Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bike Lanes in the Hilltop but none on High St?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Bike Lanes in the Hilltop but none on High St?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 267 total)
  • Author

misskitty
    Participant

The bike lanes on West Broad have arrived ride at your own risk.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Bike Lanes arrive on Hilltop!
    Oct 25th, 2010 | By Jeff Stephens

Bike lanes have appeared on West Broad Street through the Hilltop. The resurfacing project extends between Stevens Ave (just east of the I-70 Interchange)…through the interchange, and through the core of the Hilltop old business district, to Hague Ave.

READ MORE: http://www.considerbiking.org/bike-lanes-arrive-on-hilltop/

Ricolla

As a resident I have to say these lanes do look pretty spiffy. I’m glad Jeff has seen some people using the bike lanes as I haven’t. From what I have seen people are still using the sidewalks to ride their bikes, although these are mostly of the BMX variety.

As for the absence of parked cars on W. Broad, the city installed parking meters through the Highland West corridor. I’m not too upset about it as it frees up the road and makes it look cleaner.

I hope this face lift does lead to better things as far as businesses along W. Broad.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Ricolla wrote >>
    As a resident I have to say these lanes do look pretty spiffy. I’m glad Jeff has seen some people using the bike lanes as I haven’t. From what I have seen people are still using the sidewalks to ride their bikes, although these are mostly of the BMX variety.
    As for the absence of parked cars on W. Broad, the city installed parking meters through the Highland West corridor. I’m not too upset about it as it frees up the road and makes it look cleaner.
    I hope this face lift does lead to better things as far as businesses along W. Broad.

It’ll be interesting to see the long term effects of these over time, as I believe they are some of the more intense bike lanes in the city. Interested to see any impact (good or bad) on businesses and most importantly on the improved (or unimproved) safety.

I also find it amazing that those who pushed so hard to ram these through are now, apparently, billing themselves as the voice of compromise on this project.

Matthew
    Participant

@ Lo2w this is nothing new on the hilltop. Back when the health center opened the keynote speakers who praised themselves for saving the historic structure were literally the same individuals who previously pushed for the demolition of the firehouse. The best part of Jeff’s article to me is that he looked at the lease and sale signs. Let’s see if he puts his money where his mouth is.

johnwirtz
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    It’ll be interesting to see the long term effects of these over time, as I believe they are some of the more intense bike lanes in the city. Interested to see any impact (good or bad) on businesses…

It could be hard to separate out the effects of the bike lane from the parking changes.

kathyhoke

I think the City’s compromise solution is working out decently well. Motor vehicle traffic has slowed, but still flows about the way you’d expect in a densely developed urban area. Bikes have a well marked place to travel and plenty of space when heading west through the business district in the section that has no marked lane. And, pedestrians can walk, most of the time, without having a 50 mph car moving next to them in the curb lane. The people who parked on street all day during business hours are finding other places to park. The former 6-lane highway was a factor in the decline of the business district. The (nearly?) complete street we now have is not the whole answer, but it’s part of the solution.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Amazing what happens when you incorporate all road users in a solution that meets the majority of needs, respects the neighbors and their desires and promotes the business core.

ajwitt

It’s too bad that many of the drivers that use this road don’t know how to drive on them. I thought once the pictures of bicycles were painted in the lane that it would be easier to understand. However, every day this week, while driving to work, I saw a car driving in the bicycle lane and the parking lane. Is it really that hard to understand?

Matthew
    Participant

ajwitt wrote >>
    It’s too bad that many of the drivers that use this road don’t know how to drive on them. I thought once the pictures of bicycles were painted in the lane that it would be easier to understand. However, every day this week, while driving to work, I saw a car driving in the bicycle lane and the parking lane. Is it really that hard to understand?

It is definitely an opportunity for the police to write some tickets which seems to take priority over 911 calls as of late.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

ajwitt wrote >>

I too saw people blatantly disregarding the bike lanes when I went through there today. The middle of the road bike lanes may not be the best idea. It works better once you get further east and the lane moves to the outside.

cc

I had to cut to the curb to avoid death this morning. I think they need to start ticketing before this becomes a joke.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

cc wrote >>
    I had to cut to the curb to avoid death this morning. I think they need to start ticketing before this becomes a joke.

Exactly the reason why I never bought into the arguments that bike lanes solve all. Without the education and outreach necessary to help drivers and cyclists use these new pieces of infrastructure , these will probably be a disaster.

misskitty
    Participant

So being a west sider has allowed me to watch the bike lanes in action. Besides the fact that a lot of people are still riding diagonally across broad on their bikes and going the wrong way in traffic still and not using the new bikes lanes…..
    I saw an cop driving in a row of traffic today in the bike lane. No his sirens were not on he was in no hurry. Lets see how this turns out I mean if the authorities don’t get it how can we expect the Nascar drivers of the West side to get it?

kessler
    Participant

I usually take Sullivant vs Broad these days. However I had to go to ODOT on Broad to get my car all legal again as I’ve been living carfree (well I just parked it in the garage) and riding my bike since Feb.
    This was the first time I’ve been able to check out the new bike lanes.
    I’m not a big fan, personally I’d prefer sharrows but anything that brings attention to cyclists legal rights are a plus.

I felt the bike lane was a tad to tight in places riding in the door zone of the parked cars. No room for error if you needed to swerve etc as the left side of the lane was against the travel lane. seems the bike lane was also in line with the manhole covers.

Next are the bikers vs. the cyclists. How can we as cyclists/motorists/pedestrians get the word out to these bikers who don’t know what the cycling laws and safety issues are? Police need to be cracking down more on bikers running red lights, no lights after dark etc. As the biker who got hit and died on Hague was riding on the correct side however no lights etc at 1am (who had priorly been cited for no lights). I’ve witnessed at least 3 times where police had a bike rider pulled over for no lights over the past 3 years.
    anyway,
    So sad to hear but so many bikers just don’t know or just don’t care.
    okay i’m done just sharing
    have a good day

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 267 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: