Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Boycott Skully's; Forget BP

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Boycott Skully’s; Forget BP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 117 total)
  • Author

thepiece
    Participant

“Last call is typically @ 2:15 in Ohio…All drinks in by 2:30….Did this change recently?”

This was my understanding as well, unless it has changed, my bar closing experiences are not as frequent these days.

JoeMitchell

JonMyers wrote >>

I’ve been told to “get the fuck out” on several occasions

If you’re not getting thrown out, then you’re not going hard enough.

SJT
    SJT
    Participant

Last call is around 2am. By law all open drinks have to be taken away at 2:30. If last call was at 2 though& someone tries to get a drink at 2:20, most bartenders will choose not to serve someone bc they know they won’t be able to finish the drink before 2:30. That is why they call last call at 2.

budser1228
    Participant

All drinks in by 2:30, but most places try to do it with last call before 2:00 so that by 2:30 all drinks are in, giving people time to consume said drinks. The only time that 2:00 a.m. is when your drink will be taken from you is when the time changes – Spring forward – when 2:00 a.m. immediately becomes 3:00 a.m. is when places get aggressive so that they will be in compliance with the rules/regulations.

That said, any place can have their own personal rules as it fits in with the rules/regulations.

blammo
    Participant

if you drink much more heavily earlier in the evening, then not having that last drink at 2:00 am on a wednesday night won’t be such a big deal. if they turn you down for a drink, that’s when you should get the ol’ sixer of “to go” beer at bar prices.

seriously though, i love that last nightcap but after working a long, poorly-attended wednesday night, I’m sure the employees would just like to clean up and go home. and they can decide to close up shop whenever they feel like it.

Coach Rich
    Participant

I have to take up for drinky. I witnessed similar treatment from Skully’s staff recently. We were at a Floorwalkers show several weeks ago. After the band finished, they announced “last call”. We immediately went up to the bar and ordered drinks. There was no line and we got our drinks relatively quickly. I barely had a sip of my beer when the bouncers started yelling “Get the fuck out!” to the crowd in general. Our group moved towards the front and gathered in a corner quietly finishing our drinks. The screams and taunts from the bouncers continued at the crowd in general. “Yall look too comfortable, time to go the fuck home!”

I can understand and appreciate the need for a club like Skully’s to get the bar cleared out so they can clean and complete their closing duties to go home themselves. But every bar has this need. This was the first time I’ve ever witnessed a bar treating their customers this way. At least all of their customers and not just a few belligerent drunks. And I’ve certainly been to quite a few bars. I sent them an email explaining my complaint and received a polite professional response apologizing for the staff’s behavior with an assurance that the problem was being addressed. I was at the Mojo Flo show last Saturday and didn’t see any of the same.

JedThorp

LOL…wow…do they teach that line in new employee orientation?…that should be their motto apparently. Like, they could put it on a T-shirt….”Skullys” on the front…”Get the Fuck Out!!!” on the back. I’m sorry…but if I’m in a bar simply doing what the bar was intended for (having a drink, listening to music, talking to friends) and my only transgression is that I’m doing that a little to close to what that bar decides is the time for people to leave, and I get a “get the fuck out!” from someone on their payroll, that’s probably the last time I give them my money. I’d understand if I was dancing on a table, pissing in a flower pot or puking on the bar – all of which deserve a big “get the fuck out!” regardless of the hour. I’m not saying they don’t have a right to tell me to “get the fuck out!” but when there are nicer ways to go about it (and, no, I’m not talking about a polite bouncer with a British accent offering me his arm as he says “may I walk you to your car, good sir?”) I find the “get the fuck out!” approach rude, unecessary and just bad for business.

I will say that all of this has prompted me to go to Skullys tomorrow night near closing time to see if I get told to “get the fuck out!” though. That would make me laugh. “Woo whoo…I did it!”

Columbusite

There was no need for any personal attack on my part…the review reads slightly differently.

In any case, I always respect a bar’s choice for whenever they want to close, but never has any been such an a-hole about it. The only guy that was causing a scene earlier out front was a big guy: definitely not going to confuse the two of us.

catnfiddle wrote >>
    I THOUGHT that was you at the Marvin the Robot show! You didn’t look very happy so I didn’t try to reintroduce myself.

I was a pretty tired and sweaty mess from riding straight up here and was running on near empty , but after they got into their set I was much more awake.

JonMyers
    Participant

Columbusite, your review and effort to promote your review is one big attack.

LoudPrincess

Cookie wrote >>

Patch wrote >>
    The customer is always right.

Not the drunk ones.

Amen to that. I worked at Axis for four years. Sometimes, no matter how polite ro gentle you are about getting people out the door at the end of the night, they still don’t get the hint.

Columbusite, nothing personal, but bar employees have a lot more to worry about at the end of the night than what you personally experienced at “almost 2 AM.” There are so many potential liabilites with drunks, not to mention the employees’ desire to just go home.

On another note, I had zero idea that Miles had been stabbed! Holy crap! I’ve known him since he was a kid! Glad to know he’s better, but, could somebody please guard that boy?

groundrules
    Participant

JedThorp wrote >>
    I find the “get the fuck out!” approach rude, unecessary and just bad for business.

happens all the time and many places. avoid this situation by continuing to go to bed early.

also: “employee orientation” lolz. Time for bouncer class!

cc

I will say that as far as entertainment value, I really like Columbusite’s stream of consciousness review style. I don’t think you can take yourself too seriously on a sounding board like ‘yelp’. I am kind of hoping he gets kicked out of a few more places for the prose alone…

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

groundrules wrote >>

JedThorp wrote >>
    I find the “get the fuck out!” approach rude, unecessary and just bad for business.

happens all the time and many places. avoid this situation by continuing to go to bed early.

If Dalton is teaching…

All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never underestimate your opponent. Expect the unexpected. Two, take it outside. Never start anything inside the bar unless it’s absolutely necessary. And three, be nice.

If somebody gets in your face and calls you a cocksucker, I want you to be nice. Ask him to walk. Be nice. If he won’t walk, walk him. But be nice. If you can’t walk him, one of the others will help you, and you’ll both be nice. I want you to remember that it’s a job. It’s nothing personal.

Dalton: Sorry, we’re closed.
    Ketchum: Then what are all these people doing here?
    Dalton: Drinking and having a good time.
    Ketchum: That’s why we’re here.
    Dalton: You’re too stupid to have a good time.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

groundrules wrote >>

JedThorp wrote >>

Yep…I’ve been told the same thing at bars where I know the staff as well. It’s closing, they’ve been dealing with dumb drunks all night, they need to get you out of there before mandated closing time, and they don’t want to ass around with you and your need to finish putzing around sipping on your drink. A bar full of drunks and half drunks is not going to get moving with an “exuse me sirs and misses but could you please maybe think about finishing up and leaving soon?”
    No. Get the f*@k out.

lifeliberty
    Participant

maybe it was late and I was drunk, but i don’t ever remember someone telling me directly to get the fuck out. and that’s with 20 years of being in bars. after last call when they want to go they’ll say ‘are you going to finish that, cause i hafta take it’ and you either down it or hand it back. I’ve been on both sides of the bar. I also tip very well and most places I go I’m a regular or at least show respect to the bartender. it used to be they’d say ‘ you don’t have to go home, but you can’t stay here’, not “GET THE FUCK OUT”
    if they are doing that to you, you either did something to deserve it, or that bar isn’t the bar for you.

Skully’s was always cool when it was underground on S Campus. the new location was ok early on, but we haven’t gone lately. it’s one of those places that is known for bad service, i don’t see why anyone would be surprised by it. But hostility from anyone at the end of the night is unsettling, i would be upset if any business treated me that way. I wouldn’t return.

Seems I have different experiences in my bar life than others. it’s unfortunate that business need to turn to being crass when dealing with their customers. though it is fine when deserved.
    it might be a lack of customer service skills of the staff, or a lack of respect from the customers that is leading to this, both of these things I see as problems.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 117 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION