Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Best place to buy a queen bed locally

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Best place to buy a queen bed locally

This topic contains 15 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anaerobia 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Anaerobia

I’m in the market for buying a new bed, preferably queen size. Would anyone here have any suggestions as a decent outlet in town? Looking for either a natural latex or spring mattress not requiring a box spring.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

CU regular DavidF works locally for Mattress Firm. We bought our queen size mattress from him 10 months ago (the discussion is buried (pun intended) in this SNOW thread), and I imagine he could provide some info on either sales or promotions currently going on. We’re really happy with our purchase from him.

DavidF
    Participant

I’m stuck up here in the wilds of Minnesota right now, but I’d be happy to answer any questions you might have. Just shoot me a PM.

I’m glad to hear you’re happy Walker. It was a pleasure doing business with you guys!

patient_zero
    Participant

Anaerobia, DavidF is a sure bet for a quality mattress and unparalleled service. Definitely send him a PM.

DavidF – Do you have the Army Navy game on there up in the Pipestone state?

DavidF
    Participant

patient_zero said:
    Anaerobia, DavidF is a sure bet for a quality mattress and unparalleled service. Definitely send him a PM.

DavidF – Do you have the Army Navy game on there up in the Pipestone state?

Unfortunately we were super busy at work so I missed it.

Anaerobia

I stopped at Original Mattress Factory and they had seemingly decent pricing. Didn’t buy anything as I’m still shopping around. I did stop by a place called Sleep Well Columbus on Norton Ave in Grandview and a fellow I met was selling them out of a warehouse. They are all sealed and while the selection is rather small, a similar mattress at O.M.F. was about $150 more. They have decent reviews on Google Review and I was told their mattresses are made here in the US (TN or one of the Carolinas).

I’ll look into the Mattress Firm and see what they have.

Thanks

Anaerobia

DavidF, PM sent.

DavidF
    Participant

Anaerobia said:
    I stopped at Original Mattress Factory and they had seemingly decent pricing. Didn’t buy anything as I’m still shopping around. I did stop by a place called Sleep Well Columbus on Norton Ave in Grandview and a fellow I met was selling them out of a warehouse. They are all sealed and while the selection is rather small, a similar mattress at O.M.F. was about $150 more. They have decent reviews on Google Review and I was told their mattresses are made here in the US (TN or one of the Carolinas).

I’ll look into the Mattress Firm and see what they have.

Thanks

If you want to know where a mattress is made, look at the law tag and the head of the mattress. It has a list of what materials go into the mattress, when it was made, and where it was made.

I know Mattress Firm’s Sealys and Stearns and Fosters are made in Medina.

Also, make sure you know what the exchange/return policies are on any mattress you might purchase. Nothing is a bigger waste of money than buying a mattress only to realize it doesn’t work for you and there is no way to exchange or return it.

FWIW: Warning flags that something is less than desirable include, no law tag (sure sign of a used mattress), a retailer who is unwilling to put their promises in writing, and return/exchange policies that are overly complicated and/or expensive (i.e. must buy their protector, 25% restocking fees, exchanges must be for same amount or greater, no returns allowed, etc.)

You can get great deals on clearance beds or floor models, but take lots of time to make sure that this is something that you can actually sleep comfortably on since these will generally be as is sales with no warranties.

Finally, when you shop for a mattress, wear clothes that are comfortable to lay down in! There is no other way to figure out if a mattress will work for you other than to lay on it. Pushing down on the top tells you nothing. Sitting on the edge tells you whether or not that mattress would make a good couch. Lay down and try it out in a couple of sleeping positions for several minutes. You shouldn’t feel the need to shift around, nor should you feel pressure build up (esp. important for side sleepers). There should be no gap between the mattress and your body, nor should you feel like you are “hammocking” into the mattress.

If anyone has any other questions, I’d be happy to answer them. It’s an important element in our lives that few of us give enough thought to.

And no, you don’t have to buy from me to get honest advice…… ;)

Hi this is Kevin mentioned in an above repsonse from Sleep Well Columbus on Norton Ave.

Thanks for the kind words Anaerobia, we try our hardest to give you the lowest cost and typically do save $150 or more from what you would find in a retail store.

We love this city and are happy to be doing what we are doing. If in the future you or anyone else reading this would like to give us a shot call us for an appointment at 614-432-7565. We can help with delivery too.

Visit us on the web at Sleep Well Columbus

Scapino
    Participant

Gonna bump this thread to thank DavidF for helping us out with our mattress search; we needed a king set and hadn’t purchased a mattress is ~10 years. He helped us figure our what we needed, made sure we weren’t getting ripped off, and convinced us to lie on mattresses for ridiculously long periods of time to make sure we liked it. Grove City is a bit of a drive for us but it was worth it to know we weren’t getting scammed.

We ended up going with a Tempurpedic, which we were unsure about walking in, and much more comfortable with walking out.

I would definitely recommended talking to DavidF for anyone else looking for a mattress in Columbus.

groundrules
    Participant

man, i just called a phone number I saw on the sign at the exit ramp, and I’m sleepin’ like a champ!!

Graybeak
    Participant

groundrules said:
    man, i just called a phone number I saw on the sign at the exit ramp, and I’m sleepin’ like a champ!!

I was gonna call boy fido craigslist guy

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I’d love to get a tempurpedic pillow but they’re $100+.

Mercurius
    Participant

Not local but… made in New York and quality construction:
    http://www.charlesprogers.com/

Graybeak
    Participant

I suppose there is always sleepwellkevin. Seems legit!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: