Our City Online

Messageboard - Sports

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Blue jackets 2013-2014 Season

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sports Blue jackets 2013-2014 Season

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 161 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Jackets plan to be aggressive at NHL Draft

Tuesday, 06.25.2013 / 11:00 AM / News

By Rob Mixer – BlueJackets.com

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen knows the situation all too well: armed with valuable assets and an innate knowledge of the NHL Draft class, he is once again in a strong position to improve his club.

In 2007, the NHL Draft was held at Nationwide Arena in Columbus and Kekalainen was running the amateur scouting and draft efforts for the St. Louis Blues under current Blue Jackets president of hockey operations John Davidson. Ironically enough, the Blues held three first-round selections and were very aggressive in trying to move up the draft order, targeting high-end players in the top five.

READ MORE: http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=675074

Jman4ever
    Participant

Need to keep goalie Bob

This could be an issue.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Jman4ever said:
    Need to keep goalie Bob

This could be an issue.

I think its fair to say losing Goalie Bob would be backbreaking at this point.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

ESPN gave the Blue Jacket’s draft an “A+”

The Jackets made the most of three first-round picks, adding skill and hockey sense in Alexander Wennberg. I had him rated as my No. 11 prospect, and he is an excellent, complete player. Kerby Rychel brings big-time grit and toughness with an excellent net presence and the willingness to get dirty to score goals like ex-Red Wing Tomas Holmstrom. Marko Dano was their third first-round selection and was, in my opinion, a forgotten player somewhat, having played in the KHL. Add 6-foot-3 D-man Dillon Heatherington from the WHL and fellow westerner Oliver Bjorkstrand, who has high-end skill, and you have the makings of a very nice class.

swinzo1010
    Participant

Also The Hockey News declared the CBJ a winner at the draft and looks like they signed Bob for two years! Overall, a couple more steps in the right direction for the franchise.

THN Draft Winners[/url]

bjones7
    Participant

Is Bob worth 6 million for 2 years?

bjones7
    Participant

sorry 5 million per season* Hope he is worth it!

chaptal
    Participant

When you consider Phoenix paid Mike Smith 5.5 million per season for a six year deal, two years for Bobrovsky at 5-6 million is a smart move. There’s always the possibility of an extension.

It was an impressive draft for the Blue Jackets, no signs of panic that they could not deal for a proven scorer so they picked up some quality prospects.

Now to find that scorer and figure out what to do about Prospal.

geoyui
    Participant

I don’t know if the CBJ has draft parties every year, but I went and it was a brilliant move by management and the CBJ. Carried last year’s success into this free admission event to garner more fan support/excitement. It was held at Nationwide, you could go ice level (no ice) and walk around various booths, take pics with stinger, let the kids play street hockey, tour the locker rooms and training facilities, buy food, etc. They lowered the scoreboard to about 10 feet from the ground so that you can watch the whole draft.

RedStorm
    Participant

CBJ signed free agent C/RW Nathan Horton, formerly of the Boston Bruins, to a 7 year/$37 million deal and in the process, landed one of the biggest prizes in this year’s free agent class. Horton had absolutely great things to say about the city and you can mark him down as another guy who really wants to be in Columbus.

bjones7
    Participant

I wonder what his stats were against the Hawks in the Stanley Cup finals?

geoyui
    Participant

Davidson was irked by some comments made by a Canadian hockey show about Columbus and Horton’s move:

Blue Jackets lock up Nathan Horton

Davidson was angry that panelists on a TV sports show out of Canada said Horton was “going into the woods” or moving to “Green Acres.”

“Family is a big part of this,” Davidson said. “Columbus is a terrific city. It has so much to offer.”

RedStorm
    Participant

“This past season, he had seven goals and 12 assists — and a remarkable plus-20 — in the Bruins’ 22 playoff games that ended with a six-game loss to Chicago in the finals.”

Guy does have durability issues with concussions and shoulder injuries. So like Gaborik (with his groin) it’s a bit of a risk.

Re: JD and “green acres:” I heard about that as well but Columbus will be a major city or “arrived” when we stop caring what other people say about us, especially when it’s clear they haven’t been here.

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

geoyui said:
    Davidson was irked by some comments made by a Canadian hockey show about Columbus and Horton’s move:

Blue Jackets lock up Nathan Horton

Davidson was angry that panelists on a TV sports show [b]out of Canada[/b] said Horton was “going into the woods” or moving to “Green Acres.”

keeping in mind their WHOLE country is Green Acres, I wouldn’t let it get to ya. I mean, seriously, they have what, THREE cities with a larger population than Columbus, in a country BIGGER than the U.S.? I’d think twice about referring to ANYWHERE as out in the woods if I was from Canada.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

They’re all in Toronto aren’t they? They can still rag on us..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 161 total)

The forum ‘Sports’ is closed to new topics and replies.