Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Burger King to Buy Tim Hortons for $11.4 Billion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Burger King to Buy Tim Hortons for $11.4 Billion

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • Author
    hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rocky67 wrote:</div>
    I don’t understand why our government officials and elected politicians will not tackle the real problem or issue at hand which is the excessive or large corporate tax we have in this country. Our corporate tax is much higher than other industrialized countries such as Germany, Switzerland etc. They need to lower it to make us more competitive and close all the special loopholes. I don’t blame companies for avoiding excessive taxation. I think all companies/corporations should pay taxes but not be gouged. I’m also hoping that our elected officials will raise minimum wage…

Our Corp taxes are much higher but our personal taxes are FAR lower. Would you be in favor of a 50% decrease in corp tax if it came along with a 25% increase in personal income tax?

Good observations. Here is some more food for thought.

Who actually pays the corporate income tax? Is it the shareholders? Is it the board members/officers/employees? Is it the customers? There are probably different answers for different industries.

Another issue, tax compliance (filling out tax returns and reporting the information to the government) by corporations is usually complex and expensive. Tax enforcement (review of the filed information, audit, and collection) by the government is almost always more difficult and more expensive for corporate taxpayers than it is for individual taxpayers (almost always, there are always a few individuals who file amazingly complex returns – I have worked on a few of those).

I think that the primary purpose of a tax agency (and tax laws) should be to raise the revenues that government needs to operate. Ideally this should be done in a way that is fair (ambiguous term, I know). It should also be easy and inexpensive for the taxpayer to comply with. This in turn will make it easier for the government to enforce the law and collect the tax.

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: