Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Branding Columbus | News & Discussion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Branding Columbus | News & Discussion

This topic contains 34 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

New branding study to help Columbus define image

By Steve Wartenberg

The Columbus Dispatch • Tuesday February 18, 2014

ExperienceColumbus.jpg

Experience Columbus has hired a research company to determine what people throughout the country think of the city — or whether they think of it at all.

“I’ve seen a lot of these efforts,” and the results have been strikingly similar, said Doug Kridler, president and CEO of the Columbus Foundation.

“Two times (before), they came in and said: ‘We have good news and bad news for you,’” Kridler said. “‘The bad news is, we found Columbus doesn’t have a consistent image, and the good news is, you’re starting with a blank slate.’”

READ MORE HERE.

MikeReed
    Participant

It’s about time we spent some time and money on figuring out our “brand”.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Plenty of previous discussion on past efforts here:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/tags/branding

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

MikeReed said:
    It’s about time we spent some time and money on figuring out our “brand”.

We have spent lots of money figuring out our brand. Fahlgren got a bundle and the story mentions other efforts. Seems our brand is a town without a brand, or a town that loves to pay politically connected consultants.

bob.os
    Participant

“Columbus, the re-branding capital of something something!”

heresthecasey
    Participant

The city relaunched their website (columbus.gov[/url]) today with a new design and the “US” branding.

So far from what I’ve seen, it’s very very buggy and a big step backwards as far as actual functionality/ease of use.

News
    Participant

If Cities Want to Succeed, They Need to Focus on What Makes Them Distinct
    BY AARON M. RENN | SEPTEMBER 2014

Have you ever noticed that while every company tries its hardest to convince you it’s different and better than its competition, every city tries its hardest to convince you it’s exactly like the coolest cities?

READ MORE: http://www.governing.com/columns/eco-engines/gov-cities-marketing.html

News
    Participant

lbl
    Participant

i think it would help greatly to get the national media to recognize Columbus on their various maps during the news and weather. you never see Columbus – its always Cleveland, Cincy, Detroit, etc. Columbus is larger than all of our close neighbors, yet continues to be an overlooked point on the map.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Had a lot of fun sitting down to chat with Tim Lai and Mike Brown about branding, identity, design and a rambling range of other topics at the most recent Design Talks event! You can watch the 53 minute video of the conversation, below:

(For more on upcoming Design Talks events, visit columbuscfad.org)

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Woo, I am excited to see this city in 10-15 years! Nice chat.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

Great video. Would love to see those branding research slides though. I bet there’s some interesting stuff in those.

drew
    Participant

That was an excellent conversation. Everyone had great input, but I particularly appreciated Mike’s recounting of the Experience Columbus research and his clear-eyed, no BS assessment of the good and the bad found within. EC’s thinking on branding so far has been very smart, and I suspect it’s largely because they’ve taken the time to realistically assess the true challenges that face the city, image-wise.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

That was an excellent conversation. Everyone had great input, but I particularly appreciated Mike’s recounting of the Experience Columbus research and his clear-eyed, no BS assessment of the good and the bad found within. EC’s thinking on branding so far has been very smart, and I suspect it’s largely because they’ve taken the time to realistically assess the true challenges that face the city, image-wise.

+1

Lots of great data from Mike. There’s a lot of good top-down work going on at Experience Columbus that involves research, benchmarking and making regional assessments across a wide variety of focus areas as it relates to visitor trends, perceptions and experiences. Always interesting to hear the latest findings from them.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Great video with some good stuff, and some stuff that I don’t agree with.

I’ll share with my colleagues.

I was surprised the University and how it can be big in the marketing of Columbus nationally and globally wasn’t mentioned at all until the Q&A portion.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Join us for the Beer & Pretzel Pairing Party on November 3rd featuring Combustion Brewing & Happy Little Treats!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO