Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Brassica - New Concept Going in Old Betty's Location

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Brassica – New Concept Going in Old Betty's Location

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

New Northstar Cafe Concept Brassica to Occupy Old Betty’s Space
    June 18, 2015 2:32 pm – Rebecca Wagner

Brassica, a new concept from the Northstar Cafe team, will be opening in the Short North later this summer. The restaurant will occupy 680 N. High Street, the former Betty’s Fine Food and Spirits location.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/new-northstar-cafe-concept-brassica-to-occupy-old-bettys-space-rw1

Nancy H
    Participant

It looks like Brassica will finally open in a couple of weeks. Discussion this morning with a staffer said they just got their various permits and approvals and were starting to cook and fine tune menu items. Then a couple weeks of staff training and non-public seatings to work out the kinks.

Really looking forward to another lunch option in the area. Got my fingers crossed that they understand and pay attention to take-out. Many (most?) of the food establishments in the SN are absolutely terrible when it comes to take away orders. But, then complain that their lunch business is sporadic. Very few understand that their neighbors (retailers and office people) long ago got fed up with food not being ready on time and lost orders, so they NEVER order lunch from there.

mbeaumont
    Participant

Well considering Northstar is pretty much takeout perfection, I have no doubt brassica will be on top of it as well.

Nancy H
    Participant

Northstar is a bit too far from my shop to use them for takeout on a regular basis. During the week I am at the shop alone, so I have to close for ten minutes or so to go grab a phoned in lunch.

On the south end of the strip, the Short North Tavern holds the title of takeout perfection. If you order takeout, and then get busy and don’t pick it up promptly – bartender Chris delivers it.

Nancy H
    Participant

Brassica has soft opened to the general public. Open Noon to 5PM yesterday and today. Just had a lunch there. Not sure when they will go to full regular hours.

mbeaumont
    Participant

How was your lunch, Nancy? Can you tell us about some of the food?

heresthecasey
    Participant

What they’ve posted on instagram so far looks good. I’m excited to try it out.

https://instagram.com/brassicashortnorth/

[email protected]
    Participant

I had chance to eat there recently. Here’s a quick preview of the menu. Happy to report it is totally different from Northstar.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Nancy H
    Participant

How was your lunch, Nancy? Can you tell us about some of the food?

I just barely glanced at the menu, having closed my shop for a few minutes so I could grab a quick lunch. Their sandwiches are Pita pockets. You select your own ingredients – best way to describe it is Chipotle-style assembly line.

My pita contained the following: hummus (very smooth and garlicky), chopped greens in a light but creamy dressing with a dominate lemon flavor (no iceberg here – hearty greens like Kale) chunks of marinaded and grilled chicken (mild Middle Eastern flavors), grilled Eggplant (again a Middle Eastern flavor but with a bit of spicy heat), and topped with fried onion bits (a house made version of the well known French’s canned variety that tops any number of your grandmother’s casseroles).

The portions were generous without being excessive. Cost was $7.50

I found it strange that they had no tip jar. When I asked where the tip jar was, I was told “we don’t have one.” Replied “well how to expect people to leave you a tip.” I just handed her a tip and told her to figure out sharing it with the line staff.

Everything was very good but I think they need to have more defining signs on the ingredients or one needs to ask questions. My pita had too many competing flavors. My choices, so my fault. The hummus and the chopped greens in lemon dressing complimented each other quite nicely. The lemon was a bit much with the milder marinade on the chicken. I love Eggplant, but found the spices on it overpowered the other things I selected.

Two regular customers tried the hummus plate (hummus & a Pita) with brisket and chopped greens on the side. Both said the brisket was excellent.

Getting your choices on a plate might be a good way to start, so there is less flavor competition.

They were doing private seating serving most of this past week. Lunches were being served to staffers from their other locations. Plans are to open to the public this week with regular hours.

mbeaumont
    Participant

Thanks to everyone for posting pics and descriptions. Looks promising, and a great change of pace from burgers and beer.

Nancy H
    Participant

Per co-owner Kevin Malhame – Brassica is now officially open for business.

News
    Participant

First Look: Brassica Sandwiches + Salads
    September 10, 2015 4:19 pm – Rebecca Wagner

Brassica, the new Mediterranean-influenced sandwich and salad operation from the creators of Northstar Cafe, has officially opened its doors today.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/brassica-short-north-rw1

DLDude
    Participant

Looks pretty good actually. Surprised prices weren’t over $10, which is getting rarer and rarer in the Short North. I’m glad to have a place to get a quick bite!

One things I always laugh at in Columbus: Fries. I remember going to Knead and saying “Damn, $3 for a side of fries, times a-changing”, then Arch City at $5. I think Pint House has $9 fries! Haha, I guess you can do a lot with a potato?

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I made my way over to Brassica for lunch today to grab a takeout order, and I thought I would chime in.

For a total of $11, I ordered: (1) A hummus plate (which comes with pita bread plucked right out of the oven in front of you), topped with four pieces of perfectly cooked falafel, and (2) A side of cauliflower and jalapenos, which is an interesting and fun twist on the fried cauliflower I’m accustomed to my Lebanese mother making.

There was a line out the door upon my arrival at 12:30, and it moved along quickly. The service was extremely friendly.

The falafel is among the best I’ve had in town: Nice and crispy on the outside “shell” and flavorful with great texture inside.

The hummus is very good, not great.

The pita is the best in town: It manages to be crispy, as well, and moist on the inside. My grandmother, who used to bake pita every darn day, would devour this bread.

The interior of the restaurant is beautifully done; as has been said upthread, it’s hard to imagine Betty’s in this space. It is a tremendous upgrade, and I loved Betty’s.

That this “fast casual” restaurant is now in the Short North is a really great addition to the neighborhood. Well done, Northstar team.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

^^Must have passed you on the way out today. The food I had was great! Had the chicken. I quite like the hummus. All of the toppings were top notch. I for one, however, thought it was priced about a dollar or two too high, but, with the sky high rents in the Short North, I guess they have to make up for it somehow. At $19 and then tip I guess I could have skipped the beer and fries. Agreed on finally have some fast casual in the neighborhood. That was always on the top of my wish list when I lived there a few years ago. Will definitely be back.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE