Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Best Used Car Dealers in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Best Used Car Dealers in Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 79 total)
  • Author

cc

Remember that with any used car purchase it is best to have a non-biased mechanic look it over before buying. AAA on West 3rd in Grandview does a used car check up and the last time I checked the price was $99.

JonMyers
    Participant

I’ve never used them, but it seems that a service like CarFax[/url], which allows you to check the history of the car would be useful when buying a used car.

Mercurius
    Participant

I can’t believe no one has said anything about Auto Auction on S. SR 104. That is where most of the dealers are getting their cars.
    http://www2.manheim.com/locations/OAA/events

Twixlen
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    I’ve never used them, but it seems that a service like CarFax[/url], which allows you to check the history of the car would be useful when buying a used car.

You know – I always thought that too… I got a CarFax report on a car, on a dealer’s lot, that was still under standard manufacturer’s warranty (barely) – because it seemed strange to me that a year old car would have more than 30K miles, and be back on a lot (and it was a car I was having trouble finding decent used, period). I bought it, and was quite happy with it until….

Drove it to NY for the holidays. The car had a stupidly low airdam on the front, and driving thru an ice rutted parking lot, it got scraped/bumped… pretty hard, but not hard enough that it would have done anything to it. Long story short, it loosened the whole underside of the airdam, and when I got over 40mph, the wind would push it against a tire. Fortunately, my extremely-good-with-cars-brother was visiting, and he took a look at it (eventually fixed it with racing “snaps”) and told me that the car had been wrecked – that the whole front end had been off it. He showed me what to look for, and it was so clear he was right.

I was then getting my oil changed at the dealership (I got coupons – it was cheap) where I’d bought the car, and the receptionist asks me if I’d bought the car there…. and turns out, it was the car of another person who works there…. and it all started to make sense; how the car could have been in an obviously serious wreck, and yet have a clean CarFax.

That was too long… but, basically – the CarFax isn’t the whole story of a vehicle.

Roland
    Participant

Mercurius wrote >>
    I can’t believe no one has said anything about Auto Auction on S. SR 104. That is where most of the dealers are getting their cars.
    http://www2.manheim.com/locations/OAA/events

Damn. Excellent call.

Does anyone have a dealer’s license and willing to work with CU members?

agtw31

jon,
    carfaxes are nice,but some dealers forge these,so you have no choice but to get your own.
    dealers don’t like offering carfaxes because they don’t really want to know.

here is why:
    most buyers for major car lots buy cars at auctions through 2 different rows at the auctions.
    you have a guaranteed car row(car is guaranteed by the auction house to be free of defects),and then you have the as is row.

the guaranteed row is the good stuff,and what’s kept at the major lot’s used car inventory

the as is row is what you see on buy here/pay here lots like JD Byrider
    they are nothing but high mileage rental cars that have had the shit run out of them.they are one tank of gas away from blowing up.

these usually sell for $300-$400 at the auction,and are total junk.

they stick these on the lot for $1000 down,and $75 a week,and dealers make a killing on these pieces of shit.

buyer signs the purchase contract for $75 a week,car lasts a month,and blows up.
    buyer takes the car back,and they put them in another POS,and it starts all over again.

every major car dealer in Columbus has a buy here/pay here lot,it just doesn’t have their name.
    the profit margin is too high for them to ignore.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Although I don’t really have any intention of doing so, I’m wondering if I could go to a “buy here pay here” type place and just buy a car outright or if they would force me to play their game.

agtw31

you’d still be buying a piece of shit

this is the king of junk rental car dealers in Columbus

http://www.autovilleusa.com/used-inventory/index.htm

Analogue Kid
    Participant

agtw31 wrote >>
    you’d still be buying a piece of shit

True but I enjoy fixing cars

JonMyers
    Participant

Hey agtw31, do you see a need for a website that better serves buyers and sellers of used cars? What would that be like?

agtw31

jon,the info is already out there.

it’s actually a combination of looking at several websites,and doing a little research.

want to know what a car is really worth?go to Ebay and see what they sold for.Kelly blue book is dead meat,it’s simply a tool created by dealers to rip a customer off.

if you want a real education,go to the local car auction house here in Columbus on Jackson Pike,or the one off Groveport Rd.and watch what brand new cars sell for at fleet sales.

it would blow your mind.brand new Lincolns and Cadillacs with 3000 miles on them selling for 15-20k,and their sticker prices were 45k-50k.

dealers rely on 2 things to stay alive: consumer ignorance and consumer laziness.

Parker
    Participant

I’ve purchased a number of cars from Skipco auto auction in Wayne County. They don’t require a dealer license and I’ve been told that the factors related to a car being up for auction determine whether a dealer is the only one that can bid.

agtw31 is right, KBB is a broken tool. I’ve gotten some good pricing from Edmunds.com true market value, but that is only a guide.

JonMyers
    Participant

I’ve always heard about the steals that are available at auctions, but really have no idea how to coordinate all of it.

On top of that there are so many auction scams out there.

Roland
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    I’ve always heard about the steals that are available at auctions, but really have no idea how to coordinate all of it.
    On top of that there are so many auction scams out there.

How about a “priceline” model for cars. Customer says I’ll pay X for Y. Agreement is made where business has a period of time to find the car wholesale at auction. Profit?!

JonMyers
    Participant

That’s kind of a sweet idea Roland. It seems like sellers could have standard and premium listings. The premium listings could have a certified seal from a trusted local mechanic.

With any marketplace trust rules and there is plenty of mistrust with used cars.

The reason I bring up used car certifications is I had some entrepreneurs pitch me on an idea for a used car certification website. I would imagine something like that is out there. Anyhow, it seemed interesting enough, but when web ideas delve into the physical realm they get too complicated and costly to execute on for my tastes.

Although, I’m always curious about other people’s thoughts on that sort of thing.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 79 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: