Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bicycle Facilities: What do YOU want?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Bicycle Facilities: What do YOU want?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author

JeepGirl
    Participant

Wow, cruising along at a fast pace in the curb lane on a backed up multi lane roadway with multiple driveway entry and exit points, while repeatedly taking your eyes off the road in front, can’t be the brightest move by anyone. Cycle rider or car driver.

At least this guy didn’t become a youtube star with his brilliant decision to run a red light downtown. My husband was testing his new GoPro and while approaching the intersection at State & High happened to see this rider heading North on High. It appeared he had no intention of stopping for his red light. He obviously didn’t. Next time the rider might not be lucky enough to run across an alert driver when he challenges a 6600 pound vehicle to a game of chicken.

Point is, there are dumbshits in cars and on cycles all over the place. Always drive and ride defensively.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Wow, cruising along at a fast pace in the curb lane

You mean the clearly marked bike lane?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

JeepGirl said:
    Wow, cruising along at a fast pace in the curb lane…

That’s a bike lane.

johnwirtz
    Participant

lifeontwowheels said:

Wow, cruising along at a fast pace in the curb lane

You mean the clearly marked bike lane?

A marked lane doesn’t mean the driver of the turning car can see through the stopped cars. Bike lanes aren’t supposed to indemnify you from thinking about how to ride safely.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

johnwirtz said:
    A marked lane doesn’t mean the driver of the turning car can see through the stopped cars. Bike lanes aren’t supposed to indemnify you from thinking about how to ride safely.

Thank you, John, for illustrating my point. I saw this video this morning while looking for some bike info on another forum and thought of all the times I’ve heard “if only we had bike lanes…” on CU. Thought I’d share.

That, of course, doesn’t mean taking the lane all the time is any safer. It is just one video. And you’re right, depending on the conditions it’s on the individual to ride/drive/walk appropriately with due caution.

ETA

To play the other side, if that was say a right turn only lane approaching an intersection and it was a car on car, do we give the turning driver a pass? Just food for thought as we discuss infrastructure.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Double Tap

johnwirtz
    Participant

lifeontwowheels said:
    Thank you, John, for illustrating my point. I saw this video this morning while looking for some bike info on another forum and thought of all the times I’ve heard “if only we had bike lanes…” on CU. Thought I’d share.

That, of course, doesn’t mean taking the lane all the time is any safer. It is just one video. And you’re right, depending on the conditions it’s on the individual to ride/drive/walk appropriately with due caution.

ETA

To play the other side, if that was say a right turn only lane approaching an intersection and it was a car on car, do we give the turning driver a pass? Just food for thought as we discuss infrastructure.

It’s a little like a bus on a freeway shoulder. They can use it to avoid congestion, but they are supposed to go no faster than 15 MPH faster than adjacent traffic to avoid someone unexpectedly moving to the right without seeing.

Bike lanes aren’t 100% safe, but the limitedresearch that exists indicates they are safer in most situations than mixed traffic if they are designed well.

JeepGirl
    Participant

The rider was as inattentive to the traffic situation as the driver was to the possibility of an oncoming cyclist. Both contributed to this crash.

Reading the comments on the youtube video the rider himself states:

“I seem ok. Bike is ok now. Had a bent rim but is now fixed. I learned 2 things from the experience. 1. Get a helmet mirror so you can see behind you without having to look down. 2. Pay closer to when traffic lanes back up even though you are in the bike lane.”

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

JeepGirl said:
    The rider was as inattentive to the traffic situation as the driver was to the possibility of an oncoming cyclist. Both contributed to this crash.

I don’t really disagree with this but would you say the same if the left turning driver hit a car travelling in a right lane? It’s a plausible scenario and it illustrates why cultural and educational changes are needed just as much as infrastructure.

JeepGirl
    Participant

Would I say the same if that situation was a car vs car scenario? Huh, yeah.

JeepGirl said:
    Cycle rider or car driver.

Point is, there are dumbshits in cars and on cycles all over the place.

Your video doesn’t prove that the infrastructure design was good or bad. All it does is demonstrate what can happen when two unattentive vehicle operators get together.

leftovers

lifeontwowheels said:
    I don’t really disagree with this but would you say the same if the left turning driver hit a car travelling in a right lane? It’s a plausible scenario and it illustrates why cultural and educational changes are needed just as much as infrastructure.

Actually I do have a question from all of this. When biking without bike lanes I usually stop behind the car that was in front of me when coming up to a red light, this can sometimes be 10 to 20 yards from the intersection. I often see bikes inching their way along the curb passing cars stopped at the light to get as close to the intersection as possible. A lot of times the cars in the queue are planning on turning right. Those bikers moving along the curb when traffic is slowed or stopped can be stealthy.

To me it seems dangerous, but is it ok for bikes to be moving like this at stoplights?

Timeone

in my understanding you are doing it correctly. Bikers are supposed to wait within the cue like a car for the reason you stated that some might be turning right and as a biker it might be difficult to see the turn indicator as you are cruising the curb.

johnwirtz
    Participant

JeepGirl said:
    Your video doesn’t prove that the infrastructure design was good or bad. All it does is demonstrate what can happen when two unattentive vehicle operators get together.

I agree with this. I was thinking about the time I was closest to being hit on my bicycle and it was in a similar situation, except without a bike lane. I was passing stopped traffic on the right and an oncoming car turned left without the driver being able to see me coming. I suppose this is why drivers and bikers alike are supposed to avoid passing on the right.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

leftovers said:
    Actually I do have a question from all of this. When biking without bike lanes I usually stop behind the car that was in front of me when coming up to a red light, this can sometimes be 10 to 20 yards from the intersection. I often see bikes inching their way along the curb passing cars stopped at the light to get as close to the intersection as possible. A lot of times the cars in the queue are planning on turning right. Those bikers moving along the curb when traffic is slowed or stopped can be stealthy.

To me it seems dangerous, but is it ok for bikes to be moving like this at stoplights?

With nothing ever being enforced, it’s “ok” for cyclists to do whatever the hell they want. Until the police make it a priority (or even a possibility), there essentially are no laws.

But no, you aren’t supposed to pass on the right. You are one of the rare cyclists who actually does it right. I’ll admit I do sometimes filter up between parked cars and stopped traffic.. slowly enough that if someone pulled out or opened their door I would be able to stop (meaning not much faster than walking pace), and usually only if traffic is 5PM-Friday-High-Street-Backed-Up-From-Goodale-To-5th bad.. PLus is has the benefit that I will slow down about 10 other cyclists who would have flown through that situation at full speed 3 inches from the parked car’s doors.

M.O.
    Participant

lifeontwowheels said:

As others have said, a good illustration of two people not paying attention, but I think Darwin has his eye on the cyclist here. I like having a dedicated space to ride as much as the next guy, but in the city grid I still feel safest moving in the same traffic pattern as other vehicles. Easy enough for a serious cyclist to exercise due caution whether separate lane or sharrow, but I foresee a bunch of incidents when the weekend/nice day/let’s-put-air-in-the-tires crowd takes to the streets with the I’ve-got-my-own-bike-lane mentality depicted in the video.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: