Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Broadmeadows Boulevard?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Broadmeadows Boulevard?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    hannahcamille
    hannahcamille
    Participant

A friend and I are looking at a 2 bedroom apartment owned by Peak Property Group that’s right on the border of Clintonville and Worthington, on Broadmeadows Boulevard. Initially, I thought we were in the clear because of the area. However, I’ve read mixed things about that particular street.

Will two single young professional women who keep to themselves be safe in that area? Peak Property’s area of that road seems safe – off-street parking, secure building, etc. Just curious to see what other people have to say. Thanks!

rus
    rus
    Participant

I’m not as familiar with that area as with other areas, but it doesn’t look bad. Usual property crime reports.

Your timing made me think of the woman and two children who were stabbed to death there on Thanksgiving, 2010.

Not sure everyone who gets their car broken into (etc) files a police report. I do have acquaintances who live there. They seem to have survived fine so far. All the same, when someone mentions “Broadmeadows” in my neighborhood, it typically elicits a nod and implies iffy-ness.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Your timing made me think of the woman and two children who were stabbed to death there on Thanksgiving, 2010.

Not sure everyone who gets their car broken into (etc) files a police report. I do have acquaintances who live there. They seem to have survived fine so far. All the same, when someone mentions “Broadmeadows” in my neighborhood, it typically elicits a nod and implies iffy-ness.

Duly noted.

Les Schtroumpfs
    Participant

That is a pretty unique street in that area. I wouldn’t choose to live there unless I couldn’t find another place I could afford nearby, which I’m sure you can. I know several pizza places that won’t deliver to that particular street. Cheap apartments but mostly pretty run down, by that I mean, built in the 70’s and 80’s and not much updating. Thin walls, poor maintenance. You get what you pay for. I’d say you are much better off to find a place on the East side of High along the same stretch. Lots of reasonably priced single family rentals that are small and inexpensive.

hannahcamille
    hannahcamille
    Participant

Is that area comparable to Olde Towne East, or safer? I did hear about the murder of the woman and her children, but I suppose since it was her boyfriend I wasn’t AS paranoid about it as I would’ve been if it was a random person. My friend and I are both pretty private people, keep to ourselves.

I suppose everyone has their limits and definitions of “shady.” I can put up with “rough” characters around my neighborhood, as long as myself and my roommate or not under any sort of threat. And looking at the crime reports for that area, in the past year there have been no murders/rapes/shootings etc., that I could see. I don’t keep anything valuable in my car, the unit we’re in has a secure front entrance, I always lock my doors, etc.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Broadmeadows is “sketchy” relative to the neighborhoods surrounding it, but it’s not terrible by any means. I would rather live there than an apartment across I-71 off of Morse or 161, for instance.

OTE varies to different extremes on a block-by-block basis, so it’s hard to make a direct comparison. There are certainly better places you could live within OTE, but also many that would be much worse.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

You could do better than Broadmeadows but you could also do far worse.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Broadmeadows western edge has a bridge connecting it to the bikeway, which I mapped to be a good way for me to ride to Natalie’s Coal Fired Pizza. I was surprised by the sketchy activities considering the part of town. It appears that it’s one of the more affordable options in the area, but it’s also got some Section 8 housing.
    http://www.city-data.com/forum/columbus/2137509-duplexes-around-broadmeadows-blvd-safe.html

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Yep by chance that bridge is there – easy ride up to the Hills market north of 270. You could make the whole ride without traffic; the bike path ends at the back of that shopping center. (for now)

Brian J. Robinson
    Brian J. Robinson
    Participant

I lived off Broadmeadows about 2 years ago, so things may have changed since that time. However, while living there (Broadmeadows Plaza to be specific) I had my car windows broken two times. Other residents had theirs broken as well. CFD/CPD would make runs up and down the street in the wee hours of the morning at least 3 to 4 times a week for whatever reason. At that time there were a lot of mischievous kids living in the area that would be a bit of a nuance. This was a couple of years ago so things may have changed, but I wouldn’t move back there personally.

AmyJ
    Participant

I live a couple blocks south of Broadmeadows on the opposite side of High and I do hear the police helicopter and sirens in that area fairly often. I don’t think it’s really dangerous, but I don’t know if I’d want to live there myself. In the grand scheme of things, you could do much, much worse though.

Have you looked into the Georgetown Apartments just a little farther south?

ricospaz
    Participant

The places are crummy and there’s a criminal element that lives there. Too bad because the area around there is good. There’s some townhomes on Fairway Court that are nice for the price and safe. Also very close to Graceland, easy to shop and a couple entertainment options there as well.

I don’t know the name of the places on Fairway but I lived there and they were fine.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION