Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

bono Pizza

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining bono Pizza

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 108 total)
  • Author

So, I swung by Bonotogo Pizza last night, which has been described as “Pizza nirvana in a liquor store” and “the cultural summit of pizza making somehow achieved by a motley crew of tipsy jokers” and found it empty. On a Friday night. Which is inconceivable. I mean, if you at pizza last night, you should feel a intense self loathing for not going to Bono and settling for some other place and go take a shower immediately to help wash away the guilt.

Apparently, business has been way down for the past two weeks for reasons that no one can figure out, but they’re worried about making their bills if they don’t sell more pizza. Please, please don’t let this happen, as when their Russel St. location in the Short North closed a few years back, Columbus was a lesser place for it. Hell, I bought five pizzas there last night just to pitch in and support the place (and to enjoy some great pizza today).

If you don’t know about Bono Togo, it’s very tiny, as it seats only ten people in a cute little space. And it’s attached to a quicky-mart where you can buy a 20oz beer for $1.69 and carry over to the classier side of the house. And they’ll let you get up and work the pizza oven that they built themselves. As for “them”, it’s a super informal group that will make you feel like family and laugh your ass off.

There’s a menu on this page along with more reviews. Here’s a Columbus Alive review.

Anyway, if just twenty people get out to this place tonight and tomorrow night, it could make a real difference. The address is 1717 Northwest Blvd, and their number is 906-8646. They’re only open Wed-Sun 5-10pm.

Roland
    Participant

The pizzas at the new location are as good as ever. I think they suffer only because of the location.

They are still rocking the crepe desserts as well. If you ever cared about the place before, try making it a point to visit again.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

I’ll head over tomorrow for dinner. Still cash only right?

Talcott

osulew wrote >>
    I’ll head over tomorrow for dinner. Still cash only right?

It is, but I’ve heard that if you buy drinks at the carryout, they’ll let you get cash back.

GW_Justice
    Participant

Grandview has pizza overload. Beside all of the standard places, a new joint just opened up behind the Big Bird. And Massey’s is on the way!

Nate

Since I bought a pizza stone, I haven’t had much take-out pizza in the last few months. Gonna try to make a conscientious effort to stop in the next week or two since it is only a few blocks from where I work.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

GW_Justice wrote >>
    Grandview has pizza overload. Beside all of the standard places, a new joint just opened up behind the Big Bird. And Massey’s is on the way!

I can’t figure out why people jerk off over Massey’s so much. It’s like a step above Donatos. I don’t think there’s any other pizza in Gview nearly the quality of Bono. It’s too bad people don’t know about it. :( And I should feel crappy for not getting over there more. I ate there once a week when it was on Russell. :(

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Roland wrote >>
    The pizzas at the new location are as good as ever. I think they suffer only because of the location.

I’ve heard the same sentiment from a lot of people. Great pizza, but tougher location. Doesn’t have the charm of the old spot in the Short North.

Angel

I live across the street from Bono so let me know when you go! :) I’ll meet you there!

chaptal
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

Roland wrote >>

I’ve heard the same sentiment from a lot of people. Great pizza, but tougher location. Doesn’t have the charm of the old spot in the Short North.

It’s a cramped space on a corner with no charm at all. Whatever they are paying for rent in that dive of a building is too much. Pies are as good as ever.

Bear
    Participant

Location location location.

Pizzas are terrific. Carbonara was reeeeally delicious.

jarsloth
    jarsloth
    Participant

My friend was just talking about this pizza the other day; I’ll take that and this thread as a sign that I really need to go there.

somertimeoh
    Participant

I think they should lose the awful store front and just focus on a mobile operation.

catnfiddle
    Participant

I’m there at least once a week. They’re trying to get a patio operation going to give it more of the feel they had at Russell St. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!

dsigner
    Participant

Brief applause to Sean for sending out the SOS. Our local businesses do so much for the community and our support is so valuable to them. Think about the other local businesses you could be patronizing a bit more over national chains. There’s nothing wrong with national chains, but they’re a lot less likely to be owned by your neighbor ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 108 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: