Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

book re-binding and restoration

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A book re-binding and restoration

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

zachgs
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I did a google search but had mixed results, so I figured I would turn to CU. I’m received an old book from the 1940’s that was my grandfather’s. The book is overall in good shape but the binding is coming apart. Can anyone recommend a good shop to repair/restore the binding? I’m not sure if it would just need to be completely rebound or what would need to be done as I have never done this before.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Zach

rustbelt
    Participant

OHgoshKate

I went to Beck and Orr on West Broad to get a book from the 1970’s re-bound and they did a wonderful job. I was surprised that it only cost $40 or so to get it fixed. Just to warn you though, its a rather hole-in-the wall type of shop that doesn’t take credit cards or have a clearly marked entrance. But they were friendly!

zachgs
    Participant

Thanks!

I came across the book binding courses but this book is important to me and I’d rather not use it as my trial run for learning to bind books. Maybe sometime in the future :)

Twixlen
    Participant

I would second Beck and Orr – the shop is in a little strip of zero set back shops along West Broad, west of Hague. I haven’t used them myself, but know some folks who have, and they were extremely pleased with the work they did.

They actually have a site – http://www.beckandorr.com

AmyD
    Participant

you can also try igloo letterpress. http://www.iglooletterpress.com

Lorence
    Participant

I’ll add another vote for Beck and Orr. The owners live a few houses down from me – they’re very dedicated to doing the finest work.

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

There’s an expert in this subject at OSU’s Music and Dance library. Her name is escaping me though.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Strangely enough, I have one of those old iron copy presses from the days before typewriters, when business correspondence was written in longhand and the “copy cleerks” pressed multiple copies before the ink dried.

It looks very similar to this, only it’s rusty with no visible paint. Believe it or not, I found it on a pile of trash waiting to be burned on a Knox County ridgetop.

I don’t know what the closing force is, but it can turn an aluminium beverage can into a coin. This is a popular trick with kids when I bring it to the FOSR booth at some event.

catnfiddle
    Participant

I have two books of huge sentimental value that sustained water damage. Now I’m tempted to have them restored so I’ll stop crying whenever I look at them.

kcrissinger

Twixlen wrote >>
    I would second Beck and Orr – the shop is in a little strip of zero set back shops along West Broad, west of Hague. I haven’t used them myself, but know some folks who have, and they were extremely pleased with the work they did.
    They actually have a site – http://www.beckandorr.com

Another vote for Beck and Orr.

zachgs
    Participant

Beck and Orr it is! I’ll plan to give them a call on Monday. Thanks everyone!

emanreese
    Participant

You can ask service to repair for it and redone or perhaps even reproduce a copy of it so you can just keep the original. You can check this first http://www.digitekprinting.com/bound-books-black-white, then decide when you see their quality service sample.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

It sounds like Beck and Orr would make a good local interest story (hint, hint)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION