Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bring Google Fiber to Central Ohio

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Bring Google Fiber to Central Ohio

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author

geoyui
    Participant

Who wants it here in cbus? If we rally enough people to pre-register (link at the top right), then google may bring it here. I realize it’s a long shot, but it can’t hurt.

GOOGLE FIBER RESIDENTIAL

JonMyers
    Participant

I don’t think it’s a long shot for Columbus.

Kansasa City is getting it:

Why Is Kansas City Getting Google Fiber?

geoyui
    Participant

I think Kansas city was selected via an application process, not necessarily by the general population participating in an online vote/registration.

Kansas city/google fiber wiki

In either case, I hope you’re right.

Graybeak
    Participant

geoyui said:
    Who wants it here in cbus? If we rally enough people to pre-register (link at the top right), then google may bring it here. I realize it’s a long shot, but it can’t hurt.

GOOGLE FIBER RESIDENTIAL[/url]

This pre-registration process is for people in Kansas City.

geoyui
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    This pre-registration process is for people in Kansas City.

Ah, then nevermind. Looks like we have 0 chance.

zachgs
    Participant

I’ve been day dreaming about those kinda speeds ever since they were announced. Hopefully Google’s launch will go well and they’ll expand!

In the short term, is FIOS available anywhere in town? I’ve checked for downtown and parts of Grandview with no luck.

I know a lot of Columbus can get the ATT U-Verse quasi-fiber, is it any good though? The speeds look slower than cable. :(

What are Internet junkies supposed to do?

JonMyers
    Participant

zachgs said:

What are Internet junkies supposed to do?

Move to the 3rd world. :D

Below are my speeds in Vietnam. The image on the left is my iPhone on a 3G network (I pay about $5usd/ week for service), and the image on the right is the internet speed at a Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf.

This is normal. The speed at my apartment is even faster, and I think it’s about $25-30usd/ month.

I easily stream Netflix, conduct phone calls over G-Talk, Skype and perform every other bandwidth intensive task.

It’s hard to understand why the US is not moving faster to get up to speed. Then again, we’re shackled by big telecoms.

This issue – price/ performance/ bandwidth is a huge competitive issue.

bman
    Participant

FiOS is not available anywhere in Ohio. Nearest FiOS would probably be Fort Wayne Indiana????

I worked on the FiOS rollout for Verizon. I was the 4th. person in Fort Wayne to have the service. It smoked this u-verse stuff I have now.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

geoyui
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:
    34 new cities announced. None in Ohio :(

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/19/5426338/google-will-explore-bringing-fiber-34-additional-cities

ugh, that’s disappointing, especially with the TWC/Comcast merger.

Got Google Fiber envy? Here are three steps to pave the way[/url]

• First, grant new Internet providers access to power poles, ducts, and cable conduits. Once Google has figured out what it needs to use, “We agree to a fair-market price so we can get up to that space,” Lo said.

• Second, provide good maps — not just to locate power poles and conduit channels, but also water mains and gas lines that complicate installations. “We’ve been surprised how big a problem this is for a lot of our cities,” Lo said.

• Last, expedite construction permits. “When we build, we are submitting literally tens of thousands of permits. We work closely with the city to expedite that process. These are the things that have been consuming our teams’ time,” Lo said.

Mister MooCow
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:
    34 new cities announced. None in Ohio :(

Instead of screwing around trying to get more direct flights to Columbus in some Rube Goldberg scheme to create jobs, why doesn’t Coleman spend that time/money making Columbus the kind of place that actually merits direct flights — by getting Google Fiber in here?

Build it and they will come…

Grazing in a field of dreams, waiting for third-world connectivity until the cows come home…

UrbanPlanner2112
    Participant

Mister MooCow said:
    Instead of screwing around trying to get more direct flights to Columbus in some Rube Goldberg scheme to create jobs, why doesn’t Coleman spend that time/money making Columbus the kind of place that actually merits direct flights — by getting Google Fiber in here?

Build it and they will come…

Grazing in a field of dreams, waiting for third-world connectivity until the cows come home…

We would first have to convince Google to bring it here. Maybe if someone crowd-funded a study and got some money behind it? With the Time Warner / Comcast merger things are already starting to go downhill in the internet market here.

gramarye
    Participant

I think Moo was referring to the kind of thing from the link that geoyui posted–the steps that the city government (and possibly other actors, with respect to things like mapping) could put in place to make the city a more attractive candidate. That’s part and parcel of making such a pitch to Google.

Honestly, I’d be interested in seeing what the cost of a completely municipally-owned fiber buildout would be, similar to UTOPIA in Utah.

geoyui
    Participant

Mister MooCow said:

Having google fiber does not influence whether people travel to a specific city. I agree though that it would be nice if the city pursued getting google fiber.

Geno99
    Participant

gramarye said:

Honestly, I’d be interested in seeing what the cost of a completely municipally-owned fiber buildout would be, similar to UTOPIA in Utah.

THIS is the only way we’re every going to get 21st century internet here. Look for republicans in the legislature to outlaw it before it can happen.

Does Columbus or Franklin County have any provision for getting a referendum on the ballot for a bond issue for this kind of thing? If so, I’d like to know what the process is.

UrbanPlanner2112 said:
    We would first have to convince Google to bring it here. Maybe if someone crowd-funded a study and got some money behind it? With the Time Warner / Comcast merger things are already starting to go downhill in the internet market here.

What a lot of people don’t know is that Comcast has data caps on their ISP service. Once you hit like 60GB in a billing period they throttle your speed to a fraction of the maximum. This is to discourage people from cutting their cable and watching internet TV.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION