Our City Online

Messageboard - TV

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Breaking Bad on AMC

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion TV Breaking Bad on AMC

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 525 total)
  • Author

lucero

What a perfect outro song…epic end to one of the greatest shows of all time. Maybe the greatest.

Roland
    Participant

Also, just want to mention Jesse’s daydream scene with the box he had made was a really nice touch.

So much to like about this show :)

chaptal
    Participant

The final scene with Skyler and Walt was beautifully acted and directed. A very satisfying and honest finale. A big smile came across my face at the opening chords of Baby Blue.

RedStorm
    Participant

No real twists or surprises in the end, a pretty much “expected” finale on all the major points. You could say Gilligan “played it safe” but I really enjoyed the closure of it all.

SSBucks
    Participant

I honestly thought and hoped it would end with Walt walking into the lab and doing one last cook and sample his own masterpiece as he lay dying.

Guess there wasn’t enough time for that but it would’ve been cool. All in all an awesome series finale (especially compared to the train wreck of Dexter’s finale).

goldenidea
    Participant

Really loved the “Baby Blue” and camera play at the end; they struck a perfect chord.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Anne & I just watched it tonight, and really enjoyed it a lot. A fitting end to the greatest TV show of all time.

Walt finally came clean with himself and others and acknowledged that he was the selfish supervillain that he never wanted to admit to. Which somehow managed to feel redeeming despite everything he’s said and done.

And in the end… Walt got everything he wanted on his own terms. He got to say see his family one last time. He got to get his money delivered to his family (I totally called it on the laser pointers, though wouldn’t have guessed it was B&SP, yo). He got to take out all of the nazis with his contraption (was that a garage door opener?). He got to put a bullet in Jack’s head. He got to not only poison Lydia, but also let her know it. He got to provide (eventually) a proper burial for Hank and a proper (eventually) exit for Skylar. He even got to quietly watch Jesse choke out Todd on the floor for a slice of his own revenge.

But the biggest unknown was with Jesse. Did Walt really think he was with partners with Jack (or at least willingly working for Jack) and was planning on taking him out as well? Or could he have somehow guessed that Jesse was held hostage and that he’d be freeing him?

And in the end, Walt dies on the floor of the meth lab (by his own devices) with a gas mask next to him. To the police, it likely looks like Walt had been cooking there for months and someone else had come into the compound and killed everyone off, including Walt. Which means that he was able to retain the “blue meth” legacy. He didn’t care about the rest of the money, and probably imagines that it will wind up in the hands of the DEA with a little snooping into Jack’s little simpleton operation.

Two quick random thoughts about small observations that probably meant something more important:

• It looked as if Walt’s outfit had come full circle. The green shirt and beige pants/jacket combo seemed very reminiscent of Season 1.

• The dude who died in the recliner and was seen still moving up and down with the little auto recline feature (hydraulics!) seemed like a call back to Tuco’s bouncing car (hydraulics!) after he had died. Come to think of it, the garage door opener machine gun was also operated by hydraulics too. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Wow… Maureen Ryan did not enjoy the ending:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maureen-ryan/breaking-bad-ending_b_4022685.html

While I agree with her that it was a bit of a departure from the show’s usual message that actions have consequences, I don’t think it was a redemption arc for Walt at all. He acknowledged that he reveled in the evilness of his deeds and his ability to get away with whatever he wants.

And he went on to conclude the series by getting exactly what he wanted. The *bad guy* won. We’re not really supposed to feel 100% great about that.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Heh. ;)

RedStorm
    Participant

First off, I don’t think she understands what “Breaking Bad” means, given her writing in that 2010 article.

Secondly, it’s NOT supposed to be 100% realistic. She seems to be struggling with small details in plot (How did he find a car with the keys in it?). It’s never been a totally realistic story. You have do have to stretch your imagination a bit (disposing of bodies in acid, building a huge meth lab, etc.). Quite a bit of her complaints about the last episode seem to stem from these unrealistic events in the plot. She doesn’t quite seem to grasp the show, in my opinion.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Heh. I find it less realistic that Walter White whispered something of a little prayer than the notion that a set of car keys couldn’t be found in a vehicle in a small remote town in the middle of nowhere. Plenty of people don’t even lock the doors on their homes in the middle of nowhere. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Time to watch it all over again… en español!

SusanB
    Participant

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

New Yorker Breaking Bad Finale Review

This is an interesting take on the finale. I’ve also heard that the theory that Granite State or Ozymandias is the “true” finale and the last couple of episodes are just the dreams and plans of a man dying of cancer, and not at all a reality. That explains a lot.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

^ Nice. I’ve read a few other people pointing to theories that he actually died in the frozen car. Which actually does make a lot of sense to help explain how neat and tidy everything ended up. Walt’s plans have never ever gone off without a hitch until now.

Another theory I’ve read is that when Walt muttered in the car “Just get me home, I’ll do the rest.” it wasn’t actually a prayer, but a deal with the devil to allow him to accomplish his unfinished business. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 525 total)

The forum ‘TV’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE