Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bike Lanes on Summit and Fourth

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Bike Lanes on Summit and Fourth

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 145 total)
  • Author
    Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

The bike kanes on summit have to be the biggest F-U to cars,I’ve ever seen in my 20+ years here. I have to admit that I’m kind of tickled by the project. Think we’ll see more?

TommyH
    Participant

One can only hope. As many times as I’ve had an FU directed at me while biking on Summit, either in the traditional form or in the form of complete disregard for my existence, I’d say we’re still not even. Replace I-71 with a lightrail and we’ll call the debt paid.

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

Not an F-U to cars. It’s more of a ‘welcome, bikes.’

Mike88
    Participant

I’ve been ridden off the road more times than I can count on Summit so good, I’m fine giving a big FU to inconsiderate motorists.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

As someone who both drives and bikes in this area regularly, should I be giving the finger to myself?

I think it’s a bit silly to look at it through an “us versus them” lens. It’s a balancing of options for all kinds of commuters and uses. It’s a good project for all involved, IMHO.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

It was just a funny topic title. No offense to drivers intended.

In response to the IV comment, do you think the lanes will go all the way though IV? Right now it looks like that stretch will be left out.

jOHnH
    Participant

I live between summit and 4th and I absolutely love the changes. It has been a great/welcomed change. Not only are the roads safer for bikers, but also for pedestrians walking or crossing the streets. Great step in the right direction. I would really like to see more police officers catching speeders down these 2 streets, but the change has definitely had a positive impact.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

It is really weird for bus riders, though. Ivve already seen several instances of bus drivers almost passing by the people waiting on the sidewalks. Hopefully they’ll get used to it.

dalias
    dalias
    Participant

I think the bigger FU was that in spite of the new bike lanes marked down the left-hand side of Summit, traffic in the far right-hand lane of traffic was slowed down this morning behind a biker using a pretend sharrow.

honestlyinsincere
    Participant

Although most of the bike lane on Summit is painted, there is still debris and orange barrels in the lane, and the queue boxes have yet to be installed. Even when the bike lane is open, cyclists will still have the 100% legal option of occupying an entire lane of traffic on Summit. City streets are not the exclusive domain of personal automobiles.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

I think the bigger FU was that in spite of the new bike lanes marked down the left-hand side of Summit, traffic in the far right-hand lane of traffic was slowed down this morning behind a biker using a pretend sharrow.

Yeah it cuts both ways. The rules help but at some point, someone has to enforce the rules in place. Bikers constantly blow past stop signs and red lights and hog lanes not meant for bikes. Someone needs to crack down on that.

On the flip side, drivers constantly speed into their turns which is extremely dangerous to pedestrians. They not only blow past crosswalks, they speed past them. And too many are defensive about sharing roads with bikes even when bikes follow the rules.

Behavior definitely needs to change on both ends. More importantly, despite how often it happens, I’ve never seen anyone punished for it.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

…hog lanes not meant for bikes.

Sharrows or not, bikes are vehicles and can use any vehicular travel lane.

http://cyclingsavvy.org/hows-my-driving/

rory
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>dalias wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CB_downtowner wrote:</div>
    …hog lanes not meant for bikes.

Sharrows or not, bikes are vehicles and can use any vehicular travel lane.

http://cyclingsavvy.org/hows-my-driving/

We ought to move to signs that point out that bikes are vehicles too. I think the sharrow signs just promote confusion.

dalias
    dalias
    Participant

Yes, you can legally say FU. Congratulations on exercising that right. Cars also do not yet legally have to give bikes a 3-foot wide berth, but I am sure everyone is glad when they do not say FU and pass at a closer, still legal in Ohio distance.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

I meant it was ODOT planners saying FU to old traffic design habits, not bikers flipping off cars. I guess I’ll choose my titles more carefully in the future.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 145 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: