Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bicycle licenses or permits - are they required in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Bicycle licenses or permits – are they required in Columbus

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)
  • Author

cc

the city (local authority) prohibits it for adults…

10sun

That is the Ohio Revised Code.

City of Columbus prohibits riding bicycles on sidewalks.

http://search.municode.com/html/16219/level2/T21_C2173.html#T21_C2173_2173.10

(Ord. 1579-72; Ord. 2120-03 § 1 (part); Ord. 0950-2008 § 1 (part).)

2173.10 – Riding bicycles on sidewalks.

(a)
    No person shall operate a bicycle upon a sidewalk, except for children’s non-motorized vehicles as defined in section 2173.015 (A)(2), and at locations that the Columbus city council designates as bikeways or shared-use paths.

(b)
    Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

kitty

I wish this was enforced. I was hit by a homeless guy on a bike on Saturday while walking back to the Short North after the football game. He rammed the handlebars of his bike into my arm because I wouldn’t get out of his way. I didn’t even know he was behind me!

10sun wrote >>
    That is the Ohio Revised Code.
    City of Columbus prohibits riding bicycles on sidewalks.
    http://search.municode.com/html/16219/level2/T21_C2173.html#T21_C2173_2173.10
    (Ord. 1579-72; Ord. 2120-03 § 1 (part); Ord. 0950-2008 § 1 (part).)
    2173.10 – Riding bicycles on sidewalks.
    (a)
    No person shall operate a bicycle upon a sidewalk, except for children’s non-motorized vehicles as defined in section 2173.015 (A)(2), and at locations that the Columbus city council designates as bikeways or shared-use paths.
    (b)

Anonymous
    Inactive

meigsNkegs wrote >>
    Unless I am reading it wrong the Chapter 4511, TRAFFIC LAWS – OPERATION OF MOTOR VEHICLES States:
    4511.711 Driving On a Sidewalk – Bicycles are the only vehicles allowed on sidewalks: local authorities may prohibit but not require bicycle riding on sidewalks. (See also 4511.07 and 4511.431.)
    Law affected by the Better Bicycling in Ohio Act of September, 2006.

Somebody doesn’t want to share the road…
    I don’t think he is THE Mr. Will Risdon of New Albany who wants bicyclists to get off his lawn! (with their dang Spandex shorts and yellow jerseys)

alove
    alove
    Participant

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bicycle cop on the road.

Do you know what would solve all our problems? Bike lanes separated from the sidewalk and road.

roy
    Participant

byJody wrote >>
    Has anyone ever seen bicycle officers riding on the sidewalk? I have.
    However, I do it myself on occasion. I guess I don’t see much difference in riding my Cruiser bike, razor scooter or rollerblades. On all those modes, I am going pretty slow and if it’s OK for a 10 year old, I think it should be OK for slow moving adult riders too.
    I wish the rule was set by speed limit instead of by age.

It’s not ok for bicycles to occupy pedestrian space any more than it’s ok for pedestrians to walk in designated bike lanes. If you’re moving slow anyway, walk your bike along the sidewalk.

Sworn police officers on duty can ride their bikes anywhere they please.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

alove wrote >>
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bicycle cop on the road.
    Do you know what would solve all our problems? Bike lanes separated from the sidewalk and road.

Bike lanes can be part of an overall solution but they are often poorly executed. The focus tends to be more on some stellar photo op to show how progressive/green/buzz word of the day a city is vs. creating lasting change that would make cycling a much more effective and safe option to a greater population.

Cookie

alove wrote >>

We used to have these on High Street. They were always filled with garbage.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>

alove wrote >>

We used to have these on High Street. They were always filled with garbage.

Hah, true. I remember those. When did they pull those out? Mid 80s?

I’m OK with separated usage, but I highly doubt that it will “solve all our problems”.

byJody
    Participant

Last week I was locking my bike by the Ohio Union and a young man came by. “Excuse me, I am a freshman and I brought my bike down to campus and I have a question about where I am supposed to ride?” He said when he rode in the street, a pickup driver yelled at him to ride on the sidewalk!

My answer: “Legally your bicycle is a vehicle and you should be riding in the street. There are times when cyclists do not feel safe riding in the street and they choose to ride on the sidewalk. Although it is technically illegal, it is not enforced”. I said your timing is great and steered him to the table for the Car Free Day with a Street Smarts book and city bike map. I wish I could have answered his question without sounding like we’re the Wild West here. But it kind of is. Many times, when I am riding my bike in the sharrows on High St (Clintonville), I see way more cyclists on the sidewalks than riding in the street. WAY more.

byJody
    Participant

roy wrote >>

byJody wrote >>
    However, I do it myself on occasion. I guess I don’t see much difference in riding my Cruiser bike, razor scooter or rollerblades. On all those modes, I am going pretty slow and if it’s OK for a 10 year old, I think it should be OK for slow moving adult riders too.

It’s not ok for bicycles to occupy pedestrian space any more than it’s ok for pedestrians to walk in designated bike lanes. If you’re moving slow anyway, walk your bike along the sidewalk.

Roy –
    So when I am rollerblading am I a pedestrian? Where is the line?

byJody wrote >>

roy wrote >>

byJody wrote >>

Roy –
    So when I am rollerblading am I a pedestrian? Where is the line?

I’d start here:
    http://library.municode.com/HTML/16219/level2/T21_C2173.html#T21_C2173_2173.10

(a)

(b)

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

without sounding like we’re the Wild West here

We are? Huh, never really realized it. A great place to steer people who have questions about riding is the League of American Bicyclists website which lists available cycling courses in Central Ohio which can help individuals gain greater confidence.

We have 3 courses or lectures coming up in October:

Competent Commuting in Central Ohio
    10/1/2010
    Columbus, OH

Ride Better – Ride Smarter
    10/1/2010
    Columbus, OH

Stimulating cycling presentation
    10/10/2010
    Columbus, OH

Details for 10/10 here[/url]

You can also use the cycling map to point out the available options outside of main arterial roads that provide just as quick of a ride with far less stress.

byJody
    Participant

@lifeontwowheels – Thanks for the links to the education courses, good to know. I apologize that I did not refer this college freshman to these resources. Sounds like I could learn more myself too.

I guess we have a difference of opinion on “the Wild West” descriptor. Maybe I am just looking at it thru my own narrow lens, but when I am riding my bike in the sharrows on High St (Clintonville), I see way more cyclists on the sidewalks than riding in the street. WAY more. To me, that means folks either don’t know they are supposed to ride in the street or they don’t feel safe there.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

byJody wrote >>

@lifeontwowheels
    – Thanks for the links to the education courses, good to know. I apologize that I did not refer this college freshman to these resources. Sounds like I could learn more myself too.
    I guess we have a difference of opinion on “the Wild West” descriptor. Maybe I am just looking at it thru my own narrow lens, but when I am riding my bike in the sharrows on High St (Clintonville), I see way more cyclists on the sidewalks than riding in the street. WAY more. To me, that means folks either don’t know they are supposed to ride in the street or they don’t feel safe there.

I work on E. Broad downtown and see a number on the sidewalk as well, despite perfectly reasonable routes located a minute off Broad that would allow cyclists the ability to ride safely, on the street with little fear of traffic. The problem is the lack of promotion of these available routes. I know cyclists who gave generously of their time to assist in the original publication of the MORPC bike map and had to fight to see alternative routes included outside the main arterials.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: