Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bikes ARE supposed to have license plates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Bikes ARE supposed to have license plates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I didn’t really want to just bury this in the other thread, as it was mostly just a bunch of pointless shouting, and thought this was a good turning point for discussion anyway…

From here:

http://ordlink.com/codes/columbus/_DATA/TITLE05/Chapter_571_BICYCLE_REGISTRATI.html

Quote:
    Cross References

Traffic regulations – see Ohio R.C. 4511.52 et seq.

Pushcarts – see B. REG. Ch. 573

Traffic regulation of bicycles and motor bicycles – see TRAF. Ch. 2173

571.01 Definitions.

For purposes of this Chapter 571 a “bicycle” means every device propelled by human power upon which any person may ride having either two tandem wheels, or one wheel in the front and two wheels in the rear, any of which is more than fourteen inches in diameter; and includes any such device fitted with a helper motor rated less than one brake horsepower transmitted by friction and not by gear or chain, which produces only ordinary pedaling speeds up to a maximum of twenty miles per hour. (Ord. 2173-74.)

571.02 Application for registration.

Application for bicycle registration shall be made by the owner of such vehicle to the Section of Licenses, as provided in Chapter 501, Columbus City Codes. Bicycles may be registered at the following locations: all Columbus Recreation Centers, all Columbus Fire Houses, and such other locations as deemed necessary by the Section of Licenses. (Ord. 2173-74.)

571.03 Registration fee.

Repealed by Ordinance 868-03.

571.04 Issuance of license plate and certificate.

Upon proper application made therefor, to the Section of Licenses, as provided in Chapter 501, Columbus City Codes, there shall be issued to the owner of such bicycle a certificate of registration and a license decal or plate which are serially numbered to correspond with each other and which are in a form and design approved by said Section of Licenses.

The registration certificate shall show the name and address of such registrant, the date of issuance of such certificate, together with the serial number of the bicycle. (Ord. 2173-74.)

571.05 Failure to display bicycle license.

No person shall ride or operate a bicycle or permit a bicycle to be operated upon any of the streets in the city without a proper registration license decal or plate securely attached to such bicycle, in a position that shall be plainly visible at all times. Whoever violates this section is guilty of failure to display a bicycle license, a minor misdemeanor. (Ord. 2173-74.)

571.06 Registration term and failure to remove bicycle license.

All registration certificates issued under this chapter shall be effective from the date of issuance and shall expire on the date the bicycle is sold or transferred by the person under whose name it is registered. No person shall transfer or sell a bicycle without removing or destroying the registration license decal or plate. Whoever violates this section is guilty of failure to remove a bicycle license, a minor misdemeanor. (Ord. 2173-74.)

571.07 Records of certificates.

The Section of Licenses, after issuing a bicycle registration certificate and license decal or plate, shall transmit to the police department, within seven days after issuance, a record of the bicycle registration certificate including the number and date of issuance thereof, the name and address of the person to whom issued, a description of the bicycle, together with its serial number or other identification mark, and the application for the certificate. Such record, data and applications, relative to bicycles registered for licenses, shall be kept by the police department in a manner which will afford and facilitate prompt identification of any such bicycle registered for license. (Ord. 2173-74.)

Editor’s Note: Former Sections 571.08 through 571.14 were repealed by Ordinance 2173-74.

Discuss.

Core_Models

That’s predominately for theft deterrence. They’re usually stickers like this:

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

The last round of state bicycle law revisions cleaned up a lot of the inconsistencies between municipalities and made cycling law much more universal across the state. I believe licensing is part of this.

From everything I am reading in ORC, one doesn’t have to have a license or plate or registration to ride a bicycle. For a city to require licensing/registration/plates to operate a bicycle would be fundamentally inconsistent with ORC bike laws, which is not allowed under the most recent state changes.

Another issue that comes up with these laws (and make it clearer) is that the state does not ban sidewalk cycling and recognizes a legal right to most roadways. A city can ban, as Columbus does, sidewalk cycling but can not restrict cyclists to the sidewalk as that would be fundamentally inconsistent with ORC.

ETA

I’m trying to see if the new proposals for Columbus Bike Laws passed or not. That was part of the bicentennial bikeways plan, released last year, to revise city codes to reflect the ORC changes. This may have/will addressed the license issue.

StowCbusCleveland
    Participant

Huh. Who knew? Apparently every cyclist I’ve ever seen in Columbus is a scofflaw guilty of a minor misdemeanor. I may have just found the solution to Cbus’s budget hole. Turn a few police into the bike stoppers (Bike-Stop-o?) and we’ll be rolling in it!

This makes me feel like sometime I should just sit down and read the Columbus City Code…there’s gotta be some more gems in there.

turnedNOTburned
    Participant

StowCbusCleveland wrote >>
    Huh. Who knew? Apparently every cyclist I’ve ever seen in Columbus is a scofflaw guilty of a minor misdemeanor. I may have just found the solution to Cbus’s budget hole. Turn a few police into the bike stoppers (Bike-Stop-o?) and we’ll be rolling in it!
    This makes me feel like sometime I should just sit down and read the Columbus City Code…there’s gotta be some more gems in there.

Seriously, that’d be a thread for days… It would almost make sense to start reviewing/evaluating/eliminating outdated/ineffective/low impact-high-cost laws as a means of Budget reform and cost cutting.

jlathram
    Participant

StowCbusCleveland
    Participant

turnedNOTburned wrote >>

StowCbusCleveland wrote >>

Seriously, that’d be a thread for days… It would almost make sense to start reviewing/evaluating/eliminating outdated/ineffective/low impact-high-cost laws as a means of Budget reform and cost cutting.

I’ve occasionally wondered if it wouldn’t be a good idea to have a full review of what’s on the books every 10-15 years if for no other reason than to just clean them up. So many laws are passed in a specific moment in time for specific circumstances that there must be plenty of laws in Columbus (or any city in the country really) that just flat-out don’t apply at all any more. Plus you know, what you said about laws that actually cost us money without helping.

Tigertree

StowCbusCleveland wrote
    Like race track slot machines?

Ugh. I give up, there are people here and my html copy and paste skills are failing me.

Tigertree

Like race track slot machines?

michaelcoyote
    Participant

jlathram wrote >>
    ohio bike laws

That’s a “Model Municipal Code”, not the actual bike laws. Those (at least the new ones) are over here: HB 389

Ohio Bike Law Guidelines wrote
    If you have a police bike patrol, ask uniformed officers to set a good example by riding correctly on the streets.

hahah, I agree, but I’ve still not seen it.. Most CPD bicycle patrol officers ride on the sidewalks..

michaelcoyote
    Participant

HB 389 wrote:

Sec. 4511.07. (A) Sections 4511.01 to 4511.78, 4511.99, and 4513.01 to 4513.37 of the Revised Code do not prevent local authorities from carrying out the following activities with respect to streets and highways under their jurisdiction and within the reasonable exercise of the police power:

(9) Requiring the registration and licensing of bicycles, including the requirement of a registration fee for residents of the local authority;

Looks like they can require a city sticker if they so please.. Now the question is.. if I go an try and buy one, will anyone know WTF I’m talking about? :-)

I’ll find out next week, as I’ve got 4 bikes that “need” them (i guess)..

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

I stand corrected then. I still tend to agree with some of the ideas presented that we have a fundamental right of travel under our own power that should not be regulated in the form of fees or licenses. My taxes already pay for the roads I used and the police can impound my bike regardless however minor the infraction.

Bikes and cars do have very fundamental differences which are already reflected in the law. You can’t impede travel in a motor vehicle but the law makes exceptions for bikes under slow moving vehicle codes. The skill set for a bike can be taught at a very young age in a short amount of time and gradual built upon through life. So I am all for education.

Licensing and registration as a means of accountability and responsibility (as some here have argued) is an abject failure when we consider the larger picture. How many DUI fatalities do we see where the driver had a suspended license or multiple infractions. Look at that tragedy involving David Hines in Febuary. The driver who killed him had multiple infractions and one previous incident involving personal injury of another driver. We don’t need more failed policies. Enforce the laws we have and improve education all around.

Core_Models

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    I stand corrected then. I still tend to agree with some of the ideas presented that we have a fundamental right of travel under our own power that should not be regulated in the form of fees or licenses.

You do, its called walking ;)

p.s. In fact, it already has special lanes and everything.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Really though, I’d have to say that this is a failed law in so much as it’s widely ignored and unenforced..

StowCbusCleveland
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    Enforce the laws we have and improve education all around.

To me, this is the most important thing to do if the end goal is safety.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

KEEP LOCAL JOURNALISM HEALTHY.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE