Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Branding Columbus | News & Discussion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Branding Columbus | News & Discussion

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Do cities like Portland really have a “brand”? Does some image of some specific sector of society spring immediately to mind when you think of Portland? It doesn’t for me and I’ve been there a couple of times. They have a great transit system, the food’s okay, but not really that much better than Columbus. There’s some music there but it’s mostly transplanted musicians. Really, they just did good planning and made it an attractive place to live and they did it at exactly the right time to take advantage of a growing weariness with sprawl. Now places like Dublin are scrambling to catch up 20 years later.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Do cities like Portland really have a “brand”? Does some image of some specific sector of society spring immediately to mind when you think of Portland?

lbl
    Participant

Portland took a bold approach and capped the size of its City limits years ago – putting a stop to annexation so that growth would be “in-fill” rather than continued sprawl. The result is a nice density level and a thriving core that also has some awesome historic architecture.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

Do cities like Portland really have a “brand”? Does some image of some specific sector of society spring immediately to mind when you think of Portland? It doesn’t for me and I’ve been there a couple of times. They have a great transit system, the food’s okay, but not really that much better than Columbus. There’s some music there but it’s mostly transplanted musicians. Really, they just did good planning and made it an attractive place to live and they did it at exactly the right time to take advantage of a growing weariness with sprawl. Now places like Dublin are scrambling to catch up 20 years later.

100%. Portland: “Hipsters, Craft Beer, Environmentalism”

I went there last summer on a road trip with some buddies and it pretty much fit the bill. If you played the “name 3 things about (city)” most people would be able to spout something out about the larger cities in the country. Doesn’t mean they’re correct,but it’s setting your expectations. Some cities are dead on Portland in my case, some are below expectations (LA), and some blow your expectations away (Montreal, seriously go visit, like now).

I tend to think Columbus is a city that exceeds expectations, but probably because there isn’t much people think of.

Columbus: “OSU, state capital, ummm”

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Portland took a bold approach and capped the size of its City limits years ago – putting a stop to annexation so that growth would be “in-fill” rather than continued sprawl. The result is a nice density level and a thriving core that also has some awesome historic architecture.

While everyone certainly benefits from those policies, I don’t know if too many people are aware of them outside of urban planning and urban enthusiast circles. ;)

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE