Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bring Google Fiber to Central Ohio

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Bring Google Fiber to Central Ohio

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    ntn
    ntn
    Participant

If I moved to another city, the availability of Google fiber would absolutely play a small factor. I never thought I would get so worked up over an ISP

UrbanPlanner2112
    Participant

gramarye said:
    I think Moo was referring to the kind of thing from the link that geoyui posted–the steps that the city government (and possibly other actors, with respect to things like mapping) could put in place to make the city a more attractive candidate. That’s part and parcel of making such a pitch to Google.

Which is what the money pays for, it pays for putting the information together that they need. Money talks. If we sent Google a fat check that they could bill staff time to research the Columbus market, who wants to bet they’d use it?

UrbanPlanner2112
    Participant

geoyui said:
    Having google fiber does not influence whether people travel to a specific city. I agree though that it would be nice if the city pursued getting google fiber.

Fast cheap internet does greatly increases the economics of business start-ups and the like, which does influence travel.

UrbanPlanner2112
    Participant

zachgs said:
    I’ve been day dreaming about those kinda speeds ever since they were announced. Hopefully Google’s launch will go well and they’ll expand!

In the short term, is FIOS available anywhere in town? I’ve checked for downtown and parts of Grandview with no luck.

I know a lot of Columbus can get the ATT U-Verse quasi-fiber, is it any good though? The speeds look slower than cable. :(

What are Internet junkies supposed to do?

We have the ATT service. With a 2-year contract they will rewire your house with cat-5 and you can get up to 24 Mbps. We pay for 18 but usually seem to get about 12-16 most of the time. It’s fairly expensive compared to Google Fiber or municipal systems like Utopia, though, and it’s even more expensive if you don’t bundle it with cable TV.

geoyui
    Participant

ntn said:
    If I moved to another city, the availability of Google fiber would absolutely play a small factor. I never thought I would get so worked up over an ISP

I wasn’t referring to actually moving to a city, more of travelling for leisure and business.

UrbanPlanner2112 said:
    Fast cheap internet does greatly increases the economics of business start-ups and the like, which does influence travel.

I mispoke … people involved with startups in Columbus does influence travel in a small way, certainly not enough though to justify daily nonstop service. People who travel for leisure and business (with established clients/companies) make up a majority of the daily travellers. Google fiber and the travel habits of startups will not sway airlines to send more planes to Columbus (there are so many more important factors involved).

Geno99
    Participant

Maybe bigger than startups, might it also not help keep “young professionals” from leaving the area? Isn’t that something they’re always talking about?

geoyui
    Participant

Geno99 said:
    Maybe bigger than startups, might it also not help keep “young professionals” from leaving the area? Isn’t that something they’re always talking about?

I think we are talking about 2 different travellers: those who are leaving Columbus and not returning, and those who travel and live/work here. The second group surely makes up the majority of daily passengers.

For me, if I move, it’s because of job and family, not if the destination has google fiber. If I fly, it’s for job, fun and family. How many of us want to move, fly to Provo, UT because of google fiber? (no offense to Provo supporters ;)

gramarye
    Participant

UrbanPlanner2112 said:
    Which is what the money pays for, it pays for putting the information together that they need. Money talks. If we sent Google a fat check that they could bill staff time to research the Columbus market, who wants to bet they’d use it?

Only the second of those three items on the wish list could be provided by funding a study. The rest would take actual legislative or regulatory action. You can’t study your way into giving new ISPs access to utility poles, ducts, and other existing infrastructure. You can’t study your way into expediting the permitting process.

Mister MooCow
    Participant

geoyui said: Google fiber and the travel habits of startups will not sway airlines to send more planes to Columbus (there are so many more important factors involved).

You’re right. And the lack of a slew of non-stop flights into Columbus isn’t why people are staying away in droves. And having a bunch of non-stop flights doesn’t mean people will actually want to come into your city to spend/do-business (see Newark/EWR as prime example).

But Google Fiber will make the environment more desirable for people to move/stay here and for businesses to keep/locate their employees here. And those people/employees will want to go places. And if there is enough travel to a specific destination, airlines will schedule direct flights.

geoyui said:
    People who travel for leisure and business (with established clients/companies) make up a majority of the daily travellers.

Right again — so how does that enter into the discussion of whether or not to go out and [try somehow — by giving subsidies? — to] get more direct flights? If those people are coming, they’re coming because there is something here worth coming for (customers, entertainment, recreational opportunities, a great haircut at Longview Barbershop, or whatever). I hardly think the speed bump of having to change planes in ORD is what’s keeping all those Bay Area folks from deciding to vacation in Columbus.

geoyui
    Participant

Mister MooCow said:

You’re right. And the lack of a slew of non-stop flights into Columbus isn’t why people are staying away in droves. And having a bunch of non-stop flights doesn’t mean people will actually want to come into your city to spend/do-business (see Newark/EWR as prime example).

But Google Fiber will make the environment more desirable for people to move/stay here and for businesses to keep/locate their employees here. And those people/employees will want to go places. And if there is enough travel to a specific destination, airlines will schedule direct flights.

I agree that having google fiber would be a great thing, but what are you basing the “stay factor” of google fiber on? It’s only in KC, Austin and Provo. How eager are you to go Provo? Austin already has a draw factor. I’m not sure how Kansas City is doing.

And I could run the same domino effect with rail. “But rail from the airport to downtown will make the environment more desirable for people to move/stay here and for businesses to keep/locate their employees here. And those people/employees will want to go places. And if there is enough travel to a specific destination, airlines will schedule direct flights.”

Right again — so how does that enter into the discussion of whether or not to go out and [try somehow — by giving subsidies? — to] get more direct flights? If those people are coming, they’re coming because there is something here worth coming for (customers, entertainment, recreational opportunities, a great haircut at [url=http://longviewbarbershop.com]Longview Barbershop[/url], or whatever). I hardly think the speed bump of having to change planes in ORD is what’s keeping all those Bay Area folks from deciding to vacation in Columbus.

I think you missed the discussion I had with other commenters saying startup companies will not have much of an influence on airline carriers in bringing nonstop service to columbus.

And if you want to help people get to “entertainment, recreational opportunities, a great haircut at Longview Barbershop, or whatever”, a rail line from Columbus to downtown or even Easton is a start. How does google fiber fit into that?

I’m not sure if you’re arguing to get google fiber, or if you just want to argue about why CMH doesn’t have more nonstop service.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

I’d like to get in on this. What can we, as citizens, do? Maybe the crowd funding should be used to form one of those 501 C social welfare group that say, buys ads from Google urging Columbus residents to write officials and ask that they pursue Google’s terms?

I guess the bottom line is, what can we do?

Mister MooCow
    Participant

geoyui
    I’m not sure if you’re arguing to get google fiber, or if you just want to argue about why CMH doesn’t have more nonstop service.

My original post said

Instead of screwing around trying to get more direct flights to Columbus in some Rube Goldberg scheme to create jobs, why doesn’t Coleman spend that time/money making Columbus the kind of place that actually merits direct flights — by getting Google Fiber in here?

And now we’ve come full circle.

Mister MooCow
    Participant

Ned23 said:

I guess the bottom line is, what can we do?

Item #1 and item #2 from the previously mentioned article[/url] are done and done (from what I understand, anyone can purchase ROW on the OBT and AEP poles around town; and OUPS (Central Locating Service) has prints that show all the utilities around town). Item #3 seems more of a “the city’s government needs to make getting google fiber a priority” (e.g., stop wasting time/money on getting direct flights and invest that effort into wooing google).

What can you do? Call or email Troy Miller — he’s chair of the City Council’s Technology Committee. Tell him you want Google Fiber in Columbus.

DBC

Dunno about you guys, but I am thinking of moving to Nashville, just for the Google Fiber. The fact that the fastest we get here is 50mbit is terrible. Hopefully once Comcast takes over TWC we can at least get 100mbit. Pathetic what we are offered here.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m a pretty heavy internet user and rarely do I need to stream/download so much stuff that a jump from 50mbit to 100mbit would make any practical difference.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION