Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bluestone plans 84 residences at Town and Fifth streets

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Bluestone plans 84 residences at Town and Fifth streets

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author

Nancy H
    Participant

+1 to MichaelC’s Transit Hub idea. Especially if we add in whatever becomes our mass transit / subway / light rail system.

It pretty much has to be somewhere where there is a nice chunk of open land. Those busses need refueling. Fire safety will never allow mixing that kind of hazard in with residential. Maybe not even with office or retail.

Maybe two nearby chunks of land. One for the mass transit hub and something nearby for parking busses and burying gas tanks.

derm
    derm
    Participant

I would put the Greyhound station and the Megabus station all at the airport. Then run a light rail line in to the city.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I’d put the greyhound station out off Cleveland Ave and Bonham. There’s currently just a giant steel yard there, but it’s plenty large enough and one block from the 11th Ave. ramps to 71. Just add a CMAX stop on that corner of Cleveland and Bonham and you’re good to go.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I would add that it’s easy to pick on the greyhound station and it’ll be even easier when they build that new building on the southeast corner of the Commons,but at least it’s a building with a use and sadly that makes it a lot better than many of the empty lots/surface parking that sits all around that area.

lbl
    Participant

Currently, Greyhound departs from downtown and Campus (somewhere near the Union)
    would it be feasible to consolidate into one location at a large enough parcel near 315?
    i realize much of it is used as prime game-day parking, etc. but there are an abundance of open areas along Kenny.
    and then, who owns this land? – would OSU partner with such a plan?

the option of locating in the Timkin site (5th & Cleve) could be a benefit if & when any rail is developed, since its adjacent to existing tracks that run downtown.

Nancy H
    Participant

Open-ended question for anyone/everyone:

If the Greyhound station could be relocated, where would you put it? Taking into consideration three things:

1. It should be centrally located in the region.<br>
    2. Few (if any) are built up taller or with a mixed-use component in any major city. So the form would likely stay the same.<br>
    3. The size would be roughly the same — about a city block.

Is there a better place for it with enough open land and good access?

How about the vacant land just north of the Columbus Municipal Light Plant (555 W Nationwide Blvd). That space is big enough to be a serious transit hub including whatever our future mass transit ends up being. It is bounded by 315 on the west, 670 on the north and multiple rail tracks on the east, so lots of options. It is roughly a mile from the convention center.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walker Evans wrote:</div>

If the Greyhound station could be relocated, where would you put it? Taking into consideration three things:

1. It should be centrally located in the region.<br><br>
    2. Few (if any) are built up taller or with a mixed-use component in any major city. So the form would likely stay the same.<br><br>

How about the vacant land just north of the Columbus Municipal Light Plant (555 W Nationwide Blvd). That space is big enough to be a serious transit hub including whatever our future mass transit ends up being. It is bounded by 315 on the west, 670 on the north and multiple rail tracks on the east, so lots of options. It is roughly a mile from the convention center.

I believe that land is already spoken for. I think borror is developing the western half and nationwide the eastern half.

Nancy H
    Participant

I believe that land is already spoken for. I think borror is developing the western half and nationwide the eastern half.

That means we armchair architects and amateur city planners better get busy picking a spot for a transit hub. …often wondered if anybody who has any real input in City planning ever reads comments on boards such as this.

heresthecasey
    Participant

IMO, (as an occasional rider) Greyhound needs to be Downtown, and it needs to be accessible by foot and transit – as close to as many amenities as possible.

The ideal location in DT Cbus for me would be on a portion of the Convention Center surface lot along Nationwide between 3rd and 4th St – or as close to this area as possible (especially considering that an Amtrak or other train station is likely to appear here eventually).

In this regard, Pittsburgh is a great example to follow. Their new Greyhound station shares the ground floor of an 8-story mixed-use parking garage alongside office and retail spaces. (The ceilings are extra high on the ground floor to allow the buses to enter and load/unload entirely on the interior of the structure – other uses line the edges). Also, it’s adjacent to the Pittsburgh Amtrak station, Convention Center, Convention Hotels, and a major local transit line.

It has all of this and is also an altogether clean, organized, attractive, contributing, and landmark structure for their downtown. Basically it’s everything the Columbus station – literally the next stop down the line from Pitt – should be, but is not.

See below (this is an actual photo of the station btw, not a rendering),

More info, http://www.pittsburghparking.com/gstc

There honestly shouldn’t be any reason we can’t do something similar, or even better.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Fantastic, re: Pittsburgh. Let’s make it happen.

The station just needs to interact with the street better, be more efficient and functional. If it’s redone on that spot, or even across that street (bound by Cherry), I’d say that’d more than do the trick.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

…often wondered if anybody who has any real input in City planning ever reads comments on boards such as this.

I can confirm first-hand that many of them do, on both the private development side and the public sector side. ;)

Nancy H
    Participant

IMO, (as an occasional rider)
    The ideal location in DT Cbus for me would be on a portion of the Convention Center surface lot along Nationwide between 3rd and 4th St – or as close to this area as possible (especially considering that an Amtrak or other train station is likely to appear here eventually).

I didn’t realize that surface lot was that big until I looked at it on google maps.

There is an equally big lot, about three blocks east, on Mt Vernon, between Nelson & N Sixth that could work as expansion or bus parking and servicing for Greyhound and COTA. Getting the bus servicing part out of the terminal makes for a much easier to build mixed use building.

ehill27
    Participant

IMO, (as an occasional rider) Greyhound needs to be Downtown, and it needs to be accessible by foot and transit

Yes, yes, yes. It needs to stay downtown and easy walking distance to/from the core of most transit lines (e.g. High St).

dru
    Participant

Timken lot is almost entirely spoken for by the Rogue project (unless I missed something about that falling through).

Analogue Kid
    Participant

1. It should be centrally located in the region.<br>
    2. Few (if any) are built up taller or with a mixed-use component in any major city. So the form would likely stay the same.<br>

It’s currently a jumble of parcels, but the block bordered by Front, Mound, 2nd, and Noble near the Courthouse is approximately the same size and still located in a place that should be accessible to folks without a car. That’s not a property that strikes me as having a great deal of development potential in the next 20 years even with things improving in RiverSouth.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO