Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bizarre foods: Columbus?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Bizarre foods: Columbus?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    jarsloth
    jarsloth
    Participant

Sadly, Diaspora no longer carries this.

drew said:

If Diaspora still has the (I believe it’s silkworm) pupa dish, that’d fit the bill.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

drew said:
    Oh, and if I really wanted to make Zimmern say ‘uncle’, I’d take him to Skyline.

I was thinking something along those lines. We have plenty of disgusting regional food without dabbling in the cuisines of far-flung locales! :D

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Send him to a school or a nursing home.

Once I was visiting Mom and her lunch was delivered, a scoop of something on a plate. I asked the orderly what it was, and she looked at it and said “I don’t know.”

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

drew said:
    Oh, and if I really wanted to make Zimmern say ‘uncle’, I’d take him to Skyline.

-shutters-

Parker
    Participant

I don’t get the fetish of eating pseudo-bizarre foods. What’s so ironic about a beating heart. Anyone can make up this stuff and pass it off as an oddity. Ripley lives! Why not really go out on a limb and call up a dish of raw (and fully impacted) raccoon intestines as a “traditional” dish served on a plate of dirty diapers?

It’s like pica – what’s the point unless it’s a disorder.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Parker said:

Because shock value makes for good TV, of course.

I’d be interested to see what the show would be like if the audience was reversed. What do Americans eat that would completely freak out someone who regularly eats bats, eyeballs, raw organs, etc? I think our consumption of processed shit (like a McNugget) would make them question our sanity.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Parker said:
    I don’t get the fetish of eating pseudo-bizarre foods.

Oh right. Everyone should just eat the same thing. Maybe in paste form.

At one point pizza and pasta were both bizarre foods. Maybe people just like to try something different and, if enough people like it then it’s the new normal.

drew
    Participant

Parker said:
    I don’t get the fetish of eating pseudo-bizarre foods. What’s so ironic about a beating heart. Anyone can make up this stuff and pass it off as an oddity. Ripley lives! Why not really go out on a limb and call up a dish of raw (and fully impacted) raccoon intestines as a “traditional” dish served on a plate of dirty diapers?

I don’t know that I’d overly inclined go out of my way to look for the most bizarre foods I could find (though I’ll admit that on occasion I do), but I can give you two good reasons why I’d generally eat them were I to be presented with the option:

1) I’m very into the idea of using the whole animal, or at least as much as is possible. After killing an animal, it almost seems like something of an obligation to use as much of it as is practical, no? If someone can prepare the less-used cuts in a palatable manner, then the question becomes, ‘why not eat it?”.

2) Foods that strike us as odd are clearly far less so for the groups that eat them with any frequency. Who is to say who is correct on the matter? For all I know I may be missing out on a pleasurable experience by not eating them… and I do know that some of my attempts to try unusual foods have been exceptionally rewarding on multiple levels.

joev
    Participant

I was going to say White Castle. Don’t they have rings made of pressed chicken bits?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

joev said:
    I was going to say White Castle. Don’t they have rings made of pressed chicken bits?

Like you’ve never hit up WC after a long night. Admit your chicken ringery!

rus
    rus
    Participant

Snarf said:

That sounds like the weirdest sex toy…

joev
    Participant

Snarf said:

I’ve eaten at White Castle exactly once. Even among fast food, it’s especially vile. Makes McDonald’s seem like Basi.

This is one of my favorite shows, I think I’ve watched all the episodes. Not sure we have anything in Columbus that compares to drinking curdled milk and cow’s blood in Namibia, but I’d suggest the North Market. Boring, probably, but what else in town has local, fresh produce & meat?

I was pumped to see Andrew Zimmern wearing one of my shirts on last night’s show (Mpls) though:

(link to the store:) http://www.sharingmachine.com/index.php?item=43

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Back in the 70s when my sister was dating, one boyfriend would conveniently happen to show up right around lunchtime. He was ready to try just about anything, but the blutwurst from Thurns put a stop to that.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Send him to La Plaza Tapatia. They have had tripe in green chile every time I have hit the buffet. Not wierd to me, but people I have taken there seem to think so. Muy delicioso!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: