Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bikes Should Have License Plates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Bikes Should Have License Plates

This topic contains 270 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  joev 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 273 total)
  • Author

joev
    Participant

Or some other way to easily identify them.

I almost got knocked over by a cyclist who plowed right through a red light on High Street. I see people doing that EVERY day. I was thinking – I would absolutely call the police department to report a motorist who drove through a red light (especially if they almost hit me.) There is no way to identify a cyclist who is endangering others.

greenhouse1014
    Participant

joev wrote >>
    I almost got knocked over by a cyclist who plowed right through a red light on High Street. I see people doing that EVERY day. I was thinking – I would absolutely call the police department to report a motorist who drove through a red light (especially if they almost hit me.) There is no way to identify a cyclist who is endangering others.

I agree. And there should also be a bike license that you have to test for. I should be able to feel at least somewhat secure in the fact that the operator of any vehicle with which I’m sharing the road is competent and skilled enough to operate that vehicle properly, sharing the road, etc. Of course, you couldn’t hold kids to this, so I would apply it only to “main” roads or roads over a certain speed limit.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

greenhouse1014 wrote >>

joev wrote >>

I agree. And there should also be a bike license that you have to test for. I should be able to feel at least somewhat secure in the fact that the operator of any vehicle with which I’m sharing the road is competent and skilled enough to operate that vehicle properly, sharing the road, etc. Of course, you couldn’t hold kids to this, so I would apply it only to “main” roads or roads over a certain speed limit.

Part of this requires livable neighborhoods and complete streets where parents can actually teach their kids correctly from the start. I think that’s one of the biggest reasons you see all the problems, we get taught wrong at a young age due to irrational fears or the lack of space. So kids bike on the sidewalk, then they go to OSU and assume it’s right. I would love to see cycling education actually become part of grade school curriculum. Make it a unit of gym class at some point of the year. And considering we are now the 15th state in childhood obesity, might not be a bad idea.

The problem with a license is that it begins to strip away at the inherent right of travel under one’s own power. Should we require pedestrians to carry a license so they don’t jaywalk? Driving remains a privilege because of the greater inherent harm possible with the larger mass. Can bikes cause accidents? Without a doubt. But defensive driving skills can largely prevent such things in most cases.

ETA

I should add that since the drivers license is pretty much the standard for photo ID in the states, many of those cyclists probably are licensed. What I would be in absolute favor of is, not a separate license, but greater attention to cycling in the driver’s license process. League of American bicyclists does have a course available for motorist when it comes to bike operation and laws. Would be a great addition, or something similar, for drivers education classes. And make cycling law-stops, signals etc.-a mandatory portion of the written drivers test.

joev
    Participant

I’m talking about bikes that ride on High Street at rush hour and run through red lights, not on sidewalks. Not kids, people in their 20s and 30s who should and do know better. If not licensing, then some good way to identify a cyclist who is breaking the law.

joev
    Participant

If you can’t follow the rules of the road, you should stick to the bike paths and walk your bike through the city.

And to get too far away from my point – this is not just another thread about bad cyclists. This is a thread about making cyclists identifiable. There is no incentive to follow the rules if there are no police in sight and no one can turn you in. And that’s what creates the bad cyclist problem, in my book.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

joev wrote >>
    I’m talking about bikes that ride on High Street at rush hour and run through red lights, not on sidewalks. Not kids, people in their 20s and 30s who should and do know better. If not licensing, then some good way to identify a cyclist who is breaking the law.

Radio Dispatch: What would you like to report?
    : A cyclist just ran a red light. [Insert bike color], rider was [insert sex] [insert race] wearing [insert clothing] and [insert helmet color, if applicable].

If you report a vehicle and don’t catch the plate, how do you do it?

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

joev wrote >>
    If you can’t follow the rules of the road, you should stick to the bike paths and walk your bike through the city.
    And to get too far away from my point – this is not just another thread about bad cyclists. This is a thread about making cyclists identifiable. There is no incentive to follow the rules if there are no police in sight and no one can turn you in. And that’s what creates the bad cyclist problem, in my book.

Same can be said for cars. Does any here go exactly 65 on the freeways? Come to a full and complete stop at 2 am?

joev
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

joev wrote >>

: A cyclist just ran a red light. [Insert bike color], rider was [insert sex] [insert race] wearing [insert clothing] and [insert helmet color, if applicable].

I catch the plate or I don’t call. But there is a front and back plate for me to catch, so I normally do. A description of a cyclist is not going to be helpful – once they reach their destination, they’re no longer a cyclist. And 90% of the people who I see running red lights would fit this description: white male, 5’8″ – 5′-10″, 20s, hat, messenger bag, one pants leg rolled up. Also, LOL @ “helmet color.”

I ride my bike on the streets often. I follow the rules. I have no beef with anyone who does. But some people just don’t, and it is dangerous.

joev
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

joev wrote >>

Same can be said for cars. Does any here go exactly 65 on the freeways? Come to a full and complete stop at 2 am?

Speeding on the freeway is a tangent. There are no pedestrians or cyclists moving at exponentially lower rates of speed. And yes, I always come to a full stop at a stop sign, no matter what time it is.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I agree that it would add accountability to some of the law breaking.

If bikes are to be treated as on-street transportation vehicles, then I don’t see why they shouldn’t have the same licensing and registration requirements that all other street vehicles do.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

joev wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

joev wrote >>

I catch the plate or I don’t call. But there is a front and back plate for me to catch, so I normally do. A description of a cyclist is not going to be helpful – once they reach their destination, they’re no longer a cyclist. And 90% of the people who I see running red lights would fit this description: white male, 5’8″ – 5′-10″, 20s, hat, messenger bag, one pants leg rolled up. Also, LOL @ “helmet color.”
    I ride my bike on the streets often. I follow the rules. I have no beef with anyone who does. But some people just don’t, and it is dangerous.

No question it’s dangerous. I just question if slapping a sticker or handing out a little card is going to do an ounce of good. We have been licensing drivers and tagging cars with plates for how long? I still get people who cut me off on the freeway, who zoom by at 75-80 when there is blinding rain or a snow storm and one lane open. I see 6 cars turn left when the light is going from yellow to red. People are idiots. In the grand scheme of things, that cyclists is really only harming themselves. Simple physics tells us who is going to win when that 30 pound bike goes through a red and gets nailed by an SUV.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    I agree that it would add accountability to some of the law breaking.
    If bikes are to be treated as on-street transportation vehicles, then I don’t see why they shouldn’t have the same licensing and registration requirements that all other street vehicles do.

As I said, let’s just beef up the licensing for drivers so that cycling is actually included in the test. Problem solved without adding to the mindless bureaucracy that already exists.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

joev wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

joev wrote >>

Speeding on the freeway is a tangent. There are no pedestrians or cyclists moving at exponentially lower rates of speed. And yes, I always come to a full stop at a stop sign, no matter what time it is.

So follow the law….except…

joev
    Participant

A license plate would add accountability where there is currently none. On a bicycle, you are anonymous. Some people use that to ride through red lights and know they’ll only get in trouble if a cop sees them. I don’t care so much about a licensing test, but I think it’s a good idea.

Core_Models

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

joev wrote >>

Within 5 mph, and yes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 273 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Join us for the Beer & Pretzel Pairing Party on November 3rd featuring Combustion Brewing & Happy Little Treats!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO