Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Brezel

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

tdziemia
    Participant

If you are out looking for a pretzel in Philly at 8:30 on a Saturday morning you are generally out of luck downtown because the bakeries don;t deliver that early to the vendors. For four years I could look out my office window at the cart below, see when the pretzel delivery came (typically 10 on weekdays), then walk outside and get a couple. It did something to my sensory neurons, and I apologize for inflicting that on Columbus.
    Yes, by 12 or 1, the salt on the surface has absorbed some moisture and turned that wonderful crackly surface into a sort of slimy mess, and the bread has stiffened up. Only un-knowing tourists will buy after lunch or (god forbid) AT THE BALLPARK.
    Nowadays in outlying districts and the suburbs, there is a franchise called Philly Soft Pretzel Factory that makes ’em fresh starting around 6:30 every morning. People stop in and grab some for the coffee pot at work (healthier than donuts, and other pretzel confections), or late afternoon for a snack at their kids’ sports practices. SO next time you are in the area, ask where there is a Philly Soft Pretzel factory (but not downtown), and you can get a fresh one any time of day. You won’t be disappointed.

Oh, geez, and then you had to go tell me about another patisserie. Yes, Vera is about as vrai an imitation of a good French patisserie as you can find anywhere. A true gem. And in my ‘hood. I am blessed.

Yeti22
    Participant

Unlike Philly, at Brezel by 12 or 1 fresh pretzels are still coming out of the oven.

Philly sounds like Bavaria. If you want good pretzels there you have to get them before lunch.

brezel

Thank you for sharing the new hours and some of our new flavors. While the Original flavor is very popular, we have discovered our regular customers always want to try something new, so we are always working on new flavors and concepts.

hungrywoolf
    Participant

tdziemia said:
    I am an absolute sucker for a good simple pretzel out of the oven, so indeed I will try when I get the chance. However, I am strongly biased against concoctions like Annie’s makes that add lots of fats, sugar, etc to the recipe making it another 500 calorie snack that is the last things we obese Americans need.
    I’ve actually wondered if COlumbus could be ripe for a Philly Soft Pretzel franchise … seriously.

Brezel do a couple of different sizes so if you are looking for a small snack you can just get one of the twists rather than a whole pretzel. The full size ones are huge.

columbusfoodie
    Participant

tdziemia said:
    If you are out looking for a pretzel in Philly at 8:30 on a Saturday morning you are generally out of luck downtown because the bakeries don;t deliver that early to the vendors. For four years I could look out my office window at the cart below, see when the pretzel delivery came (typically 10 on weekdays), then walk outside and get a couple. It did something to my sensory neurons, and I apologize for inflicting that on Columbus.
    Yes, by 12 or 1, the salt on the surface has absorbed some moisture and turned that wonderful crackly surface into a sort of slimy mess, and the bread has stiffened up. Only un-knowing tourists will buy after lunch or (god forbid) AT THE BALLPARK.
    Nowadays in outlying districts and the suburbs, there is a franchise called Philly Soft Pretzel Factory that makes ’em fresh starting around 6:30 every morning. People stop in and grab some for the coffee pot at work (healthier than donuts, and other pretzel confections), or late afternoon for a snack at their kids’ sports practices. SO next time you are in the area, ask where there is a Philly Soft Pretzel factory (but not downtown), and you can get a fresh one any time of day. You won’t be disappointed.

Oh, geez, and then you had to go tell me about another patisserie. Yes, Vera is about as vrai an imitation of a good French patisserie as you can find anywhere. A true gem. And in my ‘hood. I am blessed.

Philly Soft Pretzel Company was awesome when I went there a couple years ago (they built one in my hometown area in South Jersey, but sometime between then and my last visit (back in March) they went to hell in a handbasket. They even look different, i.e then (http://www.flickr.com/photos/columbusfoodie/5258695732/) and now (http://www.flickr.com/photos/columbusfoodie/6844503032/) – they were a thing of wonder in 2010 – would even survive the 10 hour drive from NJ to Columbus and were still pleasingly chewy and wonderful. The recent ones I got were fresh out of the oven (since the ones they had originally given me were beyond stale), and they still didn’t survive the 5 minute drive to my dad’s house without getting hard and kind of yucky.

columbusfoodie
    Participant

hungrywoolf said:
    Brezel do a couple of different sizes so if you are looking for a small snack you can just get one of the twists rather than a whole pretzel. The full size ones are huge.

And the sticks are a good value at $1 each – P. and I usually get a half dozen of assorted flavors to share on Saturday mornings while we hit the North Market Farmers Market…

News
    Participant

Brezel Expands at North Market, Adds Frozen Retail Lineup of Products
    Published on February 6, 2013 8:00 am
    By: Walker

Brezel is celebrating two years in business at The North Market by growing and expanding both in terms of physical space and business model. The hand-rolled Bavarian-style pretzel shop recently scooted one spot over, taking the slightly larger stall vacated by Clever Crow in December.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/brezel-expands-at-north-market-adds-frozen-retail-lineup-of-products

News
    Participant

Brēzel Expanding to Cincinnati
    July 11, 2014 2:58 pm – Anne Evans

Local pretzel favorite Brēzel will be expanding to Cincinnati with a new store in the Over-the-Rhine neighborhood. The shop is the second location for Brēzel, and the first stand alone store.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/brezel-expanding-to-otr-cincinnati

News
    Participant

Bavarian pretzel shop moves into Downtown Grand Rapids
    April 30, 2015| By Charlsie Dewey

A Bavarian pretzel shop is expanding outside of Ohio to join the downtown community this summer. The Downtown Market in Grand Rapids said yesterday that Brezel, a gourmet pretzel shop, will be its newest vendor in the indoor Market Hall. Brezel expects to be up and running by early June.

READ MORE: http://www.grbj.com/articles/82270-bavarian-pretzel-shop-moves-into-downtown

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: