Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Boycott Skully's; Forget BP

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Boycott Skully’s; Forget BP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 117 total)
  • Author

My Yelp review:

Oh Skully´s, how I would have given you a solid four stars if not for the atrocious treatment I received tonight. OK, so I’ve only been here more than a handful of times to see Zachary Allen Starkey and more recently (just last week) Marvin the Robot´s re-debut after Miles, the lead singer, was tragically stabbed for no reason and left bed-ridden (until last week). I was disappointed by the turnout, since the band is one of my local faves and it turns out I was one of only a dozen to witness their comeback special and spend plenty of $ at the bar. I couldn’t help but notice throughout the duration of the show that Miles was totally getting his shirt soaked with sweat (there was one remaining dry patch) as he gives his usual all.

Sure, it was about two in the AM and I was going to grab a PBR, but was going to opt instead for a Guinness (and tip accordingly) until all of a sudden the owner/employee(?) yelled at me to, “get the f*ck out!; we’re closed” despite the “Open” neon sign blazing on the window and a band that was still in the middle of playing their song. The guy pushed me out by the shoulder getting real physical, which I wouldn’t have minded if he looked decent rather than a middle-aged, Three Stooges Moe. “Get the f*ck out, drunkie”, is the last thing I will ever hear from this establishment, despite the fact that I was not puking all over the place, picking a fight, or even stumbling in the slightest bit. Perhaps my appearance as a quasi-hipster vs. 100% hipster was what did me in.

All I wanted was a beer and to say hello to the lead singer of Main Street Gospel, but the (likely) owner kicked me out as though I had sh*t on his bar. Whatever, like I told him he’d lost all of the money I would have spent there. Of course, I had to gesture to him that the “Open” sign was still lit up, bright as could be. He mouthed some obscenities at me, so what could I do? I gave him a middle finger followed by a double middle finger and finished it off with one under the left leg and one under the right: you can’t keep your balance like that unless you’re a professional, functional drunk.

So basically, I’m rooting for those who I thought I never would; the new yuppie Jackson condo residents who will complain about the noise coming from Skully’s. Duh, you chose to live next to a live music venue. Oh well, at least The Garden, The Chamber, What The Rock, and Rivet, welcomes my quasi-hipster @ss. At least I got to practice my Arabic with the friendly owner (a complete contrast to Skully’s) of the gyro stand in front of that nameless, piece-o-crap music venue/diner, so not all was for naught.

Ooh, this is my first 1 star review! Sweet…I’m no longer a virgin! In short, head up to Circus to listen to live music, grab some cheap beer, and gnosh on the magic that is Clever Crow Pizza: you can thank me later for one of the best nights you’ve had in this city.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/skullys-music-diner-columbus#hrid:tlNW6akbjcD9OdptOeJfGw

Chances are that they used BP oil to transport their beer anyway.

Tenzo
    Participant

I can’t, it might rain today

cc

Lol, in another nostalgia thread Zachary Allen Starkey was whining that High St had lost it’s grit. I guess Skully’s still has a vestigial memory of the days when they used to put ropes along High to keep drunk college students from falling in the street. Back in the seedier days the bars would play ‘Cotton Eye Joe’ and flash the lights, ‘get the f*ck out’ was pretty common. Back in the old days people didn’t ‘yelp’ about it, they just got the f*ck out…

joev
    Participant

There are two sides to every story.

groundrules
    Participant

joev wrote >>
    There are two sides to every story.

i’m on the edge of my seat.

JonMyers
    Participant

If it was “about two AM” then serving you means they could be fined or lose their liquor license.

As an owner I certainly wouldn’t debate whether or not were open with anyone if it’s “about two AM”.

Get the fuck out period.

lifeliberty
    Participant

I think you can drink til 2:30, after that all drinks need to be gone. there are many places where I’ve bought after 2 as long as it is gone by 230. and then there is the whole real time vs bar time(set fast). at the very least tell the customer last call has already past. and I’ve never heard of a venue kicking out customers before the entertainment stops. that is really bad customer service.

JonMyers
    Participant

I’ve closed down plenty of Columbus bars.

At every bar I’ve closed down the staff is urging people to have their drinks finished and moving towards the door at 2AM. All drinking must cease at 2AM.

I wish bars closed at 2:30.

If it’s a bar that is under the eye of liquor control who are constantly trying to trip them up so they can be shut down then having a no bullshit policy with a self proclaimed “quasi hipster” who feels entitled to sneak one in under the buzzer is even more pertinent.

I would have told him to get the fuck out.

Cookie

Skully is one of the owners of Circus, drunkie.

myliftkk
    Participant

I’m curious, how do you know, or assume, it was Skully? I don’t even usually see him in the bar whenever I’ve gone there for shows.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Drunkie’s rant aside, generally speaking, Skullys does suck.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>
    Skully is one of the owners of Circus, drunkie.

Ha. I forgot about that. You just made my day. :)
    What a spazz.

I do still need to try that freakin pizza though…damn.

Cookie

osulew wrote >>
    I do still need to try that freakin pizza though…damn.

You really do. It’s amazing.

bababoohi

Seems like more of a personal “what I did last night” thing than an actual review. If I whined like this everytime I was “wronged” at a bar, I’d no longer be a drinker.

catnfiddle
    Participant

I THOUGHT that was you at the Marvin the Robot show! You didn’t look very happy so I didn’t try to reintroduce myself.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 117 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.