Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bring Google Fiber to Central Ohio

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Bring Google Fiber to Central Ohio

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author

geoyui
    Participant

FIOS is officially dead for the time being.

apparently this is a real screenshot:

Eugene_C
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mbeaumont wrote:</div>
    Not to derail, but it’s so frustrating that I can’t get decent broadband in this city. I’ve tried both TW and AT&T and both are terrible. Dropouts, inconsistent speeds, terrible customer service, etc. I would be willing to pay up to $60-70 a month for good, really fast, reliable broadband and I simply cannot purchase it here. So frustrating.

Have you heard of this?

http://www.themetropreneur.com/columbus/capaciti-introduces-high-speed-business-broadband-to-columbus/

Targeted toward businesses, but perhaps a home business qualifies? Not sure about their access range outside of Downtown.

I tested it out for a week with a free access pass they provided and it’s crazy, crazy fast. We would have switched on the spot if we didn’t have a contract with Time Warner left to run out. :(

This is the kind of thing I’m interested in, right now. I’d like to investigate getting commercial-grade internet installed at home. I’ve heard you can get 100 mbps for less than $200/mo now, although you may have to pay to run a cable from the nearest trunk, which I am willing to consider, up to a point. Does anyone know anything about how to go about this? Are there companies besides AT&T or TW who can do it?

mbeaumont
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mbeaumont wrote:</div>
    Not to derail, but it’s so frustrating that I can’t get decent broadband in this city. I’ve tried both TW and AT&T and both are terrible. Dropouts, inconsistent speeds, terrible customer service, etc. I would be willing to pay up to $60-70 a month for good, really fast, reliable broadband and I simply cannot purchase it here. So frustrating.

Have you heard of this?

http://www.themetropreneur.com/columbus/capaciti-introduces-high-speed-business-broadband-to-columbus/

Those speeds are insane! Wow! I sent them a message to see if there’s anyway I can get it in a residence in IV. I’ll let you know what they say. Thanks!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

This is the kind of thing I’m interested in, right now. I’d like to investigate getting commercial-grade internet installed at home. I’ve heard you can get 100 mbps for less than $200/mo now, although you may have to pay to run a cable from the nearest trunk, which I am willing to consider, up to a point. Does anyone know anything about how to go about this? Are there companies besides AT&T or TW who can do it?

If you watch their video, it looks like they use wireless transmitters rather than running cables:

Those speeds are insane! Wow! I sent them a message to see if there’s anyway I can get it in a residence in IV. I’ll let you know what they say. Thanks!

Or, what it would take to qualify as a business? ;) If registering as a sole proprietorship or LLC is all it takes, it might be worth it.

Eugene_C
    Participant

If you watch their video, it looks like they use wireless transmitters rather than running cables:

I’d definitely get this if I were downtown but I’m probably too far from downtown to get this in the near future, So I’m looking at synchronous high speed service by wire, ATM. I’d like it if there was some alternative to the same people who deliver cable TV.

zp945
    Participant

I want this! Please expand around the city.

ntn
    ntn
    Participant

I don’t think IV commission would be pleased at us for putting those towers on our houses….Though, pass any info along!

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walker Evans wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mbeaumont wrote:</div><br>

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Agree. I’d pay even more than that for fiber speeds, right now, like maybe even $120/mo. But the choice is just not there even if I’m willing to pay.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I don’t think IV commission would be pleased at us for putting those towers on our houses…

Put them on top of the tall IV buildings! Like the Joseph, Hubbard, Parkside on Pearl, etc. ;)

geoyui
    Participant

Competition is good.

AT&T trumps Google with first gigabit internet in Raleigh

It’s official: Raleigh is getting fiber internet – with or without Google Fiber.

The City has ratified an agreement with AT&T to bring in its ultra-fast “GigaPower” service – an extension of AT&T U-Verse. The service operates over a fiber network and has speeds that can reach 1 gigabit per second.

As it comes out of the university-driven effort, AT&T’s plan includes an altruistic component, with public WiFi and a commitment to serve low-income areas.

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

Competition is good.

AT&T trumps Google with first gigabit internet in Raleigh

It’s official: Raleigh is getting fiber internet – with or without Google Fiber.

The City has ratified an agreement with AT&T to bring in its ultra-fast “GigaPower” service – an extension of AT&T U-Verse. The service operates over a fiber network and has speeds that can reach 1 gigabit per second.

As it comes out of the university-driven effort, AT&T’s plan includes an altruistic component, with public WiFi and a commitment to serve low-income areas.

Still none here though, but this is a good sign. My AT&T is still performing below advertised rates. I’m supposed to be getting “up to 18 Mbps” but I have been getting around 12. Maybe I have to pay for the 24 in order to get 18?

Mister MooCow
    Participant

Follow-up on Capaciti: this page indicates that their coverage area for CMH is indeed just downtown:

Capciti coverage in CMH

Graybeak
    Participant

I am wondering if this capaciti network also has something to do with the small diamonds found atop many of the traffic light poles in the downtown area…

enigmaco
    Participant

I have a feeling something may be going on around here, I believe i have some solid proof that google fiber may be coming here. I was checking my home wifi with a wifi analyzer when I found two ssids that linked back to google here’s screenshots you tell me what you think it could be.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

drew
    Participant

I don’t understand why a city that is as eager to attract and retain businesses and creatives as we are isn’t more proactive in ensuring that the citizenry has the bandwidth it craves.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: