Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bicycle licenses or permits - are they required in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Bicycle licenses or permits – are they required in Columbus

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)
  • Author

dru
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote

571.05 Failure to display bicycle license.

No person shall ride or operate a bicycle or permit a bicycle to be operated upon any of the streets in the city without a proper registration license decal or plate securely attached to such bicycle, in a position that shall be plainly visible at all times. Whoever violates this section is guilty of failure to display a bicycle license, a minor misdemeanor. (Ord. 2173-74.)

Source[/url] (Won’t link directly. Go to search and type “bicycle license”)

Also –

“….it is hereby written that ducks shall wear long pants….”

http://www.snpp.com/episodes/4F15

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

dru wrote

lifeontwowheels wrote

571.05 Failure to display bicycle license.

No person shall ride or operate a bicycle or permit a bicycle to be operated upon any of the streets in the city without a proper registration license decal or plate securely attached to such bicycle, in a position that shall be plainly visible at all times. Whoever violates this section is guilty of failure to display a bicycle license, a minor misdemeanor. (Ord. 2173-74.)

Source[/url] (Won’t link directly. Go to search and type “bicycle license”)

Also –

“….it is hereby written that ducks shall wear long pants….”

http://www.snpp.com/episodes/4F15

Wonderful episode

Man, people are making it way too hard to do anything these days. It’s the pretentious, liberal arts crowd. How hard should it be just to ride a damn bike? You go to the store, buy one and get on the damn side of the street or the sidewalk–take a bike trail if you need to go somewhere far, there shouldn’t be more to it than that. I’ve been riding bikes for most of my life and have never been in a single accident.

Bikes should not be on any roads where they can’t match the speed limit. Simple as that.

graveyard roses wrote Man, people are making it way too hard to do anything these days. It’s the pretentious, liberal arts crowd. How hard should it be just to ride a damn bike? There people pushing for not allowing sidewalk riding (like people already don’t do it) and people pushing for bike licenses and all this other garbage.

It might be useful to check facts before making assertions.

Bike licenses are a vestige of old laws. No one is pushing for them.

Not allowing vehicles like bicycles on the sidewalk is already part of code and standard procedure most everywhere. Kind of like not allowing cars or motorcycles to drive on the sidewalk either.

A.

You’ve gotta come up with a better sentence than comparing cars and motorcycles on the sidewalks to bikes on the sidewalks.

It simply isn’t enforced often, if at all.

I think many would feel more open to getting on a bike if they had the option to ride of the sidewalk.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

graveyard roses wrote You’ve gotta come up with a better sentence than comparing cars and motorcycles on the sidewalks to bikes on the sidewalks.

It simply isn’t enforced often, if at all.

I think many would feel more open to getting on a bike if they had the option to ride of the sidewalk.

Even better would be Columbus pushing forward with the bikeways plan and adopting Complete Streets so people can ride on the street and the pedestrians can take back the sidewalk.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

graveyard roses wrote I think many would feel more open to getting on a bike if they had the option to ride of the sidewalk.

This is already an option for most people. Very few seem to even realize that bikes don’t belong on the sidewalk. I don’t know if the sidewalk law is really going to change a whole lot in terms of ridership.

AmyArt21
    Participant

I am resurrecting this thread because of a letter to the editor in today’s Dispatch: http://tinyurl.com/366e6lq

While the gentleman who wrote the letter might have a valid point, the tone is so condescending and rude!
    Someone needs to write an equally-snarky rebuttle. :)

Eh, it wasn’t that bad. The guy lives in New Albany*, so it’s expected.

*While not all people there think like that there a good number who do.

EmZeeGee

I thought he sounded like a moron. Unused bike paths? Not the ones I’m on.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Mr. Will Risdon of New Albany wants bicyclists to get off his lawn! (with their dang Spandex shorts and yellow jerseys)

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I’ve been planning to ride my bike more as a way of reducing my personal oil consumption, and today I rode a reasonable distance through downtown versus taking my car. I basically felt pretty safe/comfortable even on the busy streets, and saw many other bikers out.

However, I didn’t realize biking on the sidewalk was illegal –I had thought it was just bad etiquette. I switched to the sidewalk many places where there weren’t pedestrians and the road was very narrow. I think I would have been less sanguine without that option.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m not opposed to the idea bike registration (and training classes that would come with it), but I don’t think it would close any sort of budget gap. Any funding raised from bike registration should go back into bike education and bike infrastructure improvements.

And yeah, the guy who wrote that letter just came off sounding like a grumpy old fart upset that bikes slow him down when he’s IN A HURRY TO GET SOMEWHERE.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

And yeah, the guy who wrote that letter just came off sounding like a grumpy old fart upset that bikes slow him down when he’s IN A HURRY TO GET SOMEWHERE.

Yep. I’m wondering how much green ink he used.

cc

sample of license costs

MADISON, WI – $10 (renewal every four years)
    DAVIS, CA – $8 (renewal every three years)
    SALT LAKE CITY, UT – $2
    MILWAUKEE, WI – Free (one-time registration)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: