Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bexley Giant Eagle

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Bexley Giant Eagle

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • Author

ryan883
    Participant

Walker is correct here. It’s a perfectly fine Kroger.

GCrites80s
    Participant

I wasn’t really motivated to go to other Kroger stores during the 2 1/2 years I lived in Bexley. Maybe I went to the Broad one a time or two and the Brewery District 3 times. It’s not like the Corryville Kroger in Cincinnati where you pretty much had to hit another Kroger from time to time to supplement your finds at Corryville.

I think the biggest problem with the Kroger at Main and Alum is the ability to get in and out of the parking lot. The store is just ok (reminds me of the one on Morse I use to frequent), but the parking lot is hard to get in and out of. That is why I shop at the one on Main; well that and I live east of Bexley so it is closer to me.

I will probably mostly avoid the Giant Eagle they build as well, parking spots may be an issue and just getting in and out is probably going to be pretty crazy. Plus, Giant Eagle is more expensive.

Driving an extra 10 minutes to the other stores is ok by me if I can avoid the headaches. I drive out of my way to go to the Chipotle in Whitehall to avoid the Chipotle in Bexley because of the same entering and exiting issues. I hope I am wrong and it won’t be a big issue (apparently they have studied the ingress and egress of the proposed property). It will be great for people walking, biking, or using COTA though.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I think the biggest problem with the Kroger at Main and Alum is the ability to get in and out of the parking lot. The store is just ok (reminds me of the one on Morse I use to frequent), but the parking lot is hard to get in and out of.

How so? It has a traffic light, which should make it easier than most.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CbusHistoryLibrarian wrote:</div>
    I think the biggest problem with the Kroger at Main and Alum is the ability to get in and out of the parking lot. The store is just ok (reminds me of the one on Morse I use to frequent), but the parking lot is hard to get in and out of.

How so? It has a traffic light, which should make it easier than most.

It’s tight, small, poorly laid out. Many a taxi or professional transportation loiters at entrance blocking traffic. Slow moving, almost intentional, pedestrian traffic, etc.

I frequent this Kroger a lot, solely out of location convenience sadly. I always park my truck on the gravel lot at the west end on Holtzman bc I don’t do big shops here and carrying a few bags beats pulling into the lot any day.

GCrites80s
    Participant

I always parked on the side by the loading docks.

Snarf pretty much hit it on the head. It shouldn’t be hard to navigate, but it is because of bad motorists. You are better off entering by the car wash instead of the main entrance.

The Broad St. Kroger entrance is narrow as well but it seems to move along better. I think there is a balance to be had between too narrow and crowded and too large and sprawling (Meijer on Polaris).

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Oh, I assumed “getting in and out of the parking lot” was in reference to the road-to-lot access and not lot-to-store access. I’ve never had too many major problems, but I don’t go there all that often.

HighLife
    Participant

When entering from the “main” entrance (where the light is, at Main and Alum Creek) you are forced up a bottle-neck of sorts. You can’t just immediately turn left or right to take a space in the back of the lot; you have to go up to the front of the lot, by the store entrance, before turning to either side (where, as someone mentioned earlier, there are often taxis or other vehicles stopped). You can avoid this by entering from either side (I’m partial to the entrance by the car wash, and parking by the loading docks). But to leave the store and head east, back to Bexley, you are forced back down the bottle-neck if you want to use the light to turn left. To add insult to injury, the bottle-neck is where a handful of choice spots are located. More often than not, you get stuck when you are trying to enter/exit because someone simply HAS to park in one of those dumb spots, and doesn’t care if traffic backs up while they wait for someone else to leave.

Yeah, I’ve put too much thought into this…

News
    Participant

Proposed Two-Story Giant Eagle Goes Back to Bexley Commission
    September 18, 2014 7:20 am – Brent Warren

The latest design for a two-story Giant Eagle on Main Street will be presented to the Bexley Planning Commission at its September 22nd meeting. Changes have been made to the design since it was presented last month – the commission tabled a vote on the proposal due to concerns about parking, traffic impacts, and the orientation of the main entrance.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/proposed-two-story-giant-eagle-goes-back-to-bexley-commission-bw1

ejpaw_1
    Participant

I agree that many of these inner ring suburb developments miss their mark; much of Grandview Yard has a very suburban look to it. It seems only the branding has a bit of an urban edge. Sadly, Columbus Commons, smack dab downtown, feels the same, but with a cheaper feel to it. The best new construction that feels place appropriate is the townhouse style buildings on Gay Street. They actually feel as if they’ve been there for decades and lend the street a sense of place. That is the kind of development other developers should look to emulate IMHO.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I agree that many of these inner ring suburb developments miss their mark; much of Grandview Yard has a very suburban look to it.

Well, the Market District and everything around it certainly is suburban by design, but the rest of Grandview Yard is shaping up to be pretty fitting to its urban context (between Downtown and Grandview Heights).

Sadly, Columbus Commons, smack dab downtown, feels the same, but with a cheaper feel to it.

Six story apartment building with groundfloor retail on High Street with an underground parking garage and vibrant urban park behind it? That’s a suburban look?

MHJ
    Participant

When entering from the “main” entrance (where the light is, at Main and Alum Creek) you are forced up a bottle-neck of sorts. You can’t just immediately turn left or right to take a space in the back of the lot; you have to go up to the front of the lot, by the store entrance, before turning to either side (where, as someone mentioned earlier, there are often taxis or other vehicles stopped). You can avoid this by entering from either side (I’m partial to the entrance by the car wash, and parking by the loading docks). But to leave the store and head east, back to Bexley, you are forced back down the bottle-neck if you want to use the light to turn left. To add insult to injury, the bottle-neck is where a handful of choice spots are located. More often than not, you get stuck when you are trying to enter/exit because someone simply HAS to park in one of those dumb spots, and doesn’t care if traffic backs up while they wait for someone else to leave.

<p url2image_parsed=”1″>Yeah, I’ve put too much thought into this…

Exactly. I don’t think you put too much thought into it…that’s just how it is.

Honestly, in thinking about it, that lot would be better off if they closed the entrance at Alum Creek, added more parking, and moved the main entrance over to Holtzman Ave. (adjacent to the KFC) and put a stop light right there. I know Kroger would prefer to have more direct access to the gas station right there, but honestly turning into the gas station from Alum Creek is a pain in the butt as well! Looking at the Google Maps view of the site, that would probably add ~24 spaces to the lot and improve its flow tremendously by creating a rear lane that runs parallel to Main Street. When I get access to a different computer, I will try to rig up a map of the improved traffic flow.

Is that Kroger technically in Columbus or in Bexley?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Is that Kroger technically in Columbus or in Bexley?

Columbus. The border largely follow Alum Creek: http://www.bexley.org/map/

Patch
    Participant

Yeah, I’ve put too much thought into this…

I’m betting not having a left turn signal coming off of the lot hurts as well. You have to wait for all of the northbound traffic either heading into Kroger or heading to Bexley.

Kroger should go to the City to see if they can get another head put on the signal.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: