Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Blue Nile Ethiopian Restaurant - Closed

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Blue Nile Ethiopian Restaurant – Closed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Saw that Alt Eats declared them closed via twitter:

Just tried to call their phone number and it went to voicemail.

Sad to hear it if it’s true. :( Some of my family has spent much of their lives in Kenya and whenever they’re in town the love going here.

http://bluenilecolumbus.com

Pablo
    Participant

Oh no!!

zp945
    Participant

I know it was for sale for multiple years. Shame to see something unique like this close.

susank

bummer :(

Damn. They served eggplant in one of the few ways I’d actually eat the thing.

BreakfastwithNick
    BreakfastwithNick
    Participant

That is sad to hear. We’ve really come to prefer Lalibela[/url] over Blue Nile, but I liked having a centrally-located Ethiopian restaurant. Very welcoming family place, great food.

mrpoppinzs

Walker said:

Just tried to call their phone number and it went to voicemail.

http://bluenilecolumbus.com

They are usually closed on Mondays. If they are closed for good I will miss them.

Edited to Add:

from Yelp:

Caveat Emptor; RIP Blue Nile.
    Emily B.
    Columbus, OH

Yes, that’s right. The Blue Nile sign is still outside, but it is now “Cafe International” per the laserjet printout on the front door. When I called to make reservations, the young gentleman on the phone explained they were no longer Blue Nile, but now Cafe International with the same Ethiopian recipes served in the past.

So, I want you to know that I had never been to the Blue Nile when it was the Blue Nile, but based on the reviews here, service seemed average and the portions hardy. Not so much our experience at Cafe International. The menu was much more abbreviated than I had seen on Blue Nile’s website and almost a quarter more in cost.

The only positive thing I can say about Cafe International is that the wine was $3 a glass and bottles of beer were $2. Good deal. Especially to kill time while we waited forever for our entrees and to fill our bellies because the food sure didn’t.

As we were paying our bills at the front, the server encouraged us to stop back soon and shared with us that in the future they would be adding on all sorts of cuisine and then rattled of a dozen cultures including Thai, Vietnamese, Costa Rican et al. Wow. They can barely handle the curtailed Ethiopian menu from the previous restaurant. Good luck!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/blue-nile-columbus?sort_by=date_desc

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

I hope they are not closed. I enjoy that restaurant.

buckette13

Was pretty disappointed the last few times I visited. Maybe they knew they were being sold? It was a good location. I always find the diversity of campus fun, and once I met the Supersize Me guy there.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

buckette13 said:
    Was pretty disappointed the last few times I visited. Maybe they knew they were being sold? It was a good location. I always find the diversity of campus fun, and once I met the Supersize Me guy there.

Did you watch the “30 Days” episode he filmed here about living off minimum wage. If memory serves me correctly, he and his girlfriend went out for her birthday dinner at Blue Nile. You crashed their date! ;)

JKimsey
    Participant

As noted in the Yelp review that mrpoppins quoted, Blue Nile is closed and now replaced by Cafe International. We ordered takeout from them about a week or so after the switch. Was disappointed by the truncated version of Blue Nile’s old menu, but we tried two of the holdover entrees. They were reasonable facsimiles of what Blue Nile served, although I thought they were slightly lacking in flavor. When I picked up the food the proprietor mentioned their plans to expand to different types of cuisine. Personally, I’ll miss Blue Nile, especially the large takeout portions, the lunch buffet, and the warm greeting we always received from the owner.

Hi everybody, this looks like its about 8 months too late to post but we’re a cafe and restaurant, we are not an Ethiopian restaurant. In fact we specialize in mostly Asian cuisine. Check out our menu: http://www.cafeinternationalohio.com/sites/default/files/main-menu-2sided-nov13.pdf

We are a cafe and restaurant that serves Cocktails, Lattes, Tapas-style small plates, and a short list of Global Entrees. We have food until 2am, free Wifi, we have plenty of room to work on homework, we support local artists and music and our food is fresh and is pretty specialized. Kye’s chives cake is probably the best in the state, in fact you’d probably have to go to chicago to find it any where else on a menu, Taste it for a few bucks and let us make you a believer.

In any case we’re open from 3pm-2am Tuesday to Saturday and 10am-9pm on Sunday. Come in and taste something Kick-butt and good for $4-$6.

I’m Nick, my girlfriend is Kye and we offer a place to grab a drink, share some small plates with friends until 2am. Thanks!

One more thing, we will be discontinuing the rest of the Ethiopian stuff we currently carry. The next couple of weekends we will be doing some kind of all-you-can-eat buffet (including the Lamb and Eggplant). I need to hammer out the details with Kye tonight.

But Kye is ready to roll out a few new things she’s been perfecting: Panang curry(Vegan & Gluten Free), Udon noodle soup(can be Vegan), Thai noodle soup(Gluten Free), maybe one more… either Tom Kah or miso depending on feedback) maybe in a month Vegetarian Katsu.

Ethio4Eva
    Participant

Sad news to pass, the Owner just passed away today. He was 52 years old and survived by wife and 2 kids. He was a great man. Cancer sucks.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

So sorry to hear that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: