Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

North High Brewing Company

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion North High Brewing Company

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 112 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

BRU is Bringing Brew-on-Premises Concept to Columbus

Published on March 13, 2012 7:00 am

By: Walker

Something is brewing at 1288 North High Street. Yes, we’re talking about yet another beer-brewing business in the works, but this one has a couple of unique twists. BRU is the name of the new venture from co-founders Tim Ward and Gavin Meyers, which will become the region’s first “brew-on-premises” concept.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/bru-is-bringing-brew-on-premises-concept-to-columbus

Meet BRU Master Charlie Davis

Published on August 26, 2012 11:15 am

By: Walker

Columbus’ first brew-on-premises concept has taken another step toward opening. BRU has grown its team by another member with the hiring of Charlie Davis as the head brewmaster.

Davis arrived in Columbus by way of Chicago where he’s been honing his craft at several regional breweries including Finch’s Beer Company and Crown Brewing.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/meet-bru-master-charlie-davis

howatzer
    Participant

Yeah, that’s great and all but when’s the opening? “Summer 2012” is quickly running out. The facebook page is a ghost town.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

They’re now aiming for October/November.

howatzer
    Participant

glad just to hear that this is still going through since there were rumors otherwise. I think the you-brew concept will flop and this will be just a brewpub in a few years – (e.g. Camelot Cellars) – but redevelopment of that corner is critical.

ETA: Nothing wrong with “just” a brewpub there anyway.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Seems risky indeed. Who knows though..

howatzer
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:
    Seems risky indeed. Who knows though..

right – i think they would have been better off starting with a brewpub and then adding the self-brew facilities if there was demand.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think I met Charlie when he was in town. I was organizing the home brew competition at the time and the beer he gave me got lost behind all the organization. I bet the cans are still good, can’t wait to dig them out.
    Nice guy.

BRU

Hey everybody, BRU here. Long time reader, first time poster blah blah :)

@howatzer, Summer 2012 is running out quickly indeed. When we found and fell in love with our location at 1288 North High Street last fall, our original plan was to open in the spring. However, we quickly found that city building permits and parking requirements, state and local liquor licensing, and federal brewing regulations would push us out to at least the Summer. Add to this the complexities of refurbishing a gigantic 100-ish year old building (and one in which we are not the only tenants), and I’m sure you can understand our frustration in not yet being open. We want to be open ASAP, but we certainly want to make sure we are open correctly before we are open quickly. That being said, Walker was correct that we are now shooting for a more attainable and realistic October/November opening.

With regard to the Brewpub concept, we feel that the Columbus region is already blessed with local greats like CBC, Barleys (x2), and Elevator; and these plus national players Gordon Biersch and BJ’s make the Columbus market already well served with a high-quality and diverse selection of brewpubs. Based on the overwhelming success of 3 Brew-on-Premise establishments in the greater Cleveland area, we are confident that we will find tremendous local support in Columbus from those seeking a unique craft beer establishment focusing on education and experience. Also, …we’re beer guys and want to leave the restaurant piece to the restaurant guys :)

@Mister Shifter- As with any new venture, there is inherent risk. Understanding this, we have sought to mitigate the risk by providing Columbus residents an unparalleled and unique combination of 4 business units:
    1) Brew on Premise – Customers can brew their own batches of craft beer, leave it to ferment for a couple weeks, and return to bottle it or keg it for personal enjoyment or gifting. This education and experience is the reason we exist.
    2) Retail bar – Our full liquor license will allow us to serve not just our own beer, but many other craft beers on a 30-tap draught system alongside many more in bottles, and a craft cocktail menu unmatched in Columbus.
    3) Homebrew supply sales – Already a homebrewer? Interested in starting homebrewing? We will carry a full assortment of ingredients, supplies and equipment for everyone from the beginner to the expert homebrewer.
    4) Wholesale – We can’t wait for the day that some of our best beers can be enjoyed at local area restaurants and bars.

@0Angle- Charlie remembers you, and says that if you want some fresher Finch’s, head over to our friends at Weilands for the freshest in town. (but your cans should still be good)

@everyone- We’re tremendously excited about opening for business soon on the best street in the best neighborhood in the best city in the US (in our humble and biased opinion), and we can’t wait for you all to stop in and experience craft beer with several unique twists.

Also, an exclusive offer to readers of this post in particular and CU in general… Shoot us a PM through CU, and we will invite you to our test-brewing facility (the home of one of our founders in Clintonville) to meet Charlie and get the first tastes of some of our test batches as we hone our recipes prior to our opening.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Something is BRUing!…

Anonymous
    Inactive

BRU said:
    All the right things.

Welcome. This town is awesome enough to support all of us.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

BRU said:
    Also, an exclusive offer to readers of this post in particular and CU in general… Shoot us a PM through CU, and we will invite you to our test-brewing facility (the home of one of our founders in Clintonville) to meet Charlie and get the first tastes of some of our test batches as we hone our recipes prior to our opening.

Nice! Just saw the updated photo on Facebook! ALL this beer isn’t going to drink itself! ;)

ricospaz
    Participant

Excellent. I love beer!

meltsintowonder
    Participant

If this is anything like Brew Kettle in Strongsville, sign me up. Great hangout for their brews along with solid guest taps. They have good BBQ too but we’ll come for good beer alone. Best of luck to you.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Via Facebook:

OK BRU fans, here’s a sneak peak at our brand new brewing equipment. Gorgeous copper and stainless all gleaming and nearly ready to brew up some delicious craft beer! And wait ’til you see the rest of it… All we can say is that our kettle layout is the first of its kind in the world.

We’re working hard to open next month and things are moving along quite well, so stay tuned for the latest news on our opening!

News
    Participant

BRU signifies another leap in DIY beer in Columbus
    By Jesse Tigges
    From the December 13, 2012 edition

Everyone likes beer. Some people love it. Homebrewers are obsessed with it. Making your own beer is becoming more popular and the increasing number of first-timers giving it a shot is readily apparent. But the established homebrewers becoming more immersed in the culture is also driving this trend.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusalive.com/content/stories/2012/12/13/bru-signifies-another-leap-in-diy-beer-in-columbus.html

Liner Notes
    Liner Notes
    Participant

Bru is open today!

The wife and I went there last night for a pre-opening party. The space looks great and the beers are tasty! We tried their IPA, ESB and Milk Stout. All quality brews with everything you would expect from each. I prefer hoppy beers, so my favorite was the IPA. The milk stout surprised me though. So if that’s your style, I think you will be very happy here.

Now that I’m thinking about it, I might have to put a back in fifteen minutes sign on my door and stop over for a liquid lunch. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 112 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: