Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Assisting Refugees in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Assisting Refugees in Columbus

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Hi,
    I’ve got a rental property that is open and I’m considering donating the space to a Syrian refugee family for a period of a year or two. Does anyone have any experience with refugee services in Columbus? The two names I’ve gotten so far are “World Relief Columbus” and “community refugee and immigration services” (the latter of which appears to be associated with an Episcopal Church). What can anyone tell me about these or other agencies? I’m extremely careful about who I choose to do business with. Any agency should be strictly on the up-and-up and not have any ulterior agenda going on on the side. No evangelizing for any particular religion, no political involvement in any social side issues (economic side issues are ok), etc. etc.

drew
    Participant

I’ve worked with CRIS (Community Refugee Immigration Services) some, and have found them to be a stand-up organization. They may be nominally Episcopal, but from what I could see, religion has little bearing on the day-to-day workings of their organization. They have a non-trivial number of Muslims working there, and many of the other staff struck me as being largely agnostic in demeanor. I literally didn’t hear any religion-related talk (aside from the basics of accommodating some Muslim food/modesty desires) whatsoever.

Last time I spoke with someone at CRIS, they had noted that they get all sorts of calls for people wanting to help with Syrian refugees that Columbus just doesn’t have here yet. From their perspective (and I tend to agree…), there’s nothing about being Syrian that makes one refugee more worthy of help than another from somewhere else… and we do currently have plenty of refugees that need help from other parts of the world.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

From their perspective (and I tend to agree…), there’s nothing about being Syrian that makes one refugee more worthy of help than another from somewhere else

Worthiness may not be at play, but there aren’t governors and mayors around the country threatening not to accept refugees from other countries.

drew
    Participant

Worthiness may not be at play, but there aren’t governors and mayors around the country threatening not to accept refugees from other countries.

Fair point, but I don’t think the local refugee services share any of the discriminatory attitudes of those politicians. My interpretation of their point of view would be that every refugee that makes it to Columbus is equally in need of aid as they settle into their new lives here. These organizations are small and localized to the point that they can only help the refugees that are allowed to come to Central Ohio.

Big picture, though, is that if you help with any existing refugees, you’re helping to free resources for those who have not arrived yet.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Try this group: https://www.facebook.com/USTogetherIncColumbus/

Ned23, That’s a great thing for you to do, I hope it works out.

pedex
    Participant

From their perspective (and I tend to agree…), there’s nothing about being Syrian that makes one refugee more worthy of help than another from somewhere else… and we do currently have plenty of refugees that need help from other parts of the world.

Oh I dunno, our govt has certainly participated in creating a big part of the cause for the refugee situation trying to overthrow Assad’s govt using mercenaries and terrorists to do so.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Yeah, I don’t want that to get lost in the discussion, I think this is amazing stuff Ned.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

Somebody create an app, or Facebook could do something like are you safe campaign. It’s frustrating in the micro immediate trying to help with a house. Katrina experience pre social media days.

I would love for everyone to acknowledge that this is a mess created by our Country…. Not advocating sending one more troop there. I’m saying we need to stop playing geo political games. I don’t want to see more pictures of rows of dead kids. A recent frontline is a good primer on conditions.
    Think about the record of the people(g bush, Obama)we have hired to run things for us.

drew
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Anne Evans wrote:</div>

Yeah, I don’t want that to get lost in the discussion, I think this is amazing stuff Ned.

Agreed!

The only point I’ve been trying to make is that the Syrian refugees aren’t here yet, and due to the absurd political overreaction to the Paris terrorism, they might not be for a bit more. I recall seeing an infographic in the NYT just before the Paris attacks that showed that Ohio had received less than 10 Syrian refugees.

The US usually does the right thing eventually, as it relates to refugee resettlement, and I suspect that after a few news cycles or so we’ll be receiving all of the right people from all of the neediest places. In the mean time, if you have a space empty and waiting for someone, there’s someone here to be helped – and helping them will help anyone who comes after them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!