Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bicycle licenses or permits - are they required in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Bicycle licenses or permits – are they required in Columbus

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

When I was much younger, I remember getting a bicycle license every year. Now that I am dusting off my old bike and getting it road worthy, I want to make certain I am in full compliance with the law.

Yet, when I check around the City of Columbus website, I can’t find any information about bicycle licenses. Does anyone know the details? Are they required? Where to go to get one? How much they cost?

BrianG

No license or permit is required to ride a bike in Columbus.

A few things to note:

Adults are required to ride in the street. Riding on the sidewalk is illegal.

Bikes are required to follow all traffic laws.

If riding after dark you are legally required to have a front light, rear light and a couple reflectors.

Helmets, while a good idea, are not required for adults.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

571.05 Failure to display bicycle license.

No person shall ride or operate a bicycle or permit a bicycle to be operated upon any of the streets in the city without a proper registration license decal or plate securely attached to such bicycle, in a position that shall be plainly visible at all times. Whoever violates this section is guilty of failure to display a bicycle license, a minor misdemeanor. (Ord. 2173-74.)

Source[/url] (Won’t link directly. Go to search and type “bicycle license”)

So technically yes. Does CPD enforce? Not that I have ever seen, nor does it really matter. I really have never understood the bike license, nor do I see the point.

CaD

Kinda like how I dont see CPD chasing after people as they ignore traffic rules on their bikes either :)

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

CaD wrote Kinda like how I dont see CPD chasing after people as they ignore traffic rules on their bikes either :)

Not to take this too far OT, or renew the pissing match from earlier threads, BUT I would fully support CPD cracking down on illegal cycling. Things like riding the wrong way, blatant disregard of traffic signals and sidewalk cycling.

Then again, CPD does routinely ignore motorists and their violations as well. A lot has to do with an officer being there to witness the crime in progress.

As discussed earlier in other threads, a 2,000 lb. vehicle operating with disregard for traffic laws has far deadlier consequences for a greater number than a 20 lb. vehicle.

Back to the topic at hand…

Matthew
    Participant

The law is the law, lets not try to justify breaking it on the grounds of weight. Either you comply, or you don’t. Period.

CaD

Remind me to find that story where the cyclist in England ran a girl down on the street/sidewalk and she died from hitting her head on the ground.

The cyclist was fined like 2500 pounds…

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

MatthewJR30 wrote The law is the law, lets not try to justify breaking it on the grounds of weight. Either you comply, or you don’t. Period.

I’m not justifying either or, just making a simple point that one has a greater implication than the other. We all have the responsibility to obey the traffic laws, but do we?

CaD, remind me to find the numerous stories where a cyclist was run down and the offender was let off with little more than a slap on the wrist. Easiest way to commit murder and get away with it is to put someone on a bike and simply say “But I didn’t see him”…

As I said, I am in favor of enforcing all traffic laws, by all users and would love to see CPD work a little more to help cyclists understand that, even if it means traffic fines.

Matthew
    Participant

As hard as it is to swallow, sometimes the biggest punishment of all is living with something like that for the rest of one’s life. I wouldn’t want that sentence, and I’m not here to pass judgement. I’m just tired of the argument back and forth about running red lights, and 3 thousand pounds of reckless steel. We all take our own calculated risks each time we hit the road, regardless of vehicle, and these arguments only piss both sides off.

We have all read the stories for both sides, we don’t need them dredged up on here yet again. There are answers to these problems, however CU pissing contests aren’t serving either side well.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

MatthewJR30 wrote As hard as it is to swallow, sometimes the biggest punishment of all is living with something like that for the rest of one’s life. I wouldn’t want that sentence, and I’m not here to pass judgement. I’m just tired of the argument back and forth about running red lights, and 3 thousand pounds of reckless steel. We all take our own calculated risks each time we hit the road, regardless of vehicle, and these arguments only piss both sides off.

We have all read the stories for both sides, we don’t need them dredged up on here yet again. There are answers to these problems, however CU pissing contests aren’t serving either side well.

agreed and the reason I support enforcement of all users.

So does anyone have an answer as to why bicycles in some cities are required to have a license? City revenue? Many of these registration laws seem to have simply been ignored.

brothermarcus
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote So does anyone have an answer as to why bicycles in some cities are required to have a license? City revenue? Many of these registration laws seem to have simply been ignored.

The town I grew up “near” didn’t have a mandated bicycle registration, but you could register your bike with the local pd and they would keep a file with the serial numbers and description of the bike so that information would be available if the bike was missing or found and the police ended up in possession of it… so they could get it back to the owner. You would get a sticker for your bike with a registration number and it was totally voluntary and was offered as a public service/theft deterrent, not for any other reason which I recall.

/edit – should also add that I just remembered it was free of charge and you got a bicycle safety handbook when you registered… this was a while back so I’m not even sure if they do it anymore- or if it was just a youth program because I was a youth when I encountered this.

BrianG

lifeontwowheels wrote

No person shall ride or operate a bicycle or permit a bicycle to be operated upon any of the streets in the city without a proper registration license decal or plate securely attached to such bicycle, in a position that shall be plainly visible at all times. Whoever violates this section is guilty of failure to display a bicycle license, a minor misdemeanor. (Ord. 2173-74.)

So technically yes. Does CPD enforce? Not that I have ever seen, nor does it really matter. I really have never understood the bike license, nor do I see the point.

Sorry for the misinformation. It appears bike licenses are available from Columbus Fire Departments.

That said…I have never seen a new bike license on a bike, though I do see a lot of them from the 70s.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

It’s buried pretty deep in municipal code.

kessler
    Participant

BrianG wrote

lifeontwowheels wrote

Sorry for the misinformation. It appears bike licenses are available from Columbus Fire Departments.

That said…I have never seen a new bike license on a bike, though I do see a lot of them from the 70s.

According to the code 571 which Andrew posted, the one’s from the 70’s maybe valid if they are the original owners when the license was obtained. According to this code when selling or giving a bike away these licenses are to be destroyed and not transferred to owners or to other bikes.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

My bike still has the last license that was on it from back in the 80s. A city of Whitehall license, I think. My brother must have been riding it and registered it there.

I intend to be completely legal. I will get a license. I will wear a helmet. I will ride on the street (I always did in the past; no reason to change now). I will avoid major streets whenever possible; I don’t cherish the idea of becoming a hood ornament on some SUV.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: