Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Buggyworks Office Building

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Buggyworks Office Building

This topic contains 29 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

A161830
    Participant

My guess is the parts they are demolishing are portions of the building that were added on over time for specific manufacturing uses that wouldn’t make sense to rehab. They are keeping the original building and probably getting historic tax credits to off-set some of the cost of the rehab. If you look at the building on google maps you can clearly see which portion was added on after the fact (the eastern half that extends all the way back to Brodbelt).

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Glad something is happening with the site but it’s kind of a shame they will be demolishing so much of the the Eastern portion and not building anything in its place.

I dunno… the addition portion is kinda ugly. Will probably be an improvement to have it gone.

tfrance
    tfrance
    Participant

Every time there is an article about The Buggyworks there is always a comment that states the original Buggyworks Lofts will remain residential and Nationwide has no plans to change anything with the existing residential building. Considering Nationwide does not own the residential building, they have no say on what happens with it or it’s surrounding property.

heresthecasey
    Participant

My guess is the parts they are demolishing are portions of the building that were added on over time for specific manufacturing uses that wouldn’t make sense to rehab. They are keeping the original building and probably getting historic tax credits to off-set some of the cost of the rehab. If you look at the building on google maps you can clearly see which portion was added on after the fact (the eastern half that extends all the way back to Brodbelt).

I’m sure demolishing it is the easiest answer, and it’s not the best looking building, but IMO that’s going to remove a lot of mass and create a huge open area in a part of downtown that has too much already.

Spacing everything out with passive landscaping and surface parking lots in between may be cost-effective and convenient for individual tenants, but it really isn’t shaping the neighborhood West of Neil into cohesive or vibrant urban space.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Considering Nationwide does not own the residential building, they have no say on what happens with it or it’s surrounding property.

But not everyone knows that.

I try to never overestimate the questions the general public will have when reading an article.

And I guarantee that if that sentence was left out then the very first question someone would ask would be “what’s happening to the condos?”

drtom1234
    Participant

Wait a second? Nationwide is knocking down something that’s brick??? But, but, that’s there go to material!
    It’s like the world is turning upside down!

heresthecasey
    Participant

Spacing everything out with passive landscaping and surface parking lots in between may be cost-effective and convenient for individual tenants, but it really isn’t shaping the neighborhood West of Neil into cohesive or vibrant urban space.

Case in point:

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2014/06/first-look-nationwide-realty-s-buggyworks-plans.html

futureman
    Participant

Also noted in the above article is that they will be putting a second layer of (new) brick on the outside due to insulation needs. I’m not sure how I feel about that yet. One would hope it would match as closely as possible to the neighboring buggyworks condos, but it’ll be hard to match a hundred years worth of weathering.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Case in point:

Give them time. The Arena District was half surface parking when The Arena opened in 2000, and lot by lot, it’s all been filled in.

Not that it shouldn’t always be questioned, but there seems to be a track record with NRI where surface lot placement in that area is placeholder until the right opportunities for continued development comes along.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Not sure about the new brick layer either. It almost looks like a brand new building in that rendering. It has zero character.

Pablo
    Participant

It’s strange they’re knocking down a 3 story building with potential leasable space for a small parking lot and meaningless green space. Perhaps the interior is in poor condition and the truck dock portion might create problems but those could be dealt with. The facade could be spruced up – I can see it from my office and it’s not hideous, is certainly has an industrial vibe.

Pablo
    Participant

There’s a construction fence surrounding the building.

jake0582
    Participant

The parts of the building that they are knocking down are painted cement blocks that are neither historical nor pleasing to look at. A park in that spot will be a welcome change.

The homeowners association for the neighboring Buggyworks residential building did protest at city meetings about the re-bricking of the facade, but to no effect. You can’t really argue with Nationwide. The Buggyworks is one of the most popular photo locations in the city. Everything from wedding photos to senior portraits to music videos are constantly being done in that alleyway when the weather is nice. It’s a shame to lose a building with so much character. The sample pallets of bricks that they have there now are the same old dull bricks Nationwide has used everywhere else.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Looks like demo has begun at Buggyworks:

FROM HERE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-march-2015-part-1

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Got some new photos in this month’s Construction Roundup:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-september-2015

Here’s a few extras too:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Got 5 minutes? Please take our 2019 demographic survey and tell us a bit about yourself and share your thoughts on how CU can improve!