Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Building Collapse in OTE

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Building Collapse in OTE

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

This is really sad. I had high hopes for this project. This building is very close to our house. At this point, I don’t know if the building can be saved. Most of the east wall has collapsed. I sincerely hope that the owner’s insurance is adequate.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

GeeDee
    Participant

I’m not sure it will make much difference with the shape it was in. Now I suspect the whole thing will be knocked down.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Sounds like there’s a good chance it can be repaired…

https://www.columbusunderground.com/wall-collapses-at-historic-building-in-olde-towne-east

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Sounds like they should be going after the State and Federal Historic Tax Credit. This is the type of project that these credits were created for!

OneBagTravel
    Participant

… to it’s previous run down and abandoned status as before? ;) I kid, I kid.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

… to it’s previous run down and abandoned status as before? ;)

No, to this:

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/historic-oak-street-building-to-see-retail-and-apartment-renovation

OneBagTravel
    Participant

dculberson
    Participant

In the pictures of the collapsed structure, there really isn’t enough stuff in the rubble. Did someone steal all of the structure from the inside? It looks like all that was left was the outside skin, there aren’t even broken roof trusses laying inside. Or have they already cleaned up some by the time of the pictures?

rus
    rus
    Participant

In the pictures of the collapsed structure, there really isn’t enough stuff in the rubble. Did someone steal all of the structure from the inside? It looks like all that was left was the outside skin, there aren’t even broken roof trusses laying inside. Or have they already cleaned up some by the time of the pictures?

Here’s another angle:

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Here are some pictures of the scene as of 5:30 PM on Monday. The situation is not good. We talked with a man who was involved with the demolition. He said that the west exterior wall was in about as bad a shape as the now completely demolished east exterior wall. He said he was surprised that the entire building did not collapse from the weight of the snow on it this past winter. He expects enough debris to be cleared for Ohio to be open, but it will take some more time before Oak will be safe.

Regarding the lack of interior components, I was told that the new owner had been removing parts of the building as part of the process of renovating the structure. Unfortunately, removing the first and second floor also weakened the structure.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant
    King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

Unfortunately, removing the first and second floor also weakened the structure.

I’m no structural engineer, but Uhh no shit removing the floors weakened a brick building.

I hope they actually do finish rehabbing the building, but hopefully in a way that won’t destroy the rest of it.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

On the bright side a great new patio space just fell into their lap… Maybe just keep the front facade for the westernmost section

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Rus, how did you get a view from the second floor?

rus
    rus
    Participant

Rus, how did you get a view from the second floor?

I didn’t. That’s from the reddit thread.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

KEEP LOCAL JOURNALISM HEALTHY.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE