Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bicycling's Top 50 - Columbus is 34

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Bicycling’s Top 50 – Columbus is 34

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

byJody
    Participant

34 is decent, but room for improvement. I wonder where we ranked in past years?

=======

Bicycling’s Top 50

There are many unspectacular but important things a city can do to gain our consideration for this list. Maybe you’ve heard of them, or maybe—given the pace of change these days—you’ve already begun to enjoy them: segregated bike lanes, municipal bike racks and bike boulevards, to name a few. If you have those things in your town, cyclists probably have the ear of the local government—another key factor. To make our Top 50, a city must also support a vibrant and diverse bike culture. It must have smart, savvy bike shops. A few notes: We considered only cities with populations of 100,000 or more. We strove for geographical diversity, to avoid having a list dominated by California’s many bike-oriented cities. If your town isn’t named below—or if it falls on our worst-cities list—then use this as an opportunity to do something about it, like cyclists in Miami did after their city earned a black mark in 2008. And if your city is one of the 50 lauded below? Go out and enjoy a ride.

1 Minneapolis 26 Boston

2 Portland, OR 27 Philadelphia

3 Boulder, CO 28 Pittsburgh

4 Seattle 29 Charleston, SC

5 Eugene, OR 30 Arlington, VA

6 San Francisco 31 Sioux Falls, SD

7 Madison, WI 32 Boise, ID

8 New York City 33 Kansas City, MO

9 Tucson, AZ 34 Columbus, OH

10 Chicago 35 Tulsa, OK

11 Austin, TX 36 Grand Rapids, MI

12 Denver 37 Billings, MT

13 Washington, DC 38 St. Louis

14 Ann Arbor, MI 39 Cleveland

15 Phoenix/Tempe, AZ 40 Greensboro, NC

16 Gainesville, FL 41 Lexington/Fayette, KY

17 Albuquerque, NM 42 Omaha, NE

18 Colorado Springs, CO 43 Salt Lake City

19 Salem, OR 44 Miami

20 Scottsdale, AZ 45 Indianapolis

21 Louisville, KY 46 Fargo, ND

22 Chattanooga, TN 47 Anchorage, AK

23 Long Beach, CA 48 Baltimore

24 Cary, NC 49 Little Rock, AR

25 Milwaukee 50 Rochester, NY

To prepare this list, we referenced the Bicycling and Walking in the United States 2010 Benchmarking Report, prepared by the Alliance for Biking and Walking; the League of American Bicyclists’ Bicycle Friendly America project; data from Mediamark Research, Inc., Dun & Bradstreet and The Nielsen Company; and interviews with national and local advocates, bike shops and other experts.

Source: http://www.bicycling.com/news/featured-stories/bicyclings-top-50

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Link to the Columbus blurb

Columbus celebrates Bike Month city-wide, and has a corporate challenge to see which company can get the most employees to bike-commute. In 2009, the city launched an aggressive 20-year bike plan.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

100_4715

During a May Day gathering in Bryant Park, Bill Buchanan said NYC is one of the safest places to cycle because most of the drivers there are professionals.

leftovers

Seems to be a decent showing. That said, I was almost smashed by a truck biking on King Avenue today. They gave me about an inch of clearance. One wobble and it would have been over.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

I feel as people in Columbus hate people who ride in the same lane as them. I really think we should push for bike lanes on major roads. We need some actual good lanes and not just a painted line thats about 3 feet wide.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

leftovers said:
    Seems to be a decent showing. That said, I was almost smashed by a truck biking on King Avenue today. They gave me about an inch of clearance. One wobble and it would have been over.

I’m not judging other cyclists but it seems I can attribute about half of my close calls to my own mistakes such as yesterday when I assumed a westbound motorist was turning southbound at the King and High intersection. He or she was going straight as I almost turned left into the path of the car.

But anyway, such close calls on rare for me. I don’t attribute it to me having extraordinary ability. My guess is that the four plump panniers–two in front and two in back—make my bike more visible to motorists. When I cycle with a trailer in tow, motorists seem to give me even more room.

“How’s the baby doing back there?” I told the person asking me this last spring, “No, baby, just 200 lbs of pig shit for my garden.” This spring I’ll more closely approximate veganic gardening, if I manage my own garden at all. Might just opt for helping folk with theirs.

leftovers

I have seen the ‘trailer effect’ in action and agree that it is given a wide birth. I think that in general most drivers feel that if they run over a child trailer their insurance rates would be going up…

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I just found out that OSU had no planners involved with the Woodruff “street diet” on campus. This would explain the lack of dedicated bike lanes when their is clearly enough room for bike lanes on both sides of the road. What a waste of an opportunity. I cannot even begin to understand why whoever decided against including bike lanes. Sometimes there are good excuses for the exlusion of certain design elements in projects. In this case, there is NO EXCUSE.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    I just found out that OSU had no planners involved with the Woodruff “street diet” on campus. This would explain the lack of dedicated bike lanes when their is clearly enough room for bike lanes on both sides of the road. What a waste of an opportunity. I cannot even begin to understand why whoever decided against including bike lanes. Sometimes there are good excuses for the exlusion of certain design elements in projects. In this case, there is NO EXCUSE.

So, what do we do ?

NerosNeptune
    Participant

jpizzow said:

Maybe they wanted to make the parking lots a more attractive investment. Can’t go gumming those plans up with pesky bike lanes.

The only safe feeling route for a student to take riding their bike from main campus over to the arena to see a basketball game is the sidewalk. Not that they would find a decent bike rack when they get there anyway.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

^Olentangy Trail?

bucki12

leftovers said:

I often bike commute using King or Fifth and there is definitely wild west activity from some traffic. As close as it is the OSU, I would think it would be more bike friendly.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

bucki12 said:
    I often bike commute using King or Fifth and there is definitely wild west activity from some traffic. As close as it is the OSU, I would think it would be more bike friendly.

Jog a few blocks east/west and you have Hunter/Dennison/Michigan/Pennsylvania. If Columbus really wants to kick in and ante up, we need to stop the bull shit PR stunts and focus on what our strengths are. In the core area, where the highest concentration of bikes are you have excellent roads that are perfect for cycling. Quit spending the money to stripe a road so Mayor Mike can look good at the unveil and use the infrastructure we have in place.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

bucki12

lifeontwowheels said:
    Jog a few blocks east/west and you have Hunter/Dennison/Michigan/Pennsylvania.

Those are north/south streets and I am headed east/west over the river.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: