Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bizarre foods: Columbus?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Bizarre foods: Columbus?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

So I’m watching Bizarre Foods America:

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/bizarre-foods/articles/bizarre-foods

Turtle butchering with the aid of a air hose… damn.

Made me wonder though: If Andrew Zimmern asked you what he should film in Columbus, where would you send him?

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Mr. Eggs

rus
    rus
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:
    Mr. Eggs

Dunno if even Zimmern is ready for that ;-)

Maybe some of the Ethiopian or Somali joints? Indian joints like Dosa corner?

tourist19
    Participant

That dish at Fortune with the cubes of blood. I just couldn’t like it. I tried it, and I’m super proud of that.

rus
    rus
    Participant

tourist19 said:
    That dish at Fortune with the cubes of blood. I just couldn’t like it. I tried it, and I’m super proud of that.

That sounds like a definite add, although the on-line reviews are kinda mixed. There was an ownership change? Have to wonder if that’s still on the menu…

Taz Devil
    Participant

Not that it is all that bizarre, but the chicken feet at the Sunflower Restaurant are pretty gnarly.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

tourist19 said:

You don’t like cubes of blood, huh? Weird!

groundrules
    Participant

Snarf said:
    You don’t like cubes of blood, huh? Weird!

this Twilight fad has gone too far.

Twixlen
    Participant

rus said:
    That sounds like a definite add, although the on-line reviews are kinda mixed. There was an ownership change? Have to wonder if that’s still on the menu…

It’s still on the menu, and I happen to like it. I also like their other savory “jellies” – one were these crazy pale blue opaque cubes, sort of salty and sour.

Zimmerman is used to eating the eyeballs out of an undead creature – I’m not sure anything we have in town will come close to measuring up.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    It’s still on the menu, and I happen to like it. I also like their other savory “jellies” – one were these crazy pale blue opaque cubes, sort of salty and sour.

Zimmerman is used to eating the eyeballs out of an undead creature – I’m not sure anything we have in town will come close to measuring up.

Have to swing by there, then.

You’re right, of course… we may not be weird enough.

Gig3000

Twixlen:Zimmerman is used to eating the eyeballs out of an undead creature – I’m not sure anything we have in town will come close to measuring up.

Why isn’t PETA getting involved? `Sickening. Also, the time he ate the beating heart of a frog.

Twixlen
    Participant

Gig3000 said:

Twixlen:Zimmerman is used to eating the eyeballs out of an undead creature – I’m not sure anything we have in town will come close to measuring up.

Why isn’t PETA getting involved? `Sickening. Also, the time he ate the beating heart of a frog.

I was being a bit facetious… though I also witnessed the beating-heart-of-a-cobra (the animal was dead – the heart continues to beat). I’m sure PETA is all over him, like they are anyone who is in the public eye & eats meat.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    I was being a bit facetious… though I also witnessed the beating-heart-of-a-cobra (the animal was dead – the heart continues to beat). I’m sure PETA is all over him, like they are anyone who is in the public eye & eats meat.

Perhaps PETA could throw some naked women in a cage in his honor or something.

drew
    Participant

I’d send him to Kihachi for squid that’s been aged, in a sauce that contains salt & its own liver, for 15 years. While he’s there, he might give the ankimo (monkfish liver) a shot.

If Diaspora still has the (I believe it’s silkworm) pupa dish, that’d fit the bill.

And, I’m pretty certain Chuchay’s could scare up some nice balut.

Fortune does carry a wide variety of dishes that feature off-cuts and/or blood. The sliced cow stomach dish is friggin’ delicious! (as are many, many of their dishes).

The okra stews at Intercontinental and Drelyse aren’t especially challenging due to the ingredients, but I swear they’re the exact consistency of snot and about as appetizing. The thought of it grosses me out more than anything else I’ve mentioned… and I like damned near everything else at either of those restaurants.

Chicharron at a taco truck might work. It’s pig skin (and associated subcutaneous fat) that’s been cubed and simmered in a sauce. It’s, let’s say, texturally challenging.

drew
    Participant

Oh, and if I really wanted to make Zimmern say ‘uncle’, I’d take him to Skyline.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: