Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bike Lanes in the Hilltop but none on High St?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Bike Lanes in the Hilltop but none on High St?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 267 total)
  • Author

Matthew
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

Matthew wrote >>
    Yes, Liability insurance to those private property owners being offered by Josh Sikich as parking alternatives. These are private properties. Is this a case of future imminent domain?

Understand now. I was confused by what you were actually referring too. I think the main parking solution, offered by Josh and the mobility plan, is this:

…striping parallel parking on one side and bike lanes on both sides of the road in the Hilltop commercial area

and seen in the links above. It seems off street is only a secondary consideration at this point.

I’m not opposed to a bike lane on the hilltop, just not up Broad st.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

And I may be wrong in this assumption, but looking at the google map of the Hilltop Area on W. Broad, are those lots are owned by many of the businesses people would be patronizing in the first place? At least that is the way I look at it on the map. Just like parts of downtown and the SN were some businesses have their own or a shared lot and others simply rely on on street parking.

ETA

I think you and I probably agree on this, in terms of a bike lane on Broad. I’m just trying to get a better understanding of how things are actually set up.

sik

Outreach to businesses is ongoing in conjunction with the Hilltop Business Association. The City of Columbus has not made any decisions regarding the consultant’s recommendation, and the study team is still collecting comments (including those made here by people who live, work, or travel through the Hilltop). It is possible that next year’s resurfacing project will repave the existing striping as is, if that is what the community wants.

A review of area parking capacity between Harris Ave and Clarendon Ave reveals that the overwhelming majority of parking spaces are located in off-street parking lots that are currently underutilized. Community or business groups could facilitate shared parking agreements, because different facilities have different parking demand depending on time of day and day of week. For example, churches and businesses could potentially share parking because their demand does not often overlap. Increased signage can be used to guide customers to off-street parking lots, as is done in other successful central Ohio business districts.

Matthew
    Participant

^^^ And that is the root of my frustration Josh. It is all or nothing with this plan. Why won’t you people compromise? We all have the same goals, but this plan clearly wasn’t laid out architecturally with neighborhood input. I live East of Hague, and I’d sincerely love to take part in shaping a solution to the problem that satisfies everyone.

kathyhoke

Matthew wrote >>
    ^^^ And that is the root of my frustration Josh. It is all or nothing with this plan. Why won’t you people compromise? We all have the same goals, but this plan clearly wasn’t laid out architecturally with neighborhood input. I live East of Hague, and I’d sincerely love to take part in shaping a solution to the problem that satisfies everyone.

Matthew, as a member of the steering committee for the Hilltop Community Mobility Plan, I see the proposal (bike lanes in both directions, full-time parking on the south side of Broad, reduced traffic lanes) as a balanced response to the public input received through October 2009 — and a compromise from an earlier alternative nixed by ODOT. That plan would have allowed some full-time permanent parking on both sides of Broad, but not in front of every building. Traffic lanes and bike lanes would not have run in straight lines, providing a possible traffic calming effect. ODOT said it could not restripe this way. ODOT is paying 80 percent of the bill, so the city’s consultant recommended a new proposal that ODOT could live with. This happened in early November.

However, the overall planning process was open and inviting, and some of the Highland West neighborhood leaders and activists participated and attended meetings. I’m sorry you missed out on an earlier opportunity to participate, and am glad you are weighing in now.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Did the committee look at ways to promote education and awareness as a part of the mobility plan?

sik

The City recognizes that education is an important component throughout implementation of the Bicentennial Bikeways Plan. Ongoing education will continue to be a part of bicycle infrastructure improvements.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

sik wrote >>
    The City recognizes that education is an important component throughout implementation of the Bicentennial Bikeways Plan. Ongoing education will continue to be a part of bicycle infrastructure improvements.

I’m wondering specifically for the Hilltop. So far the city hasn’t done much on the education front. Was there consideration or discussion (or will there be?) with local Hilltop organizations and businesses to work on the awareness and education components instead of the constant deference to the Bikeways Plan?

Why are people who don’t know how to ride on the road the ones deciding for people who do and know the safest way to go about it? Reasons for no bike lanes: Right hooks, being in drivers blind spots, cars driving on the lane, cars parking in the lane, lower visibility when next to cars, being in the door zone, snow gets plowed here (yes, some of us do ride in the winter), furthers motorist self entitlement to the road, etc, etc, etc.

I’ve ridden on Broad, both east and west. Each time I used the right hand lane like any other vehicle, just like I always do as is also recommended by LAB (League of American Bicyclists) instructors as the safest way to ride. If you’re riding outside of rush hour it’s a ghost town, especially W Broad. Drivers pass on the left and it’s no problem. If someone is so scared to ride on the road that they need bike lanes, then how in the world are they ever going to change lanes in order to make a left turn?

If anything is needed aside from signage and sharrows it is more traffic lights and narrowed lanes near I-70. W Broad functions like a highway feeder with few lights encouraging non-stop traffic and provides few places for pedestrians to cross. Get a helmet, get a mirror, and get some lights for night time riding. If anyone wants to be shown how it’s done I will for a reasonable fee, and I’ll do a free demonstration to show that bike lanes need to be removed from the Hilltop plan.

kathyhoke

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

sik wrote >>

I’m wondering specifically for the Hilltop. So far the city hasn’t done much on the education front. Was there consideration or discussion (or will there be?) with local Hilltop organizations and businesses to work on the awareness and education components instead of the constant deference to the Bikeways Plan?

We have several bicycling leaders on the Hilltop – people who lead group rides, encourage bike commuting and are active in Consider Biking and Columbus Outdoor Pursuits, among other groups. I count myself among them. We have a lot of work to do, no question, but we have a good starting point for more collaboration.

Coley

There are some really good points being brought up both for and against the bike lanes. I think what needs the most attention is slowing the traffic down- especially around high volume times. Whatever decision is made I hope it’s made with consideration of business owners current and future as well as the community who lives in the area. We have to live with it everyday no matter how it goes.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

I don’t know the west side well enough to comment specifically on some of these issues. I would love to meet up with some of the Highland West/Hilltop leaders and get a better sense of things, especially related to cycling.

adrock

every lane is a bike lane isnt’ it?

Metroman10

900 people polled is totaly incorect and there are several thousand people that live in Highland West that were not polled.
    Today was the frist that any of the business owners in tha area that heard of this. I have lived in Highland West for 26 years and I did not hear anything about this until last Thursday.
    With the speed of the traffic and the glaring sun in the morning and after noon is an accident waiting to happen.
    There is an overlay plan that was done for the business distict 2 years ago and the mobility plan will not work with the overlay. The overlay will make the area a better place to work and play and need to be funded as soon as possible.
    So as for Josh and Kathy they are not for making Highland West a good place to live and play.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Metroman10 wrote >>
    900 people polled is totaly incorect and there are several thousand people that live in Highland West that were not polled.
    Today was the frist that any of the business owners in tha area that heard of this. I have lived in Highland West for 26 years and I did not hear anything about this until last Thursday.
    With the speed of the traffic and the glaring sun in the morning and after noon is an accident waiting to happen.
    There is an overlay plan that was done for the business distict 2 years ago and the mobility plan will not work with the overlay. The overlay will make the area a better place to work and play and need to be funded as soon as possible.
    So as for Josh and Kathy they are not for making Highland West a good place to live and play.

Is there a link to the overlay? Is there a way to work to a compromise between the two?

I think the overall goal of what the Hilltop Mobility Plan is trying to accomplish is good, just seems both sides are talking past each other.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 267 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: