking about the wendys of yore when it was actually good?

oil temp and frying technique are what makes a good fry, not the shape. personally, i really liked BDF fries.

yeah they totally should have called it something like Prof. VJ Cornucopia’s Fantastic Foodmagorium & Great American Steakery…

really though, its whats on the INSIDE that counts. i peronally liked that the name was straight to the point. you know what they have before you even walk in the door. it was function over form. i can think of a number of places that should have spent less time coming up with a flashy sign and kitschy name, and spent more time making sure their food and their service was on point.

now let’s be clear… im not saying this place should have had a michelin star… but for what it was (a downtown, lunchtime burger spot) it was great. you could get in, get your burger and GTFO, and still have time to spare on your lunch break to sneak back into ringside and have a drink to get your mind right before you go back to your desk and slave away for your overlords.

Why not just spend your lunch at Ringside and enjoy one of their delicious burgers? Which are much better than what you could get at BDF.

captain janks
    Participant

murfmurphy said:
    Why not just spend your lunch at Ringside and enjoy one of their delicious burgers? Which are much better than what you could get at BDF.

ringside’s burger IS good, no doubt, but it’s also like 8 bucks for just the burger. fries are like another 2 bucks, then im getting a coke on top of that. plus there’s a server so i have to tip the guy who brings it to my table. so thats like 15 bucks. right there, and i havent even gotten into the booze yet.

i could get a triple patty burger, large fries and a coke at BDF for 8 bucks. that leaves me 7 dollars to buy booze with :)

sure ringside’s quality was a step up… but its a totally different kind of place ya kno? if quality is the only deciding factor, i would just go to mitchells for lunch every day.

also hot dogs. sometimes id just want a nathans dog deep fried, which i don’t think ringside has on their menu.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE