Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bike thieves in Grandview/5xNW putting pink streamers on bikes

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Bike thieves in Grandview/5xNW putting pink streamers on bikes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

buckette13

A friend clued me in on this. It seems bike thieves in Grandview/5xNW area have been scoping out bikes locked up mostly by students in the area. They see if a bike sits for a day or two and then attach pink streamers to it. They then watch if the streamers are removed (bike is watched) if not they come back to cut lock and steal it.

If you see this taking place take a picture and call the cops!

I am guessing this gang is responsible for the ‘forsale bikes’ attached to street signs on 5th and King and other neighborhoods.

12638-cz.jpg

derm
    derm
    Participant

While I dont know if this is the same group, there was an email around from the Grandview cops a couple months ago about bike thefts linked to a local men’s shelter. I am guessing the one near Blackburn chimney sweeps. The Grandview cops were going to try to patrol more often there, but it is City of Columbus and the city does not patrol the 5th by NW part hardly at all, per a COC cop I was talking to one day.

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

I noticed a bike with pink ribbon today on 7th avenue.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

OSU does this same thing at the end of every quarter. They tag bikes, see if it’s still there in a few weeks. If it’s still there, they cut the lock, take it, and then have a bike sale later in the year.

Seems like they want to get some bikes that have been abandoned by students and want to feel better about it by “making sure” they don’t take one that someone is still using. A lot of bikes are abandoned and just sit around to rust out. The ethics of this are questionable and of course it’s still wrong/illegal to take something that isn’t yours even if it isn’t being used.

Anyway, this is pretty easy to combat. Just take the streamer off any bike that you see.

Graybeak
    Participant

I would think for TOSU, some sort of “official” notice might work better, but could have the undesired effect of someone seeing it and using the opportunity to steal the bike before TOSU can collect it.

buckette13

I saw one near the alley by Go Fitness and removed the streamers after I was told. It was attached to some fire stairs. Trying to assuage their conscience doesn’t make it any bettter in my book.

groundrules
    Participant

NerosNeptune said:
    The ethics of this are questionable and of course it’s still wrong/illegal to take something that isn’t yours even if it isn’t being used.

Littering is illegal too.

Graybeak said:
    I would think for TOSU, some sort of “official” notice might work better, but could have the undesired effect of someone seeing it and using the opportunity to steal the bike before TOSU can collect it.

it’s an official tag/note that says something along the lines of ‘hey, if you don’t move this, we’re gonna impound it’.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Do they do a tag/note on cars? I know they mark tires, but thought they just towed after that.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

I’ll keep an eye out here. Thanks for the heads up.

Although, with my weird luck lately I can see getting caught removing the streamer and get mistaken for the thief. :(

buckette13

groundrules said:
    Littering is illegal too.

it’s an official tag/note that says something along the lines of ‘hey, if you don’t move this, we’re gonna impound it’.

If it is attached to OSU property I can understand. This thread is about bikes at private apartment buildings in a residential area. The bike I pulled the streamers off was new (not rusty) and attached to fire stairs.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

Not sure about cars.. this article talks about the bike collections:

http://www.thelantern.com/campus/ohio-state-works-to-reuse-abandoned-bicycles-1.2872076#.UgFVdRYoJuo

groundrules
    Participant

buckette13 said:
    This thread is about bikes at private apartment buildings in a residential area.

leftovers

Taking their picture sounds like a good idea. I assume this happens at night though.

Not that Tom
    Not that Tom
    Participant

gosh, these criminals sure are leaving a Calling Card. Marv of the “Wet Bandits” would be proud

bucki12

A lot of students who live in apartments go home or travel during the summer. I can see how this would be an effective way to get some stolen inventory during the Summer sales season or Fall back to school rush. Back then I used to keep my bike chained outside due to lack of space.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: