Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bexley Giant Eagle

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Bexley Giant Eagle

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Bexley in line for Giant Eagle urban prototype

May 17, 2013, 6:00am EDT

Brian R. Ball

Staff reporter-Business First

Columbus developer Frank Kass has outlined plans for a two-story grocery store on the Bexley City Hall site in a deal that calls for the city to acquire the neighboring Bexley Square retail center.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2013/05/17/bexley-in-line-for-giant-eagle-grocery.html

Cbusflyer

Does anybody have a link to the full article?

News
    Participant

Bexley Mayor Excited about New Two-Story Giant Eagle on Main Street
    Published on May 17, 2013 3:30 pm
    By: Brent Warren

A proposal to build a new, two-story Giant Eagle on the site of the current Bexley City Hall was announced this week by Mayor Ben Kessler and local developer Frank Kass. The initial plan calls for the city to move its offices into available space in the Bexley Square Center at 2212-2240 E. Main St.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/bexley-mayor-excited-about-new-two-story-giant-eagle-on-main-street-bw1

RhondaH

Sounds great for Bexley and to some degree Franklin Park. I was hoping GE would build something like this in Olde Towne East. When we lived there we really ached for just a regular grocery.

leftovers

Another grocery store? Crazy how many are popping up.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

leftovers said:
    Another grocery store? Crazy how many are popping up.

Populations are rising in most urban neighborhoods, so the need for groceries and other basic goods and services is going to continue to rise.

Strangely enough though… Bexley is one of the few suburbs in Central Ohio to lose population in the past decade (and steadily since the 1970s):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bexley,_Ohio#Demographics

GCrites80s
    Participant

Landlocked residential areas that don’t increase their density would lose population as family sizes decreased.

Cbusflyer

I think the population decline is more to do with younger couples moving into Bexley and having less kids. My wife and I moved here 4 years ago and have noticed more and more younger couples with no kids moving in.
    It is an awesome community and its proximity to downtown is hard to beat. Even with Kroger near by, nearly everyone I have talked to wants something like this on Main street. I hope it spurs further development on the corner of Park Ave and Main St.

leftovers

GCrites80s said:
    Landlocked residential areas that don’t increase their density would lose population as family sizes decreased.

I can imagine that happening in Upper Arlington also. It appears they are beginning to take steps to avoid that. Regardless, both UA and Bexley have the residential incomes that can support multiple groceries.

That Bexley Kroger was a little dumpy. Hopefully some competition will be good for everyone. I am really surprised that no chain (besides Safeway) has taken a concrete place in KLD or OTE.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Cbusflyer said:
    I think the population decline is more to do with younger couples moving into Bexley and having less kids. My wife and I moved here 4 years ago and have noticed more and more younger couples with no kids moving in.

That’s wrapped up in the phenomenon of which I spoke. We’re both right!

Cbusflyer

Sorry I was posting a reply and did not see your post before I spoke.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

To compound matters, many of these inner-ring suburbs (Grandview, Bexley, UA) don’t have much of a income tax base without large employers and job centers. The cities runs on the residential base, and if that’s in decline it becomes hard to even just maintain legacy infrastructure, let along build new infrastructure.

Grandview is doing a nice job with Grandview Yard. Bexley and Upper Arlington are both infilling with dense mixed-use development, but neither of those seem to be too focused on high-paying employment centers of any real magnitude.

GCrites80s
    Participant

A good example of what it’s like when you pick up tons of commercial and add only a little residential is Groveport. When I was growing up there in the ’80s, it was kind of dumpy. The old CBD was alright, but there weren’t many sidewalks around, the parks were total meh, the pool was usable but very “industrial” and everything was looking really shopworn and left over from the ’40s and ’50s. Then in the ’90s and 2000s a ton of warehouses got built around Rickenbacker.

By this point we didn’t live there any more, but I would still stop in for a visit. Massive infrastructure improvements had taken place all over town. The parks which were just a couple grills and a set of swings were now palaces. The pool got moved across town and had a gym and all kinds of other athletic facilities added to it. The new pool is wonderful. An all-new police station went up. There’s all kinds of little things over town that got fixed up. On the other hand, adding 5,000 residents worth of sprawl wouldn’t have helped much at all; they’d probably wind up with budget problems and the school system which has had perennial operating budget problems (passing levies) would be even worse off.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Bexley’s population loss seems to be almost entirely from losing Whites. All other population demographics are growing. Most urban population loss right now is from the dominant demographic group moving away. This includes the AA population in KL or OTE, the White population in Bexley, Hilltop, Franklinton, the AA population in Linden, etc. All of those areas, with the exception of much of Linden, is at the same time experiencing growth in all minority population groups. So it might just be a function of a diversifying urban core instead of a function of neighborhood decline. And as others have mentioned, these are landlocked areas, so small fluctuations in population can seem to be larger trends than they really are.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Walker said:
    To compound matters, many of these inner-ring suburbs (Grandview, Bexley, UA) don’t have much of a income tax base without large employers and job centers. The cities runs on the residential base, and if that’s in decline it becomes hard to even just maintain legacy infrastructure, let along build new infrastructure.

Grandview is doing a nice job with Grandview Yard. Bexley and Upper Arlington are both infilling with dense mixed-use development, but neither of those seem to be too focused on high-paying employment centers of any real magnitude.

I don’t know, I feel like Grandview Yard is really not living up to it’s potential. It could be much more of a dense development than what’s overall planned. Seems like a missed opportunity for Grandview to take advantage of the very hot urban residential market right now, as well as the whole urban movement.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: