Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Burger King to Buy Tim Hortons for $11.4 Billion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Burger King to Buy Tim Hortons for $11.4 Billion

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Burger King to Buy Tim Hortons for $11.4 Billion
    By MICHAEL J. DE LA MERCED AUGUST 26, 2014

Burger King Worldwide agreed on Tuesday to buy the Canadian restaurant chain Tim Hortons for about $11.4 billion, creating one of the biggest fast-food operations in the world – with a little help from Warren E. Buffett.

READ MORE: http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/08/26/burger-king-to-buy-tim-hortons-for-11-4-billion/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

El Diablo Einstein
    Participant

Here we go with another tax inversion. No more will I eat there (not that I really ate there before).

Chrysee
    Chrysee
    Participant

This reminds me of when Kmart bought Sears. I remember thinking at the time, surely it’s the other way around? How in the world is Kmart in a position to buy Sears??

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m at the Burger King.

I’m at the Timmy Ho’s.

I’m at the com-bin-a-tion Burger King and Timmy Ho’s.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I’m at the Burger King.

I’m at the Timmy Ho’s.

Will they make them “king bits” ?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Will they make them “king bits” ?

ctonn
    Participant

Flame-broiled maple-glazed-donut-bunned Whopper?

With bacon, natch.

EvilAnton
    EvilAnton
    Participant

Here we go with another tax inversion. No more will I eat there (not that I really ate there before).

Another huge corporation gorging itself on a smaller one. Just to avoid paying american taxes. Shameful considering that it was Americans that bought the shitty burgers in the first place.

http://onpoint.wbur.org/2014/08/26/income-inequality-plutocrats-minimum-wage

rocky67
    Participant

I don’t understand why our government officials and elected politicians will not tackle the real problem or issue at hand which is the excessive or large corporate tax we have in this country. Our corporate tax is much higher than other industrialized countries such as Germany, Switzerland etc. They need to lower it to make us more competitive and close all the special loopholes. I don’t blame companies for avoiding excessive taxation. I think all companies/corporations should pay taxes but not be gouged. I’m also hoping that our elected officials will raise minimum wage…

Rodgers
    Participant

I’m at the Burger King.

I’m at the Timmy Ho’s.

So…Burger Ho?

Graybeak
    Participant

So, I wonder. What will happen to all of the locations that are still dual Wendy’s/Tim Horton’s?

DLDude
    Participant

I don’t understand why our government officials and elected politicians will not tackle the real problem or issue at hand which is the excessive or large corporate tax we have in this country. Our corporate tax is much higher than other industrialized countries such as Germany, Switzerland etc. They need to lower it to make us more competitive and close all the special loopholes. I don’t blame companies for avoiding excessive taxation. I think all companies/corporations should pay taxes but not be gouged. I’m also hoping that our elected officials will raise minimum wage…

Our Corp taxes are much higher but our personal taxes are FAR lower. Would you be in favor of a 50% decrease in corp tax if it came along with a 25% increase in personal income tax?

geoyui
    Participant

This is legit …

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

This is legit …

IT HAS BEGUN.

gramarye
    Participant

Note that businesses still pay corporate income tax on money earned in the USA. What they avoid by going elsewhere is the one conceit America attempts that no one else even has the gall to try: No other developed country tries to tax corporations on money they didn’t even earn in the taxing country, just by virtue of bringing it back to the taxing country.

This is one reason why Apple’s massive stockpile of cash is largely in its overseas units. It’s already paid Canadian tax, German tax, etc. on those profits, but it will pay taxes again if it brings the money back to the US.

Since BK has a very large brick-and-mortar presence in the US, it will still pay a massive amount of US taxes, including income taxes (in addition to sales and payroll taxes, of course). Indeed, for the lives of most non-investors, where a company operates is far more important than where it has its headquarters. And for companies that operate by selling goods (services can be a bit different), a company’s vendors also matter more than the headquarters location, because COGS often represents a high portion of their total budget, so where that money goes can make or break more metro areas than where a headquarters goes.

Wal-Mart is headquartered in the US, but a huge amount of its money goes to China when it buys from its vendors. (Wal-Mart does source a lot of its goods from within the US, too, of course, and in fact it’s been going more and more in that direction recently.) Honda is headquartered in Japan, but if you buy a Honda in the U.S., the odds are against it having actually been shipped here from Japan. Most likely, American workers built that car. Etc. etc. etc.

Don’t get me wrong, headquarters locations matter. But they aren’t everything, especially in low-profit-margin industries. (Remember that if Burger King makes a 10% profit on every burger it sells, then 90% of the purchase price went elsewhere–to BK’s own workers, to farms and ranches supplying BK, to Sysco for delivering umpteen metric tons of napkins and plastic utensils to BK’s restaurants, etc.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION