Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Budd Dairy / Durable Slate Redevelopment in Italian Village

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Budd Dairy / Durable Slate Redevelopment in Italian Village

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Breaking this out into its own separate thread for discussion. Proposal is for select demolition to smaller buildings on the three blocks surrounding the Budd Dairy Building and new infill development all around it.

More details coming soon.

Development by Kevin Lykens / Renderings via Tim Lai Architect:

Mike88
    Participant

Very Exciting stuff, 4th street has come a long way in the last few years. Hopefully we can continue to grow the retail side of the area as well.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

This is awesome! I’d love to see a few more close-up renders of the different aspects of this project. But I really like the concept. I always thought the Budd Dairy building was a little under appreciated. It deserves to be the centerpiece of a new development.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

Well I just took a more detailed look at the proposal and while I like the site plan and restoration of the Budd Dairy building the rest of it looks pretty bad. Also, gray painted brick veneers and cement siding? This could look really cheap.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

mbeaumont
    Participant

Keep in mind, the commission hasn’t even seen this yet, no doubt this will go through a few rounds before anything is greenlit. But very exciting development!

dru
    Participant

i think there will be some interesting discussion at the IVC
    Bldg 3 is a rehab of the front of Budd Dairy
    Bldgs 2, 5, & 6 are open land or parking
    However Bldg 1 & 4 require demo of multiple existing structures

News
    Participant

Transformative Redevelopment of Budd Dairy Site Proposed in Italian Village
    March 14, 2015 2:32 pm – Walker Evans

The Budd Dairy Company building on North Fourth Street is one of the largest and most recognizable structures in Italian Village. A new proposal from Lykens Companies plans to not only restore and preserve the building, but also aims to compliment it with five additional modern mixed-use buildings flanking it to the north, south and east.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/transformative-redevelopment-of-budd-dairy-site-proposed-in-italian-village

goldenidea
    Participant

This plan looks very promising overall and points to a development that will have a very positive impact on N. 4th St and NE IV. I wonder if the IVC may value and want or retain some portion of the historic brick structures where Building 4 and it’s parking lot would be sited. Also, if Building 4 is built to be four stories as shown on the plan, that might be a bit imposing as it fronts on N 6th St and E 4th Ave, both of which now hold only 2 or 2-1/2 story single and 2-family residential dwellings, a 2-1/2 story historic church, and the existing single story historic brick warehouse thats on the Budd site. If I recall details correctly, Joe Armeni plans to build 2-1/2 story townhouses across N. 6t St. south of the church.

BTW, on the site plan, N.6th St. is mis-labeled(?) Peru Alley.

irishmurph
    Participant

I like the idea of projects that preserve historic buildings while mixing in new and economically viable elements, but those elevations posted by Gambrinus are pretty darn ugly, so hopefully that can be improved.

News
    Participant

Commission Prefers to See Budd Dairy Warehouses Preserved
    March 20, 2015 1:26 pm – Walker Evans

A transformative proposal for the Budd Dairy site in Italian Village was announced last week, suggesting the replacement of several older single-story warehouse structures with new modern mixed-use apartment buildings, along with the restoration of the historic Budd Dairy building. The project went in front of the Italian Village Commission on Tuesday, and several commissioners asked that the warehouse be given a second look.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/commission-prefers-to-see-budd-dairy-warehouses-preserved

rory
    Participant

Glad the commission is going to think about demolition on this one. The warehouses could be a nice rehabilitation project. Another thing that ought to be pointed out that significance goes beyond just the architecture. While the Budd Dairy building is quite nice its real significance is historical as much as architectural since it was involved in what is thought to be one of the very first successful African American civil rights boycotts. In the early 1920s, the Budd family advertised their new soft drink in the The Fiery Cross, the official paper of the Ohio Ku Klux Klan. When the surrounding African American and Italian neighborhoods found out about the advertisement they boycotted the company and forced the Budd family to sell out in less than a year.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Now that is a helluva post.

Thanks for sharing that, Rory.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The warehouses could be a nice rehabilitation project.

I’ve often thought that they could make a nice “North Market” type of project if opened up to rear-entrance and had windows reinstalled. Throw in a few bakers, butchers, food manufacturers, etc…

Of course, I have no idea how conducive the inside of the buildings would be to that use.

Or if that’s even a viable business model for a private owner (the North Market is operated by a nonprofit).

goldenidea
    Participant

Throw in a few bakers, butchers, food manufacturers, etc…

Sounds similar to what was going to be built a block north at 4th & 5th: the Weinland Park food campus.
    Since that 3M site has issues preventing construction at that location, maybe they could look at part of the Budd site.

edg126
    edg126
    Participant

That sounds like The Source in Denver. A very cool spot out there.

http://thesourcedenver.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: