Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Best Used Car Dealers in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Best Used Car Dealers in Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 79 total)
  • Author

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Analogue Kid wrote >>
    I think as far as Toyota is concerned, the marketplace is finally pricing them correctly. In the past 3-4 years, their quality (regardless of any recalls) has been slipping (and American companies dramatically improving) to the point where a Camry is no better than a Chevy Malibu and definitely eclipsed by a Ford Fusion. Prior to the media firestorm, you would pay much more for a similar condition/mileage an 08 Camry than a 08 Malibu. The same may not be true now; at least it shouldn’t be.
    The fact is a majority of people buy a car based on the reputation, not actual recent hard data. Many shoppers still consider GM a poor choice because of the crap they put out from about 1972-1995. I encourage anybody in the market for a vehicle to visit the library and read Consumer Reports to get a current look at vehicle quality. For example, if you think Ford and Hyundai are poor choices, you have some catching up to do.
    /soapbox

I did a whole lot of travel through to mid-2008, and so spent a lot of time behind the wheel of rental cars. While I agree that the Ford products have a pretty good build (they seemed solid enough) and ride quality, they didn’t quite match the Toyotas and Nissans that I rented.

As far as the Malibu, it was an OK car, and I flogged the hell out of more than a few of them, but it wouldn’t be first (or fifth) on my list of cars to own ever. The ride wasn’t that great, and most GM builds consistently feel cheap/chintzy to me. Pretty inferior to the Fords and way worse than the Japanese cars.

The few Hyundais that I got were ugly and drove like total pigs. They were memorably horrible driving cars. Build quality was merely OK.. better than the GMs IIRC, but not as good as the Fords. I’d never own one based on the few I rented. They felt unsafe to drive.

Even so, this is only a small part of the story. The real question is how these cars hold up. US cars have a history of being shoddy, while Japanese cars such as Honda and Toyota have a history of holding up well.

This has been mostly true in my experience. The Hondas that I’ve owned have been very reliable. I could easily see owning another. My brother’s Toyotas have held up just as well.

On the other hand I owned two Ford rangers back in the 80s and 90s, and I’d probably gladly own another. They weren’t perfect, but they were easy enough to work on, cheap to maintain and all around fun trucks. As for GM products? I’d be hard pressed to buy another thanks to an Olds that I owned back in the late 90s. Shudder.

agtw31

cory wrote >>

A salesperson’s job is to sell a car, not give one away. I wouldn’t let $300 keep me from buying the car I want. People think they should go to buy a car,(or any major purchase) and the seller shouldn’t make any money. Salespeople have bills to pay too, and I assure you no one is getting rich in sales these days (Unless they’re selling weapons to the military!)
    Like everything else, there is markup. If most of the things we bought on a daily basis were only marked up 50%, those items wouldn’t be available to us because the companies selling them would go out of business.
    A lot has changed in the car business since the internet revolution. People walk on the lot knowing what they should be paying, so there isn’t as much markup as you might think. A lot of dealers mark a competative price on the window, but people continue to think they should automatically pay $4,000 less. The point is, there are good people in the car sales business who deserve to make a living. Greg and Aaron at Toyota Direct are definitly two of them.

i am sure your freiends are great people,but i am sorry,i have no pity for the car sales industry.

i do have empathy for auto salespeople,they get totally screwed by dealers on their commission structure,and the hours suck.

i would never,ever recommend anyone to sell cars as a career choice,unless you’re already selling dope.

Roland
    Participant

I find that most people are loyal to a particular brand. We see it here that people will still purchase Toyota products in the future. I suppose that’s the in the same ballpark as buying a brand for quality. If people have good experiences, the reputation for quality isn’t so important.

It’s in every brands interest to keep the value of their existing cars high. Especially if they want to be able to have attractive lease offers.

Don’t feel too bad for the auto dealers, incentives come from the manufacturer when they are trying to manage inventory. If they sell a new car for invoice, they still get some coinage. These incentives can be but typically aren’t passed on to the customer.

chuckd1410
    chuckd1410
    Participant

I have to agree with Swamp Kitty. Miracle Motor Mart has low prices and really genuine sales people. The lot on Morse Road looks junkie, but they say it keeps the overhead low. I saved big time on my Accord over anything I saw elsewhere.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

agtw31 wrote >>
    the new twin turbo Flex,and the Fusion are impressive,but Ford still has a way to go.
    if Ford and Hyundai are so great,why does their resale value suck so much,compared to Toyota?

That’s my point. if you buy a used Ford Fusion, you’re getting a heck of a deal because its a good car nobody knows about.

GW_Justice
    Participant

For those who have been ripped off by Ricart, you might like my little revenge.

A few years ago Ricart was running these ads for their “Used car Factory” that had a cheesy CG thing with a car popping out of this mechanical car maker do-hicky. The voice over tried to sell you on the “Explorers, $5k”, “Taurus, only $3K, come down and get them fast”. One night as I watched the ad I wondered “do they really have these cheap cars?

So the first thing in the morning, I called them up and said “OK, sell me a Taurus for $3K”. Ha. Sorry sir, they were sold out. The problem was, they had ran the ad at midnight, and they sold out within minutes of opening the doors? Ricard had been in the news for getting in trouble for crap like this, and I let them know that I knew that fact (and I knew how to make complaints to the correct agencies).

Suddenly the guy on the phone had to talk with his boss. When he got back on, he had somehow found a Sable (the mercury version of the Taurus) on the lot, and he would sell it for $3k. The car had well under 100K miles, perfect condition. I probably got it for half of the price they were selling them for on the lot.

That thing was a tank. Drove it for 8 years, sold it to some teenagers for a few hundred, and I still see it sometimes rusty but rolling through Grandview.

Ricart stopped running those ads on TV.

JonMyers
    Participant

Damnn Stone Philips… I mean GW – badass. That’s awesome.

pez
    Participant

agtw31 wrote >>
    the new twin turbo Flex,and the Fusion are impressive,but Ford still has a way to go.
    if Ford and Hyundai are so great,why does their resale value suck so much,compared to Toyota?
    this accelerator problem is not a huge deal for Toyota,or it’s owners.
    what you have here is just another example of the media pouncing like the jackals they are.

Resale value is simply a reflection of supply vs. demand in the used car market. I agree that a used Toyota will be the choice for most over either of the others 4 out of 5 times, but Ford and Hyundai (and others) don’t do their owners any favors by filling the rental and fleet markets with their cars. This results in an artificially high number of 1-2 year old vehicles in the marketplace driving up supply while doing nothing about demand.

I’m mixed on Toyota’s issues. We own an ’09 RAV4 that’s subject to the recall and I don’t hesitate to load the family up and go. I am concerned that they were investigating the accelerator issue for at least 2 years, then when they are essentially forced by the government to shut down a solution is found in a week. I’m also disappointed in them for the apparent lengths they went to in efforts to bury issues and keep them from NHTSA.

Discounting the gas pedal, I still don’t see the same Toyota quality in this truck as others in the past. The transmission shifts rough, it rattles and squeaks more than I think it should and the rear wiper stops working from time to time. Overall though, I like the truck, it drives nice and can swallow a surprising amount if stuff. The only concern I have about resale value would be if it’s wrecked, otherwise we drive them into the ground.

10sun

I’ve had 3 Fords. 2x 1995 Ford Taurus & 1x 2000 F150XL. Transmissions went out in all of them. I suspect I am a shitty driver.

Sourcing used cars?

Depends on what you are looking for.
    For a daily driver: non-rental fleet sales are my favorite choice. I picked up my F150XL in early 2002 for $6000, pristine condition aside from some velcro on the dash from where the salesman had kept his gps mounted. It had ~60,000 miles on it at the time. I replaced the tranny at 150k, starter & alternator @ 180k, I spun a cylinder bearing at 205k and I just parked it at my house until I can drop another engine in it.

Took $500 and bought a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Package from my old company as they were replacing their security vehicles. Minor damage to front grill where they hit a deer at low speeds, hood latch is wonky & the radiator has a slight curve to it & there are some rust spots around there. Has brand new tires with the whiskers still on them, BFG A/Ts… not the most expensive, but worth more than what I paid for the Jeep in it’s entirety.

For $500, I could give a shit less if it lasts a long time so long as it gets me around for the next couple of months; damn cheaper than a car payment and I could easily recoup my initial $500 cost right now by selling it to another private party.

I will always advocate private party purchases over auctions over used car dealers.

Getting to that point can be difficult however… oh well.

Anybody here have an 77-83 Cherokee Chief W/T they want to get rid of? (I’ve seen the one over on 4th… too much work needed there).

agtw31

10sun wrote >> .
    Anybody here have an 77-83 Cherokee Chief W/T they want to get rid of? (I’ve seen the one over on 4th… too much work needed there).

every w/t ive seen has been a rustbucket,might try down south.

10sun

agtw31 wrote >>

10sun wrote >> .

every w/t ive seen has been a rustbucket,might try down south.

Yeah, I know… thinking it might be a trip to AZ/Cali to get it someday.

Parker
    Participant

agtw31 wrote >>
    this accelerator problem is not a huge deal for Toyota,or it’s owners.
    what you have here is just another example of the media pouncing like the jackals they are.

RE: Ford and Hyundai – I think resale is based on past performance and consumer brand perception. Recent trends in quality improvement will not affect this for some time. They, and GM will need to overcome decades of below the bar quality even though it is true that a Fusion and Malibu are equals to a Camry.

Parker
    Participant

So, who is the best dealer to go to for a used car?

agtw31

Gene Vaughan Used cars

on Parsons ave.,of course

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

That’s a tough question. Trustworthy dealers are in many different locations.

I think the most complete marketplace to locate a used car is http://www.autotrader.com. I ignore the listed prices because you’ll need to negotiate anyway.

Most dealers use http://www.Nada.com to determine value.

I use http://www.edmunds.com to determine value based on demand.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 79 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION