Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Best Used Car Dealers in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Best Used Car Dealers in Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
  • Author

DonnaTate

I’m in the market for a different car, and I was wondering if anyone could suggest dealers they’ve had good experiences with….or ones to avoid. I’m not looking for financing so that isn’t a factor. I just want to make sure they’re reputable. I don’t know much about cars (although I do have a great resource available to help with that), and I’m afraid of winding up with something that isn’t exactly what it appears to be. *sigh*

cory

I worked in the car sales business for about a year before I started working with CU. Aaron Nadalson or Greg Gee at Toyata Direct on Morse Rd are two great guys. They are both very knowlegable, easy to get along with, and no pressure type of guys (Although Greg is a little A.D.D!) You can check out some of the pre-owned inventory online @ http://toyotadirect.com/used-inventory/index.htm?reset=InventoryListing

Twixlen
    Participant

DonnaTate wrote >>
    I’m in the market for a different car, and I was wondering if anyone could suggest dealers they’ve had good experiences with….or ones to avoid. I’m not looking for financing so that isn’t a factor. I just want to make sure they’re reputable. I don’t know much about cars (although I do have a great resource available to help with that), and I’m afraid of winding up with something that isn’t exactly what it appears to be. *sigh*

I bought a used Honda from Immke. It was a painless process, and they had a decent selection of “certified” vehicles (which has different warranty stuff). The sales guy wasn’t a jerk (are you sure you need AWD/4 wheel drive, little lady), and I had financing together when I went there, and the finance guy actually beat it with Honda’s financing.

I also bought a used car from Toyota Direct once – they were OK. The whole sale went a little more classic-car-sales (I’ll have to talk to my manager), but I still felt like I got a decent deal.

TIP: Buy on the last or next to last day of the month – they are always much more motivated to get that car off the lot before the new month starts.

Lakee911
    Participant

Don’t use Craiglist! :)

hobbesOSU

I’ve used Carmax twice. Both times I’ve gotten great cars that I still drive today. They won’t move on price, but their selection is really great. So if you have a particular car in mind like I did, they’ll ship it here from any Carmax nationwide, for a price. ;)

agtw31

cory wrote >>
    I worked in the car sales business for about a year before I started working with CU. Aaron Nadalson or Greg Gee at Toyata Direct on Morse Rd are two great guys. They are both very knowlegable, easy to get along with, and no pressure type of guys (Although Greg is a little A.D.D!) You can check out some of the pre-owned inventory online @ http://toyotadirect.com/used-inventory/index.htm?reset=InventoryListing

i suggest looking on ebay locally,or maybe in Cleveland and Cincinnatti.

there is no such thing as a good used car dealer.they will all try to rape you on your trade-in,and waste 4 hours of your time,trying that lame fast track sales pitch.

couple years ago,i went with a friend from Franklin,Ohio to toyota direct to purchase a used minivan.he already spoke to the salesperson and had set an appointment for the car to be seen.
    my friend was trading in a $500 POS.he told the salesperson he wanted $600 on trade.

these idiots spent a half hour beating on my friend,offering $300 for his trade.

i told my friend to get up,and let’s just leave.

the next day,the same asshole saleperson from toyota direct called him,and told him he’d give the $600 on trade.

what a moron.

dru
    Participant

it’s been years (2003 or 4), but friends recommended using College Car Company on North High in Clintonville. I did and really liked the experience. They were pretty straightforward and didn’t haggle.

manticore33
    Participant

Another key, try to negotiate on the out-the-door price. I recently purchased a new-to-me-used car and the used dealer wanted to saddle me with over $300 in dealer fees. I told him that I would not take it unless the out the door price was $XX (including sales tax).He got within a hundred dollars of that and I drove up to get it. I was quite happy, but be warned they might try to tack on ‘extras’ that raise the final price.

derm
    derm
    Participant

For a small local dealer, I recommend Larry Burchfield at Third Ave Auto near Grandview. I have purchased 2 vehicles from him. He works on the vehicles himself.

http://www.thirdaveauto.com/

Jimbo Jones

Ricart?

Lakee911
    Participant

Jimbo Jones wrote >>
    Ricart?

Corrupt.

Roland
    Participant

I figure out exactly what car I want and then shop online for it. I handle financing and trade-in issues before I set foot on a dealer lot. The only focus you should have is the price of the car. Eliminate all the other variables.

My point is, that you really cant trust any used auto dealer, so price shop. Get the car you want and have it maintained by the auto mechanic that you trust.

Totally doesn’t answer your question though, sorry! lol

Twixlen
    Participant

Lakee911 wrote >>

Jimbo Jones wrote >>
    Ricart?

Corrupt.

Yes. PLEASE I BEG YOU, stay away from those folks. Bad, bad mojo there. I have stories.

Twixlen
    Participant

Roland wrote >>
    I figure out exactly what car I want and then shop online for it. I handle financing and trade-in issues before I set foot on a dealer lot. The only focus you should have is the price of the car. Eliminate all the other variables.
    My point is, that you really cant trust any used auto dealer, so price shop. Get the car you want and have it maintained by the auto mechanic that you trust.
    Totally doesn’t answer your question though, sorry! lol

+1 – When I’ve shopped around, I’ll generally narrow it down to two or three different vehicles, then find them out on lots and go test drive them – with NO intention of purchasing them. The driving experience is important to me, so I can’t just pick a car out of thin air.

Once I’ve narrowed it down to 1 or 2 different vehicles, I check out what is available online (not always a good indicator – some dealerships are terrible about updating their stock), and start working the deal.

The car I bought from Immke was done on the last day of the month – I got the price I wanted for my trade in, I paid exactly what I intended for the vehicle, and I always like to make the dealership throw in something. This time it was an auto-dimming rear view with temp and compass.

Jimbo Jones

Twixlen wrote >>

Lakee911 wrote >>

Jimbo Jones wrote >>
    Ricart?

Corrupt.

Yes. PLEASE I BEG YOU, stay away from those folks. Bad, bad mojo there. I have stories.

But he has such snazzy commercials. And isn’t that what it’s really all about?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION