Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bicycling's Top 50 - Columbus is 34

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Bicycling’s Top 50 – Columbus is 34

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Cole
    Participant

bucki12 said:
    Those are north/south streets and I am headed east/west over the river.

I like 3rd Avenue but that might be out of the way if you’re taking King. Speaking of King, there will be bike lanes on King Avenue soon:

http://publicservice.columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Public_Service/Transportation/Mobility/Bike_Committee/Meeting%20Notes%20-%2003-28-12.pdf

King Avenue Bike Lanes – Olentangy River Road to Grandview Avenue

bucki12

That is really good news! Thanks Cole

Cole said:
    I like 3rd Avenue but that might be out of the way if you’re taking King. Speaking of King, there will be bike lanes on King Avenue soon:

http://publicservice.columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Public_Service/Transportation/Mobility/Bike_Committee/Meeting%20Notes%20-%2003-28-12.pdf

King Avenue Bike Lanes – Olentangy River Road to Grandview Avenue

swinzo1010
    Participant

How will the street parking on King work with the bike lanes? The area I am thinking of is west of Olentangy River Rd until Grandview Avenue. I know there is street parking around the King/Northwest Blvd. Intersection.

swinzo1010
    Participant

Nevermind, I found my answer

King Ave Bike Lanes[/url]

Analogue Kid
    Participant

swinzo1010 said:

This is excellent news, glad to see it.

leftovers

I think 40 more years have just been added to my lifespan. I wish they would continue these to High St.

swinzo1010 said:

columbusmike
    Participant

Wow, I had no idea they were doing this! This is great! I hope they add a few of those standing reflectors along the road just to create a visual barrier for cars driving up and down the street. This is a perfect road for a bike lane…and especially for my commute :)

byJody
    Participant

The new top 50 Bike Cities list is out and Columbus is not on it. I don’t understand how we can go from and up-and-coming bike city in 2008 to not even making the top 50 bike friendly cities 4 years later! Not one Ohio city is on the new list, where Columbus and Cleveland were both listed in 2010. And Cincinnati just received bike friendly bronze status from the League of American Bicyclists a month ago and Columbus has had it since 2009. Seems like at least one of the 3 Cs should be on that list.

2008: 5 For the Future
    Boston, Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, Columbus & Fargo-Moorehead

2010: Bike Friendly Cities: America’s Best Bike Cities
    Bicycling’s Top 50
    #34 Columbus

2012: America’s Top 50 Bike-Friendly Cities
    None from Ohio
    http://www.bicycling.com/news/advocacy/america-s-top-50-bike-friendly-cities

I am so bummed but don’t even know how to proceed. I know our city is making improvements, why aren’t they reflected in the standings? I am frustrated and confused. I feel like we need to launch a statewide campaign “Ohio likes Bikes” – it just seems like we got completely overlooked in this ranking. Not that this list is the only measurement that counts, but we should not have regressed so much in 2 years that we fell off the list.

mrpoppinzs

That is a surprise. They have been painting sharrows, bike lanes, Cota bike carriers and adding to the trail system. This appears to be happening all over the country so this list is probably getting more competitive, which is good for the country. I visited Minneapolis recently and I was struck by how much more of a biking culture existed there. It is always good to set the bar higher.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

byJody said:
    I am so bummed but don’t even know how to proceed.

Does this list make your own personal bike riding experience more or less enjoyable?

If not, I’d say just keep riding then and enjoy it.

If so, I’d say stop putting so much stock in these types of lists. ;)

byJody
    Participant

Walker said:
    Does this list make your own personal bike riding experience more or less enjoyable?

If not, I’d say just keep riding then and enjoy it.

If so, I’d say stop putting so much stock in these types of lists. ;)

Walker you are kind. It is more frustration in my role as a Bike Advocate. I feel like our efforts are not showing up in measurements like Bike Counts and the American Community Survey (which unfortunately has a poorly worded question about primary transportation, so even if ppl use a bike sometimes it does not count).

I do feel the city is getting better for bikes and there is progress on 4 of the 5 Es (Engineering, Education, Encouragement, Enforcement) but not doing well on Evaluation. Unfortunately a lot of that work comes from MORPC, ODOT and the individual municipalities and those are harder for us to influence.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Totally understandable. Even if you brush off these results on a personal level, there are plenty of other people around the country paying attention to them, so they do count as good marketing tools regardless of how reputable their surveys are, or what type of metrics they use.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

mrpoppinzs said:
    That is a surprise. They have been painting sharrows, bike lanes, Cota bike carriers and adding to the trail system. This appears to be happening all over the country so this list is probably getting more competitive, which is good for the country. I visited Minneapolis recently and I was struck by how much more of a biking culture existed there. It is always good to set the bar higher.

I think the bike renaissance plays into it. It’s not enough for Columbus to do C when other cities have already done C (10-15 years ago) and are now doing HIJK. Columbus needs to play to it’s strength and innovate around what already makes it great. The tools and resources are there if we weren’t so committed to rigidly rolling out every piece of the Bicentennial Bikeways Plan.

KyleEzell

We’re not on the list because we have inferior bicycle infrastructure. Sharrows are not infrastructure. The bike path system doesn’t connect. We simply don’t deserve to be on this list… yet.

leftovers

KyleEzell said:
    Sharrows are not infrastructure.

I have to agree with that.

I think we are headed in the right direction, but it is good to measure progress with other cities.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: