Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bike Lanes in the Hilltop but none on High St?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Bike Lanes in the Hilltop but none on High St?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 256 through 267 (of 267 total)
  • Author

Twixlen
    Participant

I drive that stretch of W Broad every work day. I can’t imagine someone on a bike risking that bike lane – it’s pretty ill conceived.

As misskitty said, there are still a lot of people who don’t want to ride in the single (slower – though usually rolling at the posted) speed lane going east, who dart out into that parking/bike lane to pass a row of cars. It’ll happen several times during the 8 minutes I’m rolling through that area – I imagine it’s happening all day, every day. I never see cops pull folks over on the westside for anything but the biggest traffic offenses – generally, they are too damn busy, on their way to another call.

I don’t know what we do about education – it’s as though there is zero traffic-rules-if-not-in-a-car education being handed out. I am honestly amazed that more folks aren’t injured or killed (like the poor fella on Hague), considering how many times I’ve seen people riding against traffic up the hill, or willy-nilly crossing both on foot & bike.

Maybe big signs saying WALK AGAINST, BIKE WITH … I dunno. They offenders probably wouldn’t get it.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

Bringing up the details of these glitches is a part of improving this work-in- progress. It’s not a reason to stop trying.

Bike lanes and sharrows and signage, along with enforcement and education are part of the process of making non-fossil-fuel-intensive transportation more viable.

“Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good” is a saying that may apply here.

Via past CU posts, I swerved from skepticism into cynicism concerning bike lanes. It now seems I was wrong.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

TomOver said:
    Bringing up the details of these glitches is a part of improving this work-in- progress. It’s not a reason to stop trying.

Bike lanes and sharrows and signage, along with enforcement and education are part of the process of making non-fossil-fuel-intensive transportation more viable.

“Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good” is a saying that may apply here.

Via past CU posts, I swerved from skepticism into cynicism concerning bike lanes. It now seems I was wrong.

Don’t know why I didn’t see this before but where there is the possibility of serious conflict, injury and even death it better be damn near perfect. I mean the whole reason this was championed was to make W. Broad “safer” and more accessible. Yet drivers and cyclists are both finding issues of serious concern in the design and implementation of these lanes.

Misskitty and Twixlen, I see a lot of the same issues when I head out for work or to run errands. Usually see at least one driver a week use the bike lane for a personal drive lane either out of ignorance or laziness.

Alexs, that is just awesome!

misskitty
    Participant

While is obvious that it’s going to take quite a while for the drivers and bikers to understand just how bike lanes work on West Broad it’s getting a little better. I have hope :)

But to add a super plus to this has anyone seen the bike lanes on Harper/McKinley Yet? They even installed a traffic signal for bicyclist to cross McKinley It’s so exciting I can’t wait to use the path when it’s done.

I heard someone talking the other day about toying with the idea of adding shopping cart decals to the bike lanes on Harper. I discouraged them from doing this but it’s would have been pretty funny for a day.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

I’ll have to check those out.

Twixlen
    Participant

Yup – the Harper/McKinley route is really looking good to get to the new bridge. I’m itching for the rest of that path to be complete – what an amazing thing that will be for Westsiders.

I still do see folks travelling in the parking/non-travel lane – the most disheartening is when I see a COTA bus simply troll along, like it’s a personal use lane for them.

I also see a lot more folks on bikes, in the bike lane these days. And I’m seeing a lot more people on McKinley in bikes – not homeless dudes that stole the bike, but commuters. It’s been great to see.

Misskitty – the shopping cart logo would be hilarious. Not that I condone it, but damn. That really would be funny. Sidenote: I’m not seeing nearly as many folks with carts loaded with scrap around there these days. I don’t know if having the main big camp gone (ousted due to the new bridge) or if it’s just been too hot or if the scrap yard is cracking down is making the impact.

Last week I saw three younger folks, with a cart, and a nice, bright green patio umbrella jammed into the cart, shading all of them as they trooped down Valleyview.

misskitty
    Participant

Misskitty – the shopping cart logo would be hilarious. Not that I condone it, but damn. That really would be funny. Sidenote: I’m not seeing nearly as many folks with carts loaded with scrap around there these days. I don’t know if having the main big camp gone (ousted due to the new bridge) or if it’s just been too hot or if the scrap yard is cracking down is making the impact.

I have seen less people as well and I asked my neighbor down the way about it because he scraps daily and I was wondering if someone was riding their ass. But he said they were spreading out to find more stuff worth the work. He also said that he gets a better rate than JR gives and it’s just a little further in the other direction and it’s been hot as hell. LOL

Last week I saw three younger folks, with a cart, and a nice, bright green patio umbrella jammed into the cart, shading all of them as they trooped down Valleyview.

OMG you saw that too? I did as well did you see the tires on the cart? They totally upgraded the shopping cart tires to all terrain tires.

Twixlen
    Participant

I totally missed that they’d upgraded the shopping cart’s tires!! Omg. I knew they’d had to have modified the umbrella, as sturdy as it was in that cart. They made quite a sight.

misskitty
    Participant

Question for my neighbors who also take the double agent back way into downtown.
    I have noticed since they re-did Harper that when you drive on the road it makes a noise under your tires the faster you go the louder it gets. Has anyone else noticed this? I took my little man on a bike ride down that way and I noticed that it is very easy to hear cars coming up behind you because of the ridge in the road.
    So my question is this
    Did they purposely do this to Harper Rd. for a reason or is it one of the best mistakes in paving ever? I mean if it really was a mistake it was a good one to make.

News
    Participant

An intimate ride on the Hilltop bike lanes
    October 29, 2012 by jmathews5

For a couple years now, I continue to reinforce to our city engineers that when bicycle infrastructure is designed, they need to keep in mind – women and children. If you design a street with women and children in mind, they will ride it and so will everyone else. If you do not, then the street needs to be redone until this can happen. City streets are viewed as ‘safe’ when you have families, women, and children safely riding in them – with big smiles on their faces.

My first intimate ride was the Hilltop Bike Lanes. I ride these all the time b/c my schools are located in the Frankliton and Hilltop area.

READ MORE: http://cbuscyclechic.wordpress.com/2012/10/29/an-intimate-ride-on-the-hilltop-bike-lanes/

johnwirtz
    Participant

For a couple years now, I continue to reinforce to our city engineers that when bicycle infrastructure is designed, they need to keep in mind – women and children. If you design a street with women and children in mind, they will ride it and so will everyone else. If you do not, then the street needs to be redone until this can happen. City streets are viewed as ‘safe’ when you have families, women, and children safely riding in them – with big smiles on their faces.

Well said.

Viewing 12 posts - 256 through 267 (of 267 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: