Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

BrewDog US Expansion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion BrewDog US Expansion

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 263 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Our good friends at Scotland’s BrewDog are potentially looking for a U.S. spot to locate a production facility, tasting room…and perhaps even a restaurant. I told them that I’d be more than happy to make an introduction to the good folks at the other two “Top 3” locations we considered (ultimately we chose Richmond, Virginia, as you all know). Of course, we’ll make direct introductions between James Watt at BrewDog and the governmental officials of your two fine cities, and let you take any possible discussions from there. We really value the relationships we have built, and are more than happy to help connect some dots with our friends at BrewDog.

News
    Participant

Stone Brewing Recommends Columbus for BrewDog Expansion
    January 23, 2015 2:29 pm – Walker Evans

One of the bigger disappointments of 2014 was the news that the Stone Brewing Company would not be expanding to Columbus after much consideration and deliberation, and that they would not be anchoring the super cool Urban Food-and-Beverage Production Campus at the former Timken site. But all is not lost. The hard work put together by local development officials may be repurposed and repackaged for Scotland-based BrewDog.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/stone-brewing-recommends-columbus-for-brewdog-expansion

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

so what’s the catchy #hashtag going to be?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

#BrewDog2CBUS?

geoyui
    Participant

#BD2CB

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

#ColumDawg2CBrews

RBloodworth
    Participant

As cool as would have been to land Stone, this would be even better. Maybe it’s just my affinity for all things Scottish talking (although BrewDog hardly makes what would be considered a traditional Scottish ale; their beers are much more in line with what is produced by American craft breweries), but I really dig that company’s entire iconoclastic image and quality product. Glad to see Stone give us a recommendation, although given BrewDog’s decided preference for beer varieties invented and perfected on the West Coast, I have a feeling that they’re probably going to choose some place like Portland (or, perhaps more appropriately given their place of origin, Aberdeen, WA). Hope that this comes to be, although I’m not holding my breath.

MFRONE
    Participant

James Watt, co-owner of Brew Dogs, just sent out a Tweet asking if Columbus, Ohio needed a Brew Dogs brewpub

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

James Watt, co-owner of Brew Dogs, just sent out a Tweet asking if Columbus, Ohio needed a Brew Dogs brewpub

poiuytr
    Participant

Would be first in the U.S.

poiuytr
    Participant

DouginCMH
    Participant

Here ya’ go:

https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/the-latest-from-planet-brewdog

“We are also delighted to announce that we are in advance discussions for a site in Columbus, Ohio that would house our USA production brewery. We will hopefully be able to provide you all with more of an update on this as soon as we can. In the meantime, we will continue to work hard to make this plan a reality!”

This would be very, very cool, indeed.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Outstanding…

Any guesses what part of the city they’re targeting, DouginCMH?

Matt Boyd
    Participant

Great news. That would be an awesome addition to the growing Cbus craft beer scene. This season of the Brew Dogs TV series has highlighted some of their brewpubs around Europe and they look nice.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Outstanding…

Any guesses what part of the city they’re targeting, DouginCMH?

Not a clue. I also have no idea just what BrewDog is envisioning with this project. They have a network of facilities in the UK, but have a pretty aggressive expansion plan, with international expansion in addition to the US facility. For the US project, is it a version of what they’ve already done in the UK, or something larger?

In this article:
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/business/company-news/brewdog-bids-to-be-small-business-trailblazer.123915210

One of the founders is referenced in a discussin about the US site:

“Also on the agenda is the development of a brewery in the US, with Mr Watt revealing that he hopes to agree terms on a site in Columbus, Ohio, as early as next week. The city has been chosen because nearly half the population of the US is based within 500 miles of Columbus. Mr Watt noted that cities such as New York, Chicago and Boston were within easy reach.”

If Columbus is being chosen, ion part, because of its proximity to other major markets, perhaps that implies a larger facility?

Or perhaps not.

Regardless, if this does go through, it sounds like it’ll be great, and certainly a unique draw for US beer geeks. I love the videos on the BrewDogs website, by the way.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 263 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE