Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bill Proposed to Phase Out Ohio Income Tax

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Bill Proposed to Phase Out Ohio Income Tax

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Bill Could Phase Out Ohio Income Tax

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

To many people not having to pay state income taxes sounds like a good idea, but opponents of a bill that would phase the tax out over the next 10 years, call it a catastrophe.

The funding could disappear under Ohio House Bill 400, which seeks to eliminate the state’s income tax over a 10-year period.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2010/05/26/story-columbus-bill-proposes-phasing-out-income-tax.html?sid=102

gramarye
    Participant

As always, I am impressed with the erudition and cordiality of the Dispatch commenters. (I know it’s 10TV, but it’s basically all the same.)

GW_Justice
    Participant

This is just as crazy as it sounds. The bill doesn’t say anything about replacement with some other form of income, just a graduated cut to 0% income tax in 2019.

The Rs have a real problem with these anti-tax nuts. There are 31 co-sponsors. I’m sure it is some kind of teabagger initiative that most of the reps have signed on just to pander to that base, but wow – didn’t they learn from the Rand Paul affair that you can go too far in supporting the baggers?

Bear
    Participant

love election season

Brant
    Participant

Right on, Bear.

thepiece
    Participant

This is just insanity.
    Ohio desperately needs to improve its infrastructure and increase its educated workforce to economically compete. Abolishing one of the primary sources of revenue to achieve these goals would do nothing but undermine these goals.

Of course this will be justified with a claim that by cutting the income tax, this will make our state a free market paradise and instantly produce an economic rebirth.
    Which always leaves me wondering….what happened to all of that economic growth that was predicted to occur when Taft cut taxes during his second term?

joev
    Participant

Eliminating a tax with no plans for specific budget cuts or revenue replacement is reckless, irresponsible governance. Ohioans heard loud and clear during the last state budget cycle that budget cuts mean service cuts, and I don’t think many people outside of SW Ohio have the stomach for eliminating another 45% of the state budget.

gramarye
    Participant

Well, there are at least a few states with no income tax, including Washington state, not exactly a GOP stronghold, so it is at least possible. However, one would hope that the model for how the government *would* be funded would take place alongside the much more PR-friendly discussion of how it *wouldn’t.*

joev
    Participant

gramarye wrote >>
    Well, there are at least a few states with no income tax, including Washington state, not exactly a GOP stronghold, so it is at least possible. However, one would hope that the model for how the government *would* be funded would take place alongside the much more PR-friendly discussion of how it *wouldn’t.*

Yep. I know some states can do without income taxes, but like you said, they have other sources of income in place to pay the bills.

I’m not concerned so much with the size of government for its own sake, as the supporters of this bill seem to be. I want the right size of government to deliver the services the people need and want.

Bear
    Participant

@Fake_Dispatch BREAKING: Ohio to replace Income Tax with Internet Dumb-ass Tax; fining users for every stupid comment they make in the Dispatch forums.

drew
    Participant

Bear wrote >>
    @Fake_Dispatch BREAKING: Ohio to replace Income Tax with Internet Dumb-ass Tax; fining users for every stupid comment they make in the Dispatch forums.

I’m sold.

kit444
    Participant

Bear wrote >>

At even a nickel a comment, we’d have enough revenue to eliminate all other taxes.

rus
    rus
    Participant

kit444 wrote >>

Bear wrote >>

At even a nickel a comment, we’d have enough revenue to eliminate all other taxes.

Budget like that, and you’re looking at door to door maglev service. Heck, even politicians couldn’t spend ALL that money on hookers and blow.

gramarye
    Participant

joev wrote >>

gramarye wrote >>

Yep. I know some states can do without income taxes, but like you said, they have other sources of income in place to pay the bills.
    I’m not concerned so much with the size of government for its own sake, as the supporters of this bill seem to be. I want the right size of government to deliver the services the people need and want.

I am deeply concerned with the size of the federal government per se, but the size of the state government is less concerning to me because (i) we have a balanced budget requirement, (ii) the exit option is easier to exercise, and (iii) the size is simply smaller.

kit444
    Participant

rus wrote >>

Budget like that, and you’re looking at door to door maglev service. Heck, even politicians couldn’t spend ALL that money on hookers and blow.

“Hookers and blow for everyone!” I think I have my campaign slogan.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER