Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Best Thai in Columbus?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Best Thai in Columbus?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 84 total)
  • Author

Hael

hungrywoolf
    Participant

Bahn Thai (Henderson Rd) – I went there recently and enjoyed it. Small and cosy – maybe not the best Thai in Columbus but definitely a good option.

DavidF
    Participant

Sounds good. I’ll have to give it a try. I’m still a huge fan of Bangkok and PS Thaithai

Tenzo
    Participant

The new Thai Orchid is, by far, the best Thai I have had in Columbus.

My ONLY complaint is that they gave PR names to a lot of the food on the menu. I asked if ‘Tiger Tear’ was Nam Tok and she blushed and said yes.

and IT ROCKED

(Trust me, you can count the number of times on one hand that I have said a place around here got it right)

DavidF
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>
    The new Thai Orchid is, by far, the best Thai I have had in Columbus.
    My ONLY complaint is that they gave PR names to a lot of the food on the menu. I asked if ‘Tiger Tear’ was Nam Tok and she blushed and said yes.
    and IT ROCKED
    (Trust me, you can count the number of times on one hand that I have said a place around here got it right)

Then I really have to try it. Good Nam Tok is not to be underestimated.

JonMyers
    Participant

We ate at Basil yesterday, which just opened in the Short North.

I have a new favorite Thai place. I thought the food was awesome. The interior was really well done. I hope they can keep up the quality.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Thai Orchid.

I like that I live about :45 seconds away from it.

:)

Lakee911
    Participant

I know that you said Columbus, but there is a place in Dayton called Thai West. It’s very very good. They even make their own Coconut Milk icecream.

I’ve been meaning to try the Thai Orchid myself.

Jason

dirtgirl
    Participant

does Pad Thai serve beer? I was disappointed, the last time I checked, the Thai Grocery adjacent to Bangkok doesn’t sell beer, so I couldn’t bring my own.

Also a warning that Bangkok uses MSG. I took a friend there and she had a really horrible reaction. We asked the waitress and she apologized and said you can request them not to use it. I love the food, though.

And I totally disagree with whomever said Bangkok is a “dive”. Maybe it’s not white tablecloth (it has those cute paper zodiac placemats), but it’s a perfectly presentable family restaurant. It may look like a hole in the wall from the outside, but it’s fine inside. I suspect previous poster didn’t bother to go inside.

Tenzo
    Participant

dirtgirl wrote >>
    does Pad Thai serve beer? I was disappointed, the last time I checked, the Thai Grocery adjacent to Bangkok doesn’t sell beer, so I couldn’t bring my own.
    Also a warning that Bangkok uses MSG. I took a friend there and she had a really horrible reaction. We asked the waitress and she apologized and said you can request them not to use it. I love the food, though.
    And I totally disagree with whomever said Bangkok is a “dive”. Maybe it’s not white tablecloth (it has those cute paper zodiac placemats), but it’s a perfectly presentable family restaurant. It may look like a hole in the wall from the outside, but it’s fine inside. I suspect previous poster didn’t bother to go inside.

It can be a good place to bring a family and still a dive.
    It’s pretty much what you would expect for the area.
    Having been in, twice, I would not argue against it being a dive.
    However, some of my absolutly favorite places are dives.

DavidF
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>

dirtgirl wrote >>

It can be a good place to bring a family and still a dive.
    It’s pretty much what you would expect for the area.
    Having been in, twice, I would not argue against it being a dive.
    However, some of my absolutly favorite places are dives.

I like the atmosphere at Bangkok. Very friendly, very accommodating. They are what they are, and if someone doesn’t want to go there because they don’t like the way it looks, more for me. ;)

Of course I’m a big fan of dives myself.

lifeliberty
    Participant

FYI Thai Lotus in Lynn Alley is the same owners as Bangkok on Refugee. last I was there I had the Szechwan Shrimp, it was very good with the right amount of heat. I don’t do their buffet stuff, so it was cooked up fresh.

Thai Lotus scares the hell out of me. I know that it’s ridiculous, but I can’t bring myself to eat there anymore.

Lakee911
    Participant

NYCtransplant wrote >>
    I have to go with Thai Lagoon on Schrock right across from Budweiser. It’s inside a little hotel which is a bit of an unfortunate, inauspicious location, but the food rocks. :)

I went there on Saturday. Price was right and food was good. It’s probably the closest place to me. I’ll go back.

SJT
    SJT
    Participant

We ate at Thai Grill in Westerville yesterday. Some of the best tasting& prettiest food I have had in a while. A regular tipped me off to it with a strong recommendation. The fact that they source as much as they can locally got my attention enough to make the drive out there for lunch. We shared a fresh summer roll& some satay tofu as well as a spicy noodle dish with tofu. They use organic meat in their dishes. They can make most any of the menu items vegetarian too. It really is worth the drive.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 84 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.